Upset Chances Remaining for the Top 7? Whatcha Think?

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
With 2 Weeks to go in the regular season and then the Conference Championship Games, Which Top 7 Team Do you See As Most Likely to Trip Before the Finish Line?

Here are the remaining schedules:

1. Alabama (WCU- ha ha, Auburn, --Georgia/Missouri--)
2. Oregon (Colorado, Oregon St. --UCLA/USC winner likely but UCLA still has Stanford-- )
3. Florida St. (Boston College, Florida, --Georgia Tech--)
4. Mississippi St. (Vanderbilt, @Ole Miss, --SECCG--)
5. TCU (@Texas, Iowa St.)
6. Ohio St. (Indiana, Michigan, --Wisconsin or Minnesota--)
7. Baylor (Okie St, Texas Tech, Kansas St.)

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
3-7 has very good chances of being upset. I think 1, 3, 4, 5,6,7 is on upset alert the next two weeks...
With 2 Weeks to go in the regular season and then the Conference Championship Games, Which Top 7 Team Do you See As Most Likely to Trip Before the Finish Line?

2. Oregon (Colorado, )
3. Florida St. (Boston College, Florida, --Georgia Tech- likely--)

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA

2. Oregon (Colorado, )
3. Florida St. (Boston College, Florida, --Georgia Tech- likely--)
My 2 cents...

1. Always a possibility when Auburn is not dreadful. We will not have a problem with WC and should not have a problem with either UGA or Mizzoo... that being said, if we make it that far, I hope we play Mizzoo.
2. No way. The Buffs couldn't beat anybody over .500 right now or the past 6-7 years.
3. Still very possible for them to lose to any of these teams but since I hate them and want them to lose, not very likely.
4. The MissSt/OleMiss game is a tossup in my view.
5. TCU *could* lose to Texas or even Iowa St but probably not.
6. Sorry B1GTide, they've gotten much better since the start of '14, but after the VT loss at the 'shoe, Ohio State could lose to anyone. I think they have to prove everyone wrong which they are very capable of.
7. Baylor has the tougest test. I believe if they win out, they jump TCU for whatever that might be worth.

KillVols

1st Team
Oct 23, 2004
My 2 cents...

1. Always a possibility when Auburn is not dreadful. We will not have a problem with WC and should not have a problem with either UGA or Mizzoo... that being said, if we make it that far, I hope we play Mizzoo.
2. No way. The Buffs couldn't beat anybody over .500 right now or the past 6-7 years.
3. Still very possible for them to lose to any of these teams but since I hate them and want them to lose, not very likely.
4. The MissSt/OleMiss game is a tossup in my view.
5. TCU *could* lose to Texas or even Iowa St but probably not.
6. Sorry B1GTide, they've gotten much better since the start of '14, but after the VT loss at the 'shoe, Ohio State could lose to anyone. I think they have to prove everyone wrong which they are very capable of.
7. Baylor has the tougest test. I believe if they win out, they jump TCU for whatever that might be worth.
Ditto on everything!

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN

2. Oregon (Colorado, Oregon St. --UCLA/USC winner likely but UCLA still has Stanford-- )
Interesting thing to keep in mind... If I'm picking each individual game, I'm probably picking all seven teams to win all of their remaining games. But I can say beyond any reasonable doubt that two of those seven teams will lose before the playoff teams are chosen. Any particular game would be an upset and unexpected to happen. But, this late in the year with fatigue and complacency possibly setting in, it would be an incredibly crazy thing if no upsets among these teams happened. I just can't tell which ones...

Looking back since 2005, every single year, one of the top 4 teams at this point in the season lost in the final three weeks of the year, and at least two of the top 4 teams lost most of the time (7 out of the 9 seasons). In 2007, all of the top 4 teams at this point in the season ended up losing (LSU lost to Arkansas, Kansas lost to Missouri, Oregon actually lost three times, and Oklahoma lost to Texas Tech).

It's very difficult to tell which teams will lose... But since you asked, I'll go:

1. Florida State will lose to Georgia Tech in the ACC Championship.
2. TCU will lose to Texas.
3. Baylor will lose to Kansas State.

Your final 4 will be Alabama, Oregon, Mississippi State, and Ohio State.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
IMHO, there are 2 "X" factors at play here for all 7 teams:

1.How do you respond to having a target on your back.
2.How comfortable are you when the national spotlight is honed in on you?

We know that Alabama and FSU have experienced both and withstood the pressure from both things in the recent past and this year as well. The other 5 teams have either failed in this situation in the past or have never experienced it. Wouldn't surprise me if 3 or more of them lost a game.

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
#2 and #6 win out, no doubt. Say what you will, Oregon is pretty good and OSU is playing better than they get credit for on this board.
#4 wins their two, but doesn't get to the SECCG.
#5 and #7 should win out, but are vulnerable if they play a half-step slow on the wrong Saturday.
#3 is most vulnerable of the bunch, but has better than a 50% chance.

#1 has the potential for two bruising games or two blowouts. I would be surprised at neither.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
I think Bama has the most difficult path to get to the playoffs. However....Ohio State, Baylor, and Mississippi State could also go down.

BamaGreek

All-American
Jan 6, 2007
Brentwood, TN
I think the committee will not put a 2nd team from the SEC in the playoff if there are 1 loss champions from the other conferences. They will weight it towards the conference champion. The last thing they want to see is two teams again from the SEC. Just my opinion.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Interesting thing to keep in mind... If I'm picking each individual game, I'm probably picking all seven teams to win all of their remaining games. But I can say beyond any reasonable doubt that two of those seven teams will lose before the playoff teams are chosen. Any particular game would be an upset and unexpected to happen. But, this late in the year with fatigue and complacency possibly setting in, it would be an incredibly crazy thing if no upsets among these teams happened. I just can't tell which ones...
Absolutely. The only consistency is inconsistency. One of the top 4 won't be there. FSU has been flirting with danger week after week. Oregon has a history of puking on itself in Nov. Bama is coming of its worst season ending since 2008. Miss. St. has not ever been here.

Of the bunch I too say FSU won't make it, Oregon is right behind them with Bama being in an equal spot due to the rival game followed immediately by a quality opp. I'm of the opinion that MSU has a great chance to make it. I do think OSU would jump them if everyone won out but logic says that just won't happen.

No idea what to make of TCU AND Baylor but TCU's game against Texas is their hurdle and K-State is Baylor's. if they get in it will be backdoor all the way.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.