Shutting Down Williams and Coates

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
Auburns defense is the same it had last year. I think they have been run down through this gauntlet of a schedule. You better believe they'll be rejuvenated for the iron bowl. If duke can play, it will give them another weapon we'll have to account for whether he's 100% or not. I just hope we play our best game of the season.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Auburns defense is the same it had last year. I think they have been run down through this gauntlet of a schedule. You better believe they'll be rejuvenated for the iron bowl. If duke can play, it will give them another weapon we'll have to account for whether he's 100% or not. I just hope we play our best game of the season.
Their defense is so horrible it won't matter how rejuvenated they'll be. As far as Duke goes I don't think he has even practiced yet since his knee injury. Even so him worrying about re-injuring his knee again would probably effect the way he plays assuming he even returns for the iron bowl.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I think we will win the game but Coates could still have a field day against us. State's big, physical wideouts gave us trouble and I expect the barn's could too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I heard that, too. A sprained MCL, unless severe, can be easily overcome. The pain can be masked, and knee stability is not as compromised. It would be a greater concern for a RB, but WRs like Williams don't have to rely on hard cuts. He makes most of his plays down the field, and a sprained MCL will not limit his speed.

I expect him to play.
I've gotten the impression that it was more than just a mild sprain. I'm in mild disagreement about it's not affecting his play downfield. We'll just have to see...

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
You play your standard defense with two safeties helping over the top. Your LBs are going to have to have a good game, but the real key to stopping Auburn's offense is pressure up the middle, and Alabama has been awesome at creating pressure up the middle this season.

Alabama's D-line will decide this game.
I agree. Scoring won't be the issue. Stopping them score will be the challenge.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I agree. Scoring won't be the issue. Stopping them score will be the challenge.
I disagree. Scoring for us is almost always the issue in big games. See Ole Miss, LSU, and MSU. Offense was pretty shaky in all 3 of those games. Our defense will almost always play well enough to win..

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
I disagree. Scoring for us is almost always the issue in big games. See Ole Miss, LSU, and MSU. Offense was pretty shaky in all 3 of those games. Our defense will almost always play well enough to win..
Well to be fair. Those three teams are #1, #5, and #11 in scoring defense this year.

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
Yep. And that's my point. We should have no trouble hanging 35+ points on AU but I doubt we do. We should have scored much more on them last year also..
*raises finger to say something.....stops*

Well you got me there (until I can think of something else). Auburn does seem to bring its best defensive game against bama.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Well you got me there (until I can think of something else). Auburn does seem to bring its best defensive game against bama.
I still think we will win. Just saying that to me, I'm almost always more concerned about our offense than our defense. That's all..

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
If you look at the time they have the ball on offense during the game and compare to Bama... Offense would have hard time getting on the field, if we constantly drive down the field half of the time..

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama

I don't even think it is really their defense....our play calling is a head scratcher in those games like A&M 2012 and Auburn 2013.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
They didn't have their best defense last year.. last year game was more on us... we didn't finish some plays... and we questioned some of Nuss playcalling....

bradley30

1st Team
Sep 9, 2009
Oxford, AL
They didn't have their best defense last year.. last year game was more on us... we didn't finish some plays... and we questioned some of Nuss playcalling....
And Kenyan Drake didn't play in the 2nd half after running the ball good on them in the 1st half. I still have never heard why he didn't see the field after halftime last year??:confused:

Bama1985

1st Team
Jan 18, 2006
Calhoun County
Agree--the key to stopping teams like Oregon and Auburn is to get strong defensive line penetration and disrupt them in the backfield.
(Ironically--that was how Auburn was effective against Oregon in the 2010 National Title game--it was a low scoring game)
Another key defensively is to play Zone or some combination Man to Man and Zone--this will assist in stopping the QB from running wild.
If Bama does these things it will limit Auburn offensively. Hopefully Bama can force some interceptions as Auburn gets frustrated trying to run and then it will have to rely on its passing game.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Agree--the key to stopping teams like Oregon and Auburn is to get strong defensive line penetration and disrupt them in the backfield.
(Ironically--that was how Auburn was effective against Oregon in the 2010 National Title game--it was a low scoring game)
Another key defensively is to play Zone or some combination Man to Man and Zone--this will assist in stopping the QB from running wild.
If Bama does these things it will limit Auburn offensively. Hopefully Bama can force some interceptions as Auburn gets frustrated trying to run and then it will have to rely on its passing game.
Yes, and a lot of their fans are very unhappy with NM as a passing QB. I think we intend to make them pass...

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
I think the situation whether we win or not is not what Auburn does to us but what we do to ourselves. If we do not have a bunch of turnovers and costly penalties I see us blowing them out. Otherwise, I see another nail bitter going to the very end with the outcome still undecided. We need to start fast and end this thing early. I believe Auburn will quit if jumped on big early and often. If this game is close in the 4th quarter I don't think my heart can take it!! ;)

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL
I just don't think this one is going to be close. ESPN replayed that FG return 10,000 times. What do you think Coach Cochran is doing this week?

i just wish it was earlier, the night games run closer than I like, but this one is way different.

think about how bad you want this win, Blake Sims & the other seniors want it 10 x's more.

not mentioned yet but if Reggie Ragland has the kind of game I think he will, the Barn will give up before the half.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.