Wow! What a diatribe against the SEC by Gameday!

CLINT

1st Team
Aug 11, 2010
Central Illinois
I just wish we would schedule Power5 cupcakes. Give me home-and-home against Iowa State, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Duke, Virginia, Colorado, Purdue, Rutgers, North Carolina, Northwestern. I have confidence we can beat these teams 95/100 times we play them and then not ANYONE can say anything about our schedule as we would play the same conference teams as everyone else.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The refs horrible blown call really encouraged some of the dirty play in my mind. They made Western Carolina feel like they had a chance that they didn't do anything to earn on the field. This is not typically what you get from a game like this and there's no way Alabama could afford to sit out Yeldon, AG, and White for the type of game that's ordinarily on their schedule.

They played LSU, Miss. State, and have Auburn upcoming, with Georgia most likely if they win that game. There's no logical argument to be made for saying Alabama needs to play a tougher schedule, the only team in the country that played a tougher schedule happens to play Alabama.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
Sagarin has Bama at the #2 toughest schedule, with a 7-1 record against top 30 teams.
If Bama had played the 55th toughest schedule the cupcake argument might hold some water.
Exactly, which is why I will not lose any sleep over playing a cupcake a week before the IB. College Gameday can find a better reason to hate on Bama other than scheduling.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I just wish we would schedule Power5 cupcakes. Give me home-and-home against Iowa State, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Duke, Virginia, Colorado, Purdue, Rutgers, North Carolina, Northwestern. I have confidence we can beat these teams 95/100 times we play them and then not ANYONE can say anything about our schedule as we would play the same conference teams as everyone else.
Oh, please, please, schedule this.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Exactly, which is why I will not lose any sleep over playing a cupcake a week before the IB. College Gameday can find a better reason to hate on Bama other than scheduling.
Yeah, and Bama plummeted all the way down to the 5th toughest schedule in the country once the WCU game was taken into account. This catastrophe will last until, ... Saturday, when Bama will once again have the 2nd most difficult schedule again,* and it will go up from there if they take care of business against Auburn.

Bottom line, I'm not worried about Bama's strength of schedule or about people who criticize Bama for playing a WCU in November. If someone doesn't like games like this, he should avert his eyes.

* Oregon is 36th, FSU is 49th, and Ohio State is 55th, so Herbie's ire is misplaced.

Last edited:

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Alabama will be playing its 9th bowl eligible team in Auburn next week (assuming TN beats either Mizzou or Vandy, which is a safe assumption). How much more should a team have to do?
Nothing more! They deserve a few easy games in my opinion. The starters can work on a few things and maybe pad some stats, and the reserves get a chance to shine and develop in game action. Not to mention, it gives that David and Goliath scenario several times during the year. Back during our Dumbose and Sheila years, we often had to sweat out games against these teams, and we lost a few of them.

BamaBuff24

1st Team
May 2, 2000
FWB, FL USA
I'm still chaffed by that. It's ridiculous, and down right dishonest. They made it sound like the SEC was the only conference to play FCS schools, and all of the major conferences do that. I know their point is that it shouldn't happen this late in the season, but what's the difference between us scheduling this game as a late season warm-up to our rival, as opposed to Oregon opening against South Dakota? I love Herbstriet, but he really ticked me off today saying the SEC should be penalized for these games.
I don't pay attention to these guys. I just think that is smart scheduling. Why would you schedule all your creampuffs at the beginning. I remember this same group a couple of years ago giving the Big Ten a hard time because of the same thing. But it was in the first part of the season, when they scheduled all their creampuffs in August and September.

Jesse Palmer and Brent Musberger was talking about how it was good for West Carolina to pickup a check.
And they were explaining how the money was working for their program. These FCS schools survives off these checks. They is why some of them moved up to the FBS division.

BigGunn

1st Team
Dec 5, 2004
Pace, Florida
This. What I'd like to see is the SEC teams schedule the PAC 12 teams, home this year away next, regardless of stadium size, one each year then round robin until all ours play all theirs. Alabama play one each year until we've played through their conference. I don't believe our coffers would suffer much either. Would make great television. We'd end up playing a tough game one year an easy game the next and so on. And it would bring PAC 12 up some in everybody's eyes. How could Herbie argue with that? I would like to see Stanford come to Tuscaloosa and Georgia go to Cal, etc. How would Wazou look in the swamp and Arky could go run through Husky stadium, the viles at Corvalis. Comments, please.

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL
I don't pay attention to these guys. I just think that is smart scheduling. Why would you schedule all your creampuffs at the beginning. I remember this same group a couple of years ago giving the Big Ten a hard time because of the same thing. But it was in the first part of the season, when they scheduled all their creampuffs in August and September.

Jesse Palmer and Brent Musberger was talking about how it was good for West Carolina to pickup a check.
And they were explaining how the money was working for their program. These FCS schools survives off these checks. They is why some of them moved up to the FBS division.

Ok we need to make ESPN happy, that is why there is no more BCS right? So do this bann all these games, then ESPN needs to supply the MONEY as stated above. It means the difference in some having a program & NOT having one.

