Link: Mississippi State Eyes Playoff and Another Shot at Alabama

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

Something about the Bulldogs' 20-6 run and finishing only 5 points shy gave them confidence. In spite of losing the red zone battle, the field position battle and the turnover battle, they were right there at the end. As Mullen said, it wouldn't have taken a "Herculean effort" for them to win the game.

"Everybody felt like if we had five more minutes it would have been a different game," said linebacker Richie Brown. "So I know everybody wants a piece of them again."
Well Mr. Brown, you would have had five more more minutes if your coach knew how to use timeouts or get the offense moving fast.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
After reading that comment, I went back and watched the tape again. They did not manage the game well in the 4th quarter. As soon they got the ball, they should've went no huddle and get the ball down there quick as possible. They would've had 4 minutes left when they had the ball... potentially getting the ball back again with 1 minute left. They are full of it. I honestly think, no matter what happened, If we had caught the ball like we should've in third quarter, the game would've been by 3 touchdowns anyway, so their argument and view is a moot point. I don't care if we play them again, we know what to do this time.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
Link

Well Mr. Brown, you would have had five more more minutes if your coach knew how to use timeouts or get the offense moving fast.
Agree that there was some terrible time management at the end of the game, but that was far from being "only 5 points shy" too. Put more time on the clock and Bama scores again and it ends as it should have with a 12 point difference.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
After reading that comment, I went back and watched the tape again. They did not manage the game well in the 4th quarter. As soon they got the ball, they should've went no huddle and get the ball down there quick as possible. They would've had 4 minutes left when they had the ball... potentially getting the ball back again with 1 minute left. They are full of it. I honestly think, no matter what happened, If we had caught the ball like we should've in third quarter, the game would've been by 3 touchdowns anyway, so their argument and view is a moot point. I don't care if we play them again, we know what to do this time.
I am now officially rooting for Ole Miss to beat them. it will end all discussion!

Timberline Tide

All-American
Jun 9, 2010
Colorado
dear mr brown, you already faced, and lost, to Alabama after they had only a week to prepare and that coming off a road win at LSU.

Do you really want a rematch after Saban has even more time to prepare for you?

twofbyc

Suspended
Oct 14, 2009
I would make a friendly wager just for giggles and squirts that the top four will change by the final listing; and in the doing, not only might MSU not be in the final four, they may in fact have to play someone else first.
Can you imagine MSU vs Bama for the National Championship? I don't think I could stand the whining.....

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I would make a friendly wager just for giggles and squirts that the top four will change by the final listing; and in the doing, not only might MSU not be in the final four, they may in fact have to play someone else first.
Can you imagine MSU vs Bama for the National Championship? I don't think I could stand the whining.....
As slim as odds may be for two SEC teams in the 4-team playoff, the odds of them not playing each other in the semifinal are even slimmer (as in zero)

Bidgood

3rd Team
Apr 27, 2011
We make our field goal, then we don't have to go for 2, so it's 29-20. They'd be asking for 10 more minutes...

twofbyc

Suspended
Oct 14, 2009
As slim as odds may be for two SEC teams in the 4-team playoff, the odds of them not playing each other in the semifinal are even slimmer (as in zero)
Slim - indeed. Zero? Absloutely not. Bama could get bumped from the top spot with a lackluster performance in either of two game, and maybe end up third. If Oregon and FSU win out, and MSU barley beats OM (remember the injury criteria?), they still couldn't put MSU ahead of Bama. Too much football left to be played to say "zero".
In certain scenarios, the "book-cooking" would be evident for having Bama and MSU play each other in the 1st round. I just see the possibility (slim) that it won't happen - any given Saturday...

GreatMarch

All-SEC
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Does Mississippi State not realize that they were playing a gassed football team in the second half? Gives us 3 to 4 weeks to rest up and prepare for a 1st round playoff match up and that half time score of 19-0 might be 28-0 with plenty of second half energy.

With that said, I still do not think that the SEC gets 2 teams in the playoff. That is why this whole committee was made up for in the first place.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
MSU Football Player - Post-Game Interview:
"Well, you know, ain't nobody told us before we come over here that the game would end at 60 minutes exact. We figured it was first one to 30 points, but then that feller in the striped shirt started runnin' off the field sayin' the game was over and all. And don't forget, didn't nobody tell them Texas boys that if their QB got whacked that they had to keep playin' either. Colt went down and Alabammer just kept on a wailin' on 'em anyways. And then there's them po' ol' cajun folks down 'er at LSU. Shoot, ain't nobody even told 'em that a pushin' the other team 'round after the whistle done blowed is a penalty or nothin' - who woulda knowed THAT!?. Dang Alabammer, they is jus' not fair I tell ya!!!! Next thing you know, they'll prolly give 'em 2 points if they wuz to tackle us in the end zone or somethin'. It's prolly the fault of that dadgum REC erbody is talkin' 'bout, they's a sneaky bunch you know. I know one thing - next time Coach M makes us a come over here, I'm a brangin' me a dern tar tool up in under my shoulder pads, for shore."

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
If Miss State doesn't get that last TD with 15 seconds left on 4th down and the final score is 25-13. Are we even having this discussion????

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The reality - they got the ball down by 12 with 6:12 to go in the game. They had 2 full possessions and only scored once - with 15 seconds remaining in the game. Why? Because in their first possession down by 12 Prescott got picked off for the third time in the game.

JMO, but if MSU got the ball again with time to score, they wouldn't have scored. Alabama's defense was absolutely dominant in the red zone on Saturday night until it didn't matter anymore.

Ran out of time? That is the kind of thinking that gets you beat again if you get lucky enough to face Alabama in the playoff. Because if those two teams play at that level 10 times, Alabama wins all 10.

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
The reality - they got the ball down by 12 with 6:12 to go in the game. They had 2 full possessions and only scored once - with 15 seconds remaining in the game. Why? Because in their first possession down by 12 Prescott got picked off for the third time in the game.

JMO, but if MSU got the ball again with time to score, they wouldn't have scored. Alabama's defense was absolutely dominant in the red zone on Saturday night until it didn't matter anymore.

Ran out of time? That is the kind of thinking that gets you beat again if you get lucky enough to face Alabama in the playoff. Because if those two teams play at that level 10 times, Alabama wins all 10.
You are the most Likeable Ohio State fan ever.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.