Wow! What a diatribe against the SEC by Gameday!

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Furthermore, just who in the heck can an SEC school schedule on a late November open date anyway? Most FBS conferences have scheduled dates for their teams this late in the season. The only way the SEC can avoid this is by avoiding scheduled dates early in the season. I don't think the SEC wants to do that because the early season matchups when everyone else is playing nobodies is a net positive for the conference's visibility. Furthermore, I can bet you that ESPN wants those TAMU v. SCAR and UGA v. SCAR type games too.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Re: Moving to 9 conference games, drop the cake?

I think the ultimate solution is for the P5 to further separate themselves from everyone else with a scheduling pact. All conferences open their conference schedule early in the season, allow for meaningful OOC into October, but maintain a conference-only drive to the finish in November. I don't think this will happen until the Big-12 goes to a conference championship model and everyone agrees to schedule a standard number of in-conference games.

JQBama42

Scout Team
Sep 24, 2014
Enid, OK
By looking at the other conferences today, the way to go is schedule the best teams in your conference against the weak teams. I just don't think Vanderbilt will go for playing 13 teams in one day.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Also missed the rant, but they are only upset because today's TV schedule stinks. They have nothing to talk about other than Harvard vs Yale, LOL.
I saw it, but agree it was more about how weak the TV schedule is for today.

Gameday normally does a game or two like this one (Havard vs. Yale), but it is normally on a day when there aren't any big games, like today.

BTW, if you watched Game Day, the ESPN and the Harvard coach actually talked about Bama quite often, usually in terms of how Bama is the most recognized football power.

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
Not all schools play FCS, and the Big Ten has a rule , no non-conference games after league play begins. I am in the minority I guess, it hurts league perception when most of the big Schools in conference , play FCS on the same weekend.
ESPN loves SEC games in August, but seems to want it both ways. I suspect there will be scheduling changes in the coming years. Guess we will have to wait to see what comes from the power 5 meetings.
I'm with you in this minority. We have no business playing games like this in November. And with the new playoff format, it's inevitable that's going to change.

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL

And before 50 people say the same thing regarding the difficulty of the conference (which I agree with) the fact is it may become harder to argue that when early season favorites (USCe, LSU) to have at least a decent season perform the way they have so far. Sure, the Mississippies rose to the occasion to fill a void in quality this season, but there's been a big drop off IMO among the conference (thanks Florida.)
I agree, we need to get rid of the creampuffs.

However, even if LSU is having a "down" season, they still beat one of the top teams in the Big 10 to open the season (Wisconsin). As many suspect, a lot of the top teams around the country, would be having "down" years if they had to play in this conference.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
The funny thing is though that western Carolina has a better record than most of the competition that the other top ten teams are playing today.

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
This is also the final home game for many seniors (not in our case this year, but around the conference), some of whom saw very little playing time. I see nothing wrong with letting those guys in particular have a chance to get out there for a few plays at least. Especially when the outcome of the game is in hand.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama

I don't think you have to use your OOC to play USC, FSU, Notre Dame and Ohio State.

I think you ought to play one big game, then a couple of mid-level games and then one game you know you'll win against a FBS team.

For example: Kickoff vs. Wisky/WVU/VT/etc, then a Wazzu/Arky State and then have someone like FAU or SJSU towards the end.

The tricky part is playing Power 5 teams without doing a home and home. If that's all your OOC then you will only get 6-7 home games and that's unlikely.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
How much tougher should Alabama's schedule be?

There are a lot of guys who've worked hard this year that are going to get to play in Bryant-Denny and on TV.

The SEC network is carrying the number one team in the country.

W Carolina is getting a good paycheck. I suspect Bama is too.

Tickets will be available for some of us who don't always get to go to games.

Florida, Ole Miss, Arky, aTm, UT, LSU, and Mississippe State. Our guys deserve a break.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Missed the rant, but if it was about SEC schools scheduling FCS schools, I agree - it shouldn't be allowed. It's ridiculous - simply an invitation to injury.
Everybody agrees its ridiculous. They made it sound like the SEC is the only conference that does it..

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Years ago the weekend before the Iron Bowl was an off weekend for both teams, probably for other big rivals as well (e.g. UF/FSU). What what the media folks say if we went back to having an off week?

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
This is also the final home game for many seniors (not in our case this year, but around the conference), some of whom saw very little playing time. I see nothing wrong with letting those guys in particular have a chance to get out there for a few plays at least. Especially when the outcome of the game is in hand.
I think this is an excellent point. I look forward to seeing some of the guys that have busted their rump for the past 4-5 years but do not get to play much, be able to get some good minutes today.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.