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL
This. What I'd like to see is the SEC teams schedule the PAC 12 teams, home this year away next, regardless of stadium size, one each year then round robin until all ours play all theirs. Alabama play one each year until we've played through their conference. I don't believe our coffers would suffer much either. Would make great television. We'd end up playing a tough game one year an easy game the next and so on. And it would bring PAC 12 up some in everybody's eyes. How could Herbie argue with that? I would like to see Stanford come to Tuscaloosa and Georgia go to Cal, etc. How would Wazou look in the swamp and Arky could go run through Husky stadium, the viles at Corvalis. Comments, please.

Great Point, the problem is THEY are scared to do it, Bosie refused to play us for one example. Unless they can STEAL our share of the money they will whine but Not back it up.

GulfCoastTider

Hall of Fame
The invisible elephant in the room is money.

No major school wants to give up a home game. Home games are too important to the home team program, the community and the fans. To even play a home-away rotation with another major school means both team lose a home game every other year. It's simply not in anyone's financial interest, especially this late in the season.

It is however, in the financial interest of schools like WCU, who collect a hefty paycheck that they will use to further develop what appears to be a up-and-coming program. And so, we eschew a late season non-conference matchup. We maximize home game revenues, the opponent is better off financially, and the talking heads can just go pound sand.

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
espn the king of all sports. they want all the cake and want to eat it all. they were smart and invested In the sec network, and have 90 million viewers, and then some of their so called experts attack the popularity of the sec, the workings of the most successful conference. who really cares if they play one set up game before a big end of season rivalry game. they will benefit big time with ratings next week. herbstreit has become a pompous analyst and is their anointed star now. he is a average qb from ohio state, and is missing a lot of predictions now on gameday, and other venues. he is likeable and he is still a baiter.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The city is providing a ton of LE, first-responder, and general support to the school for home games because it is a huge financial gain for Tuscaloosa even with overtime and temp employee expenditures. I know the City of Tuscaloosa wants as many home games as possible. I don't know if they have a ton of leverage in this kind of decision-making but they are a stakeholder who stands to lose out on something.

Of course, I think bringing in a major program that travels like we do every other year (or every year) might bring in more money than the extra FCS/low-level FBS opponent...maybe?

GulfCoastTider

Hall of Fame
Of course, I think bringing in a major program that travels like we do every other year (or every year) might bring in more money than the extra FCS/low-level FBS opponent...maybe?
That might be true if arrangements could be made to split the total revenues between the home and visiting team each year. But there's the added impact on the community that's lost every other year. UA is a good institutional citizen of Tuscaloosa and the entire state. It's just not in their interest to play a major non-conference opponent if that opponent insists on a home-away rotation.

Also, that major non-conference opponent faces the same financial calculus that UA does. Why should they not maximize home game revenues by scheduling cupcakes? Giving up millions (potentially) to assuage the politically correct talking heads is bad economics, bad finance and steps close to a breach of fiduciary trust.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Well, the reality is that the city has some say in this because they could always tell the school to hire their own dang police officers and fire department to manage this gameday.

GulfCoastTider

Hall of Fame
Well, the reality is that the city has some say in this because they could always tell the school to hire their own dang police officers and fire department to manage this gameday.
Yes, and as you correctly noted above, the city provides all of that support because the city leaders understand what an important impact these events have on the economic fabric of their city.

A parallel example exists here in Mobile. Every late winter/early spring, the City of Mobile expends tremendous resources to provide those security and first responder services during the annual Mardi Gras celebration. That runs for weeks, and the total public attendance for the carnival season dwarfs the attendance at any home game played in any SEC venue.

If the City of Mobile told the carnival crewes to go find their own security, first responder and other services, Mardi Gras in Mobile would cease to exist. That impact would be devastating. The expenditures and impacts go up by an order of magnitude in New Orleans.

No one wants to see any of that take place, especially if the only reason to do so is to keep people like Kirk happy. I promise you that Dan Patrick will talk about this tomorrow morning, and if I get through, I'm gonna unload the economic and financial reality on him.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I totally get all that...the last post was just meant to demonstrate that the city has some investment and say in these matters. Unless we can get big OOC matchups to make up for less home games (if that is even possible financially), I think the school and city have an interest in assuring 7 home games.

Edit: It is also fair to note that all major schools are playing this game. I'd like the numbers on the amount of seasons over the last decade each P5 school has played less than 7 home games. Basically, if you're playing 7...you aren't scheduling many h2h.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
BIG TEN SCHEDULE FOR SEPTEMBER 25, 2010
Ohio State vs Eastern Michigan
Michigan State vs Northern Colorado
Wisconsin vs Austin Peay
Michigan vs Bowling Green
Minnesota vs Northern Illinois
Indiana vs Akron

Really playing challenging teams after three warm-up games, eh?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I totally get all that...the last post was just meant to demonstrate that the city has some investment and say in these matters. Unless we can get big OOC matchups to make up for less home games (if that is even possible financially), I think the school and city have an interest in assuring 7 home games.

Edit: It is also fair to note that all major schools are playing this game. I'd like the numbers on the amount of seasons over the last decade each P5 school has played less than 7 home games. Basically, if you're playing 7...you aren't scheduling many h2h.
They totally ignore the four cupcakes in a row all the other P5 conferences do to start the season. They were attacking mainly the cupcakes late in the season, usually just before a rivalry game. A cupcake game is a cupcake game to me, no matter when played. The main concern I have in scheduling FCS schools I mentioned in the postgame thread. And that is the tactics they employ, especially along the LOS, to make up for the gap in talent - size, speed, etc...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.