Dan Mullen Pulls Recruit's Scholarship Offer 16 Days Before His Graduation

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
You can be asked to grey shirt for an entire season, and this is most often the case. This article reads differently - as though he has only been asked to grey shirt for the spring semester. I know that you know this because you actively follow recruiting, but for those that do not:

Early enrollments were started for a few reasons:
* To allow players an extra semester of practice with a team, since their spring semester of their 5th year comes after the football season in their 5th year has been played and is essentially wasted for football purposes.
* To allow coaches to sign more than 25 players in a given class, since the rule actuaspecifiesfies the signing window, which begins on national signing day. Sign before that date and your scholly doesn't automatically count against the 25 limit. Strange but true.
* To allow more flexibility in managing the 25 scholarship/year limit, since a scholly signed for the spring semester caappliedplied to the previous class or the upcoming class. Same point as above, but a different aspect.
* To allow more flexibility in managing the 85 scholarship limit, since players who graduate early and/or move on to the NFL after a season can free up their scholly for another player in the spring.

So it is entirely possible that they just don't have a backwards applicable scholarship to award him, so he has to wait until summer. They have a lot of seniors, but not many who will go to the NFL or graduate early.
If you enroll in January, I thought you could count either 1/2 year ahead or 1/2 year behind. If someone joins this January, I thought they could be part of either the Class of 2014 or the Class of 2015.

Also, they would have had to know back in August whether they had space for the kid. So if they didn't tell him sooner, either someone's an idiot for not notifying him, or someone else is joining in January whom they didn't expect.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
That would make no sense because he would still count against the 25 for this year, and so MSU loses nothing by having him show up in January. The only way they have any kind of is if he "greyshirts" until next January so he counts against the 2016 cap..
EEs can count against the previous year's cap if the school had room left or lost a recruit at the last minute and didn't fill the spot.

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
EEs can count against the previous year's cap if the school had room left or lost a recruit at the last minute and didn't fill the spot.
I know they can count that way, but I thought they also could count for the next year's cap. So there's no advantage to telling him to show up that summer vs in January.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I know they can count that way, but I thought they also could count for the next year's cap. So there's no advantage to telling him to show up that summer vs in January.
I get what you are saying. It is also possible that he doesn't have room in the 85 cap until summer.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Here's the 247 story.

"They (Mississippi State) called my coach today and (are) wanting me to grayshirt," Virgil said.

"Grayshirt" in the college football recruiting vernacular means colleges are asking you to delay your enrollment an extra semester, from the fall semester to the spring semester.

But for Virgil, who graduates from high school early and was expected to enroll at Mississippi State in January of 2015, it means they now want him to wait an entire year, until January of 2016.

Virgil said he had cleared his early enrollment with Mississippi State staff, so the news came as a shock.

"I have to start over now," he said. "I haven't talked to any other schools in awhile so I just have to see what happens."

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Who knows what the real story is. It is really convenient for the recruit to be able to publically say things and a coach not be permitted to publically speak about specific recruits.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
The SB nation article mentions his coach thinks he should be recruited by aTm. With Kyler Murray coming in, and this coach knows exactly who Murray is, that would make no sense.

Still, the kid is getting a raw deal.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The SB nation article mentions his coach thinks he should be recruited by aTm. With Kyler Murray coming in, and this coach knows exactly who Murray is, that would make no sense.

Still, the kid is getting a raw deal.
I believe that was the writer's opinion, not his coach's.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
You're right. I had to re-read it.

OK, the writer is a boob, not the coach. Makes no sense the coach would say anything that dumb. (Note to self: don't post when you are not fully awake.)

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
Also, to be fair, I remember some glowing articles in the AJC about Justin Taylor and others accusing Alabama of pulling a scholarship guarantee at the last second just to be hateful. So there are lots of possible explanations for this, ranging from "He was flat-out told that it was a grayshirt offer" to "Someone else said they wanted to sign on yesterday and they were higher on our board"

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
It's hard for me to get very upset by greyshirting. Usually, the media makes it sound far worse than it actually is, if "worse" is actually a way to describe it. For instance, Saban got beat up over trying to greyshirt a guy who redshirted anyway, so either way he wasn't going to play, and in that instance, the signing class misses spring anyway, so he could have been an EE and missed very little.

In this instance, the hang-up appears to be the EE part, but the villain might still be misplaced. That stupid (SEC only) signing limit severely limits the players that can be signed and when. If the math doesn't work, the math doesn't work. Mullen at that point had to pull someone's offer. You never know who is going to accept an offer unfortunately, and the signing limit really takes away some options that are already hamstrung by the NCAA.

That isn't to say Mullen didn't screw up...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
It's hard for me to get very upset by greyshirting. Usually, the media makes it sound far worse than it actually is, if "worse" is actually a way to describe it. For instance, Saban got beat up over trying to greyshirt a guy who redshirted anyway, so either way he wasn't going to play, and in that instance, the signing class misses spring anyway, so he could have been an EE and missed very little.

In this instance, the hang-up appears to be the EE part, but the villain might still be misplaced. That stupid (SEC only) signing limit severely limits the players that can be signed and when. If the math doesn't work, the math doesn't work. Mullen at that point had to pull someone's offer. You never know who is going to accept an offer unfortunately, and the signing limit really takes away some options that are already hamstrung by the NCAA.

That isn't to say Mullen didn't screw up...
A few things:

1. State had to approve his early-enrolling. If there was any problem there, they could have said "hold up."
2. Prior to this, State had 31 commits. Dan Mullen accepted 31 commitments with NSD 3 months away. He can control who commits to MSU. Saban gives some players the green light while others have to wait. Mullen can do the same.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.