Wow! What a diatribe against the SEC by Gameday!

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I can't find it immediately with a google search, but Walt Maddox did a brief video about the cost and impact of gameday to the City of Tuscaloosa. A lot of jobs - albeit seasonal - are created by these home games. For a lot of the local retailers and restaurants, these 7 home games are the "Black Saturdays" that put them into profitability.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
They totally ignore the four cupcakes in a row all the other P5 conferences do to start the season. They were attacking mainly the cupcakes late in the season, usually just before a rivalry game. A cupcake game is a cupcake game to me, no matter when played. The main concern I have in scheduling FCS schools I mentioned in the postgame thread. And that is the tactics they employ, especially along the LOS, to make up for the gap in talent - size, speed, etc...
Yep, WCU might not be getting another paycheck from us. They didn't want to line up and take their beating quietly...wanted to divebomb at OL/DL's knees for 60 minutes.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Yep, WCU might not be getting another paycheck from us. They didn't want to line up and take their beating quietly...wanted to divebomb at OL/DL's knees for 60 minutes.
The game score would have been a bit more lopsided, if they'd manned up. That's all. I'm generally against the changes which further wussify the sport, but, yesterday, I began thinking that perhaps "Targeting" needed to be expanded to cover helmet to knee contact...

GulfCoastTider

Hall of Fame
The game score would have been a bit more lopsided, if they'd manned up. That's all. I'm generally against the changes which further wussify the sport, but, yesterday, I began thinking that perhaps "Targeting" needed to be expanded to cover helmet to knee contact...
I'm with you on the wussification of the sport. I also think the targeting rules are running into the Law of Unintended Consequences. If you can't lead with your head or target an opponent from the shoulders up, then a lesser opponent has little choice but to go low.

The targeting rules could actually cause more injuries rather than fewer, although those injuries are much less life-threatening than head/neck injuries.

That's another thing that these politically correct talking heads completely miss. Your argument for avoiding scheduling vastly inferior opponents is much more convincing than the one of optics made by the talking heads. That argument also plays right into their politically correct narrative that football is too violent and that it needs to be more thoroughly regulated.

"Well," they could say, "if you want fewer injuries, then don't allow little boys to play on the same field with big boys because the little boys have to find some way to compensate for the lack of speed, size and talent. The only way to avoid that is to keep big boys playing big boys and little boys playing little boys."

They don't make that argument because it makes too much sense. There's still the economics issue, but at least there's a defensible case to be made that has nothing to do with how it looks on Game Day.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm with you on the wussification of the sport. I also think the targeting rules are running into the Law of Unintended Consequences. If you can't lead with your head or target an opponent from the shoulders up, then a lesser opponent has little choice but to go low.

The targeting rules could actually cause more injuries rather than fewer, although those injuries are much less life-threatening than head/neck injuries.

That's another thing that these politically correct talking heads completely miss. Your argument for avoiding scheduling vastly inferior opponents is much more convincing than the one of optics made by the talking heads. That argument also plays right into their politically correct narrative that football is too violent and that it needs to be more thoroughly regulated.

"Well," they could say, "if you want fewer injuries, then don't allow little boys to play on the same field with big boys because the little boys have to find some way to compensate for the lack of speed, size and talent. The only way to avoid that is to keep big boys playing big boys and little boys playing little boys."

They don't make that argument because it makes too much sense. There's still the economics issue, but at least there's a defensible case to be made that has nothing to do with how it looks on Game Day.
That's actually my wife's theory. Of course she also always used to say to me that I should be playing basketball with guys my own age. I explained to her for the umpteenth time that the reason I was playing with 30 year olds was because I didn't know any 60 year old basketball players... ;)

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
The NCAA could adopt weight limits like many youth football leagues.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
The game score would have been a bit more lopsided, if they'd manned up. That's all. I'm generally against the changes which further wussify the sport, but, yesterday, I began thinking that perhaps "Targeting" needed to be expanded to cover chop-blocking...
FIFY

CLINT

1st Team
Aug 11, 2010
Central Illinois
BIG TEN SCHEDULE FOR SEPTEMBER 25, 2010
Ohio State vs Eastern Michigan
Michigan State vs Northern Colorado
Wisconsin vs Austin Peay
Michigan vs Bowling Green
Minnesota vs Northern Illinois
Indiana vs Akron

Really playing challenging teams after three warm-up games, eh?
I would say that Northern IL is not the cupcake we are all talking about. They are a MAC perenial Powerhouse...and if I recall correctly came to Tuscaloosa and beat us during the dreaded Shula years.....not too mention they were literally the MAC championship game away from playing in a BCS bowl last year....they aren't a Power5 team... but certainly aren't a western carolina or Austin Peay

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I would say that Northern IL is not the cupcake we are all talking about. They are a MAC perenial Powