Blog: The Latest Bama News 11/21/14

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Shakopee Minnesota, via Birmingham Alabama
Re: Lates tBama News 11/21/14

5 interesting things that Nick Saban said this week-sds

It’s homecoming week on the University of Alabama campus as the Crimson Tide prepares to face its first non-Southeastern Conference opponent since defeating Southern Miss 52-12 on Sept. 13.

Here are five interesting things that Nick Saban said prior to Saturday’s game against Western Carolina (4 p.m. ET, SEC Network).
1. On recruiting Amari Copper: “The thing that was so impressive about Amari Cooper was that he came to our summer camp before his senior year and the guy was … I think maybe, and we’ve had some good receivers that have been through our camps all these years, he may have been the most impressive to me in terms of his ability, his ability to change direction and get out of a break, the quickness, acceleration, the speed, good hands, hard worker. I walked away from that camp saying ‘You know this guy may be the best receiver we’ve ever had in our camps,’ and we’ve had some really good ones. So that’s what I remember the most, and I remember his high school film and he was a very productive player and all that stuff, but we what he did here at camp is what I remember the most because that’s the thing that was most impressive to me.”
2. After getting a question about the seniors playing their final games: “I would disagree that the season’s winding down, it’s kind of winding up in terms of where we’re going, and I don’t mean that in a bad way, but in terms of what we have in front of us and all that type of thing.”
3. Blake Sims working with a private coach: “I know that a lot of these quarterbacks go to camps and there are quarterback coaches and all that kind of stuff, we have no problem with it all. We’re trying to do everything that we can do to help our players become the best players that they can be. Now we can’t orchestrate those types of things unless it’s with our coaches, and it’s certainly just up to the player, but I don’t know where, I can’t say what caused or what created the improvement in Blake. I think he created it with his work ethic, with how important it was to him to be a good player, how badly he wanted to be a good player, and he did everything that he could possibly do to improve as a player whether it was here or it was when he was aware from here. And I think that’s served him very well in terms of how he’s played, and hopefully he’ll be able to stay focused on the right things, continue to improve and a strong finish to the season.”
4. During his weekly radio show Saban said he didn’t realize he had four former head coaches on his staff: “You media guys always try to throw me a curveball.” (Note: Here’s our curveball from July, Reclaiming the crown: Coaching staff nothing short of historic) He closed the show by saying what motivates him. “I want to see if we can do it. I want to see if this team can do it.”
5. On sophomore defensive end Jonathan Allen: “He played a lot last year as a freshman and he’s really a starter in nickel, and we really play more nickel than we’ve played anything else just about. And he’s been very productive, very instinctive, really good person, really bright guy. Has a lot of pride in how he goes about whatever he does personally, academically or athletically. When you have good players who has the kind of character that he has that’s what makes it really fun to coach. I would give him an ‘A’ in all areas, personal, academic and athletic.”

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Shakopee Minnesota, via Birmingham Alabama
Re: Lates tBama News 11/21/14

Cooper or Norwood? Which Crimson Tide receiver is better in the clutch?-sds

University of Alabama coach Nick Saban has no trouble remembering recruiting wide receiver Amari Cooper, especially since it was just three years ago.

The prospect out of Miami Northwestern was already a highly regarded recruit, but it was after watching him at one of Alabama’s camps that Nick Saban knew that he could be something special.
“I walked away from that camp saying ‘You know this guy may be the best receiver we’ve ever had in our camps,’ and we’ve had some really good ones,” Saban said.
“You could already the type of player he was capable of becoming,” junior cornerback Cyrus Jones said. “It’s not a surprise he’s doing the things he’s doing now.”
Last year Alabama also had Kevin Norwood who became known as “Mr. Clutch.” Time after time when quarterback AJ McCarron needed a big play he looked to his friend who was a fourth-round pick by Seattle in May’s NFL Draft.
In terms of overall numbers there’s no comparison between the two. For his collegiate career, Norwood had 81 receptions for 1,275 yards and 12 touchdowns.
Meanwhile, through 10 games this season Cooper has 87 catches for 1,303 yards and 11 touchdowns while becoming the clear favorite to win the Biletnikoff Award as college football’s best receiver.
If you could only have one of the two wide receivers on the field for a decisive play, who would it be?
Statistically, the answer may depend on where the ball is spotted. Here are the unofficial numbers for the last two seasons for third-down targets, and red-zone (inside the 20) targets. Of note, though, Cooper head to deal with a number of injuries in 2013.
Third-down targets, 2013
Player, Receptions-Targeted, Yards TDs
Christion Jones 11-15, 140 yards, 1 TD
Kevin Norwood 10-12, 138, 1 TD
Amari Cooper 7-9, 109
Third-down targets, 2014
Amari Cooper 24-33, 259 yards, 2 TDs
DeAndrew White 7-13, 107, 1 TD
T.J. Yeldon 6-9, 67, 1 TD
Despite the 4-yard touchdown pass against Mississippi State last week the one area of the field that Blake Sims has had trouble connecting with Cooper has been in the red zone.
Sims completed all five of his passes inside the MSU 20, for 22 yards and one touchdown. For the season he’s now 25-for-42 for 160 yards and nine touchdowns and no interceptions.
Red-zone targets, 2013
Jalston Fowler 5-6, 16 yards, 5 TD
Christion Jones 3-3, 29, 1 TD
Kevin Norwood 3-4, 42, 2 TD
Red-zone targets, 2014
Amari Cooper 8-18, 38 yards, 3 TD
DeAndrew White 3-4, 26 yards, 2 TD
T.J. Yeldon 3-3, 24

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.