Shutting Down Williams and Coates

tidefan82

1st Team
Aug 16, 2000
Opp,Alabama,U.S.
Jame Duke at the line to stop that quick slant. Force the run to the middle so Marshall can't scramble and throw long to Coates. Get a lot of first downs and keep Auburn offense off the field. No turnovers.

B

BroadwayJoe777

Mississippi State had no problem with them and their secondary is their weak link. Why should we?

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
IMO our corners are the weak link in our defense. I hope I am wrong, but our corners could get us beat.
Despite being a weak link our secondary is one of the best in the country. Go figure. I've never understood why our fans or opposing fans rag on the dbs.

The system opens itself up for issues at cb to deep routes due to the man coverage. There are few CBS in college football anywhere that can cover man to man all day against the teams best wrs.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Against Auburn priority #1 is defending the run. IMO NM cannot beat us with his arm if we play sound, assignment football on defense.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I think what lot is forgetting is that.. both team has new personnel from last year... We now have Reed, Williams, Evans, Ragland, Ivory, etc... Reed will be huge up front... I think we'll be able to shut down their running games and focusing them to throw a lot...

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
I think what lot is forgetting is that.. both team has new personnel from last year... We now have Reed, Williams, Evans, Ragland, Ivory, etc... Reed will be huge up front... I think we'll be able to shut down their running games and focusing them to throw a lot...
Yes, our front 7 are much better than last year. Reed is a beast and loves to tackle RBs, while being blocked by an OL.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
2 DL who we recruited solely to stop quick teams were Dalvin Tomlinson and DJ Pettway. Dalvin was hurt and DJ was kicked off last year. We not only have them back, but Reed, JA, and A Shawn have stepped up their run stop play.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Against Auburn priority #1 is defending the run. IMO NM cannot beat us with his arm if we play sound, assignment football on defense.
A couple of blown assignments is what got us last year. We seem to play a little more disciplined this year along the front line.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
You have to stop the run to beat Auburn, so you can't afford to give the CBs tons of help from the safeties. The corners will not always win in single coverage but they've got to make the catches as high difficulty as possible and not concede the easy stuff.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Will Auburn really try to beat us by throwing the ball? NM has gotten better, but he's not very accurate still.
NM hasn't gotten any better he is still overthrowing his WR's a lot. As for running defenses have keyed in on him a lot more. He has gotten most of his rushing yards on scrambling than on designed runs.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.