Link: Mississippi State Eyes Playoff and Another Shot at Alabama

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Say what you will but it would be difficult to find another one-loss team "more deserving" of a top four seed than MSU right now other than, obviously, us. But my suspicion is that they need Baylor to lose to K-State and at least two of Oregon, TCU, and Ohio State to lose to be sure.

Plus, they have to win, and I actually think Ole Miss is the better all-around team of the two.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Say what you will but it would be difficult to find another one-loss team "more deserving" of a top four seed than MSU right now other than, obviously, us. But my suspicion is that they need Baylor to lose to K-State and at least two of Oregon, TCU, and Ohio State to lose to be sure.

Plus, they have to win, and I actually think Ole Miss is the better all-around team of the two.
if they're not careful, they may drop saturday's game to vandy ;)

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Wait till all the ESPN talking heads start talking about their silly OOC schedule and the fact they had KY and VU from the East.
Anyway, I think they'd better worry about beating Mississippi first. The Ackbar's defense is still in the top 10. I don't know that Mississippi can score enough to win, but I wouldn't bet on it either way.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Agree that there was some terrible time management at the end of the game, but that was far from being "only 5 points shy" too. Put more time on the clock and Bama scores again and it ends as it should have with a 12 point difference.
We were also clearly playing "they can't score twice" defense. That last TD of theirs was a trash TD.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
LOL, we had our chance for a rematch not too long ago (LSU 2011), so I am just going to withhold comments. Though it is tempting...
Have to agree, except I won't withhold. The lot of you sound a bit ridiculous right now. After the game everyone here was all "good game, great team etc." Now they show a little pride/spine/etc and it's a dog pile.

You all forget our second chance vs LSU? I'm not comparing teams, just circumstances. You remember feeling better than lsu, despite the loss due to missed field goals? Maybe they feel the same with those interceptions.

My point is, they are a good enough challenge that respect should be given and not count them out. This was by FAR our closest game of the season at home, where we've been nigh invincible.

Last edited:

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
I will smile when Ohio State passes them up after championship Saturday. Besides, I think the OM defense will give them trouble, too. That game is 50/50 as I see it.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Have to agree, except I won't withhold. The lot of you sound a bit ridiculous right now. After the game everyone here was all "good game, great team etc." Now they show a little pride/spine/etc and it's a dog pile.

You all forget our second chance vs LSU? I'm not comparing teams, just circumstances. You remember feeling better than lsu, despite the loss due to missed field goals? Maybe they feel the same with those interceptions.

My point is, they are a good enough challenge that respect should be given and not count them out. This was by FAR our closest game of the season at home, where we've been nigh invincible.
It's not that they show confidence. It's that they say they only needed five more minutes. They got the ball back with 3:18 left on the clock at their own 28 down 25-13. They played like the game just started. Don't talk about "only needing five more minutes" when you didn't play like the game was almost over.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
It's not that they show confidence. It's that they say they only needed five more minutes. They got the ball back with 3:18 left on the clock at their own 28 down 25-13. They played like the game just started. Don't talk about "only needing five more minutes" when you didn't play like the game was almost over.
And THAT is a logical thought stream

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA

My point is, they are a good enough challenge that respect should be given and not count then out. This was by FAR our closest game of the season at home, where we've been nigh invincible.
Yeah, we got a rematch with LSU. But I wouldn't really consider the two situations identical. MSU trailed by multiple scores the entire game. Yes, MSU had 3 interceptions. Did Dak throw 3 picks, or did we intercept it 3 times? Extrapolating that they would have scored if the defense didn't end the drive is a bit much, imo. We lost to LSU in 2011 after statistically dominating the game and leaving 15 points on the field in regulation. MSU didn't leave points on the field-we denied them points.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.