Dan Mullen Pulls Recruit's Scholarship Offer 16 Days Before His Graduation

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
2. Prior to this, State had 31 commits. Dan Mullen accepted 31 commitments with NSD 3 months away. He can control who commits to MSU. Saban gives some players the green light while others have to wait. Mullen can do the same.
Clearly, Miss. State is dealing with what Alabama has to deal with every year, just not as well. Remember though, recruiting is kind of tossing a line in the water and hoping a fish bites. If you have say 50 lines in the water, but your limit is 25, well you can have a problem. However, if you don't put 50 lines in the water, you might end up only catching 20 fish. I suppose the main problem here is new levels of enthusiasm for Miss. State.

This is a one way thing. A kid can do what they want, the program can't. Yes, they can "pull an offer", but they are going to get demolished in the media (like we are seeing now). Now, as you stated, you can have this semi-offer situation, in which the kid can or can't commit, but you also have any number of unconditional offers out there. It's very, very complicated and made more so by the silly rules. For instance, in this scenario a lot of it comes down to what class he could have counted for, and it would seem the issue is they were not going to be able to back-count him, and if so that's all SEC signing limit nonsense and nothing else.

I'm not going to defend everything a coach does, but the rules are almost entirely slanted against the coach. For instance, the financial aid agreements. The player can sign all of those he wants! That's ridiculous, but a kid can go around signing them left or right, while the school has to honor them. Until they put rules in place which hold both the player and the team to an equal level of responsibility, I won't tend to get up in arms about this sort of stuff. The one situation that did really sound messed up, was when a kid showed up to LSU to enroll and was told his scholarship had been pulled. Now that was messed up on the part of Les...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Clearly, Miss. State is dealing with what Alabama has to deal with every year, just not as well. Remember though, recruiting is kind of tossing a line in the water and hoping a fish bites. If you have say 50 lines in the water, but your limit is 25, well you can have a problem. However, if you don't put 50 lines in the water, you might end up only catching 20 fish. I suppose the main problem here is new levels of enthusiasm for Miss. State.

This is a one way thing. A kid can do what they want, the program can't. Yes, they can "pull an offer", but they are going to get demolished in the media (like we are seeing now). Now, as you stated, you can have this semi-offer situation, in which the kid can or can't commit, but you also have any number of unconditional offers out there. It's very, very complicated and made more so by the silly rules. For instance, in this scenario a lot of it comes down to what class he could have counted for, and it would seem the issue is they were not going to be able to back-count him, and if so that's all SEC signing limit nonsense and nothing else.
That's the thing, though. State should know the situation when it approved his early enrollment. With two weeks before he graduates, they want to ask him to grayshirt? They're not even asking him to wait until NSD and enroll in June. They want him to grayshirt and wait an entire year.

I'm not going to defend everything a coach does, but the rules are almost entirely slanted against the coach. For instance, the financial aid agreements. The player can sign all of those he wants! That's ridiculous, but a kid can go around signing them left or right, while the school has to honor them. Until they put rules in place which hold both the player and the team to an equal level of responsibility, I won't tend to get up in arms about this sort of stuff.
The NCAA did change the rule this year. A player can only sign one financial aid agreement. The player is still free to do whatever he wants, though. The NCAA needs to create some repercussions for players that don't follow through with the financial aid agreement.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
They're not even asking him to wait until NSD and enroll in June. They want him to grayshirt and wait an entire year.
The article I read gave me the impression that the reporter was saying that, and reporters tend to misrepresent greyshirting. Having said that, if Mullen did indeed want him to wait a full year to enroll (I take your word for it), after approving him as an EE, that is pretty bad. I wasn't trying to defend Mullen so much state my dissatisfaction with the way the process works (in particular the SEC signing limit). I know that Saban caught some heat for a couple of greyshirt situations, but in both cases it was the SEC signing limit that placed an arbitrary limitation on what he could do.

The NCAA did change the rule this year. A player can only sign one financial aid agreement. The player is still free to do whatever he wants, though. The NCAA needs to create some repercussions for players that don't follow through with the financial aid agreement.
After I made my post, I started thinking that you know far more about recruiting than I do. I do defer to your knowledge and I wasn't trying to argue with you regardless, just ranting a bit. I'm glad they fixed that one thing, but until we reach the point that a player's commitment is held in the same regard as a scholarship offer, and until we reach the point that a commitment to play four years is as important as honoring a scholarship for four years, I don't think we'll have a process that is fair, or even represented in a fair manner by the media.

Last edited:

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
A few things:

1. State had to approve his early-enrolling. If there was any problem there, they could have said "hold up."
2. Prior to this, State had 31 commits. Dan Mullen accepted 31 commitments with NSD 3 months away. He can control who commits to MSU. Saban gives some players the green light while others have to wait. Mullen can do the same.
I wondered how he would fit 31 into his class. He must have expected some attrition that did not happen and now he's back peddling to make the numbers work.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
A few things some of you are missing on the grey-shirting process (or that some of you aren't clear on). EE or not, if he was asked to grey shirt, he wouldn't be on campus until Jan 2016. The spring semester, albeit one in college, counts basically like dual enrollment would. That's why a players eligibility clock doesn't start until the Fall even if he is an EE. So asking him to do that would have meant an entire year off, before being able to go on scholarship. That also means that he would have to either pay for TWO full semesters of college if he wanted to be in school early, like he had originally planed, or just sit around home until the fall semester and start paying then.

Any way you slice it, it's bad on MSU and Mullen.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Could a current MSU player the staff thought was leaving early have told the staff he was coming back had an effect? That scholarship would havr been available in the spring, correct?

Here's my theory: Dak Prescott was planning on leaving early until last Saturday and after his poor performance he decided to come back and told the staff which led to this kid not being able to use that scholly. In the end its Nick Saban's fault.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
there are a lot of big name schools on his offer list for a three star recruit.

It looks like this may cost MSU at least one more recruit as a 2017(a HS sophomore committing is crazy) recruit has decommitted. More may follow.

Crimson Speed

All-American
Oct 2, 2005
The Shoals, North West Alabama
This is a reminder that recruiting is a balancing act for college coaching staffs. I'm confident there are circumstances behind the scenes that are unknown at this point. However, this should be a reminder to all prospects to keep their options open for other opportunities just in case something like this happens. If he has the potential to become an elite QB, he will get other offers. I'm not defending Mullins at all. Seems this could have been handled in a more professional manner.

Last edited:

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
He didn't let getting the short end of the stick affect his last HS game. He went out, in a blaze of glory, accounting for 446 of his team's 480 yards, in a 50-44 losing effort.

He went 27 of 55, for 404 yards, and 6 TDs, passing. Add to that 42 yards rushing.

He did throw one INT, in his own end of the field, that led to a TD by the other team. Glad he won't be our problem, in 3 years.

Box score, in case anyone is curious:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/hi...s/boxscores/?ID=7507&Sport=1&refresh=disabled

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.