Shutting Down Williams and Coates

Snake 4 Bama

Scout Team
Jan 1, 2013
I'm curious. How does Bama spy Marshall with receivers Williams and Coates in the game together?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
You play your standard defense with two safeties helping over the top. Your LBs are going to have to have a good game, but the real key to stopping Auburn's offense is pressure up the middle, and Alabama has been awesome at creating pressure up the middle this season.

Alabama's D-line will decide this game.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
You play your standard defense with two safeties helping over the top. Your LBs are going to have to have a good game, but the real key to stopping Auburn's offense is pressure up the middle, and Alabama has been awesome at creating pressure up the middle this season.

Based on a recent talk with an AU friend, it's not clear if Williams will even play on that bad knee.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA

Big difference between last year and this one... Tre Mason was more of a force than many thought rather than just a product of the Gus Bus. He matched up very well against the big guys on the D-line. Plus their O-line doesn't seem to have it this year either. Their defense this season is about as bad as last year's though.

Big difference between last year and this one... Tre Mason was more of a force than many thought rather than just a product of the Gus Bus. He matched up very well against the big guys on the D-line. Plus their O-line doesn't seem to have it this year either. Their defense this season is about as bad as last year's though.
Probably worse! If the cornerbacks continue on this trend they are on now, they will be fine. They've been getting better and seems like they are comfortable with each other now. With Nick Perry being a force they are going to find passing the ball very difficult. And there is a little thing that is called revenge that's on Bama's mind this season.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
You know, I think you are exactly right. 90 and 86 need to have big games, but the whole of the defensive line has to be better than the boogers oline.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
Using the defense against Miss State as the basic defense would be a good start against Marshall who is not having as good a season as last year probably because the O line is weaker. Tide front four are significantly better than last year and their push will certainly help the LBs. I also expect kick coverage to be greatly improved from last year.

bradley30

1st Team
Sep 9, 2009
Oxford, AL
Based on a recent talk with an AU friend, it's not clear if Williams will even play on that bad knee.
this is is what I'm thinking too. A sprained mcl is tough to come back in 3 weeks, especially for a skill position player. If he does come back, I don't think he will be effective. Just my opinion though.

BamaBeta

All-SEC
Sep 18, 2008
Atlanta
Our DL is significantly better than last year.
You are exactly right. Play the defensive line aggressive but not over pursuing. Make Marshall have to throw and the offense will be less effective. Their defense might not be able to stop much as it is.

You are exactly right. Play the defensive line aggressive but not over pursuing. Make Marshall have to throw and the offense will be less effective. Their defense might not be able to stop much as it is.
They won't be able to stop us at all.

Suppose to be cold that night though. I still think everyone will be on top of their game and Bama will roll!

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Williams is out for the year, I think, with an ACL so we shouldn't have to worry about him. And then just what everybody else has said..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Williams is out for the year, I think, with an ACL so we shouldn't have to worry about him. And then just what everybody else has said..
He practiced for the first time today. I believe his injury is a sprained MCL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
They went on their downward slide when Williams went out. They could just throw it near him and he was going to come down with it. Hate for any player to be injured though.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
He practiced for the first time today. I believe his injury is a sprained MCL.
I heard that, too. A sprained MCL, unless severe, can be easily overcome. The pain can be masked, and knee stability is not as compromised. It would be a greater concern for a RB, but WRs like Williams don't have to rely on hard cuts. He makes most of his plays down the field, and a sprained MCL will not limit his speed.

I expect him to play.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
I heard that, too. A sprained MCL, unless severe, can be easily overcome. The pain can be masked, and knee stability is not as compromised. It would be a greater concern for a RB, but WRs like Williams don't have to rely on hard cuts. He makes most of his plays down the field, and a sprained MCL will not limit his speed.

I expect him to play.
Yeah but he won't be 100% though. Also if the barn doesn't get away with the holds and illegal linemen downfield that will also make a high difference.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Stop the run and force Marshall to pass. Do that and not make too many mistakes and we win. Don't do that and we still might win but it will be a shootout. The AU WR's are very good but their passing attack does not scare me because I do not think they can beat us throwing the ball.

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
well coates is the main guy now. the deal now is that our def line has been able to put a rush on the qb. I really believe without the job our def line is doing the last 3 games our secondary will be taken advantage of. it always seems to be the off and def line that makes the difference in rushing and passing. never changes.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.