Shutting Down Williams and Coates

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
THere was lot of things that went wrong last year. We should've ran when we passed, passed when we ran... I think Kenyan didn't do what he was asked to do last year.. or something... I don't know. I think Saban recognizes what happend last year and remember we started having issues with players on the team last year... THis year I think the team will be fine.
And Kenyan Drake didn't play in the 2nd half after running the ball good on them in the 1st half. I still have never heard why he didn't see the field after halftime last year??:confused:

Born2Roll

3rd Team
Oct 8, 2004
Tallahassee, FL
The back-shoulder throws are what we have struggled the most with against bigger receivers like Duke Williams. Marshall isn't much of a threat to throw those accurately. Our safeties are pretty physical as well, which helps. Coates down the field concerns me the most. We need Cyrus to have a great game. He was in the watch pocket of Wilson for most of the Miss St. game. We need that type of performance again.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I have a feeling we'll going to have very physical game. I don't think Auburn does well against team who is very physical. Shon COleman is the weakest link on Offense. Coates/William won't matter much if we can make Nick have issues...
The back-shoulder throws are what we have struggled the most with against bigger receivers like Duke Williams. Marshall isn't much of a threat to throw those accurately. Our safeties are pretty physical as well, which helps. Coates down the field concerns me the most. We need Cyrus to have a great game. He was in the watch pocket of Wilson for most of the Miss St. game. We need that type of performance again.

bamaslaw

All-SEC
Jan 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Big difference between last year and this one... Tre Mason was more of a force than many thought rather than just a product of the Gus Bus. He matched up very well against the big guys on the D-line. Plus their O-line doesn't seem to have it this year either.
Our DL is significantly better than last year.
This really is it, right here. Mason was a big part, but so was an experienced O-line that had a top pick in the NFL draft. We had some trouble all year getting consistent pressure last year - we don't have nearly that same problem this year. If we can hold the line after the snap, we'll be just fine, and I am confident we will.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
this is is what I'm thinking too. A sprained mcl is tough to come back in 3 weeks, especially for a skill position player. If he does come back, I don't think he will be effective. Just my opinion though.
RL was just quoted on al.com saying he was pretty sure he'd be playing.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
RL was just quoted on al.com saying he was pretty sure he'd be playing.
I just never pay any attention to players' opinions, since they tend to be wildly optimistic, which is natural. Despite what's been said above, a receiver's route running does require planting and cutting sharply. In fact, that ability is what differentiates Cooper from nearly any other receiver in the league. It all depends on what the grade of the sprain is - how much tissue has been lost. They have an extremely poor blood supply. Fortunately, unlike the ACL, they are way "over-designed," in the sense that you can lose a fair amount of tissue and still have stability. I'd think he just had stretching or a mild tear, if they think he might play...

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
It's all about the line of scrimmage, just like every game ever played in college football. That's where games are typically won and lost. Stop the run on defense and run the ball effectively on offense.

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
every time we run the zone read defense it seems cyrus jones is beaten, he never looks back for the ball he just starts up the field as fast as he can, and watches the receivers eyes or arms and runs into him. I think he is much better at the man to man with help from safeties.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Big difference between last year and this one... Tre Mason was more of a force than many thought rather than just a product of the Gus Bus. He matched up very well against the big guys on the D-line. Plus their O-line doesn't seem to have it this year either. Their defense this season is about as bad as last year's though.
To me, their defense this year isn't in the same stratosphere as last year. Their defense is pretty darn awful.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I just never pay any attention to players' opinions, since they tend to be wildly optimistic, which is natural. Despite what's been said above, a receiver's route running does require planting and cutting sharply. In fact, that ability is what differentiates Cooper from nearly any other receiver in the league. It all depends on what the grade of the sprain is - how much tissue has been lost. They have an extremely poor blood supply. Fortunately, unlike the ACL, they are way "over-designed," in the sense that you can lose a fair amount of tissue and still have stability. I'd think he just had stretching or a mild tear, if they think he might play...
RL is Rhett Lashlee- he's the "OC", not a player....

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
I wonder how that correlates against Baylor or Oregon.
I wouldn't really worry about Baylor, as I think we can pressure their QB.

Oregon would be another matter, but I think we can score 40+ on them. Oregon's D is not impressive (a moderately respectable 42nd in scoring D, an abysmal 91st in scoring D). Baylor? More impressive on defense.

That said, they've both played significantly easier schedules than us (Oregon 36th, Baylor 59th to our 5th SOS according to Sagarin). I would think that our numbers would be even better, especially on offense, if we played against similar competition. We'd probably be averaging over 40 points per game as well.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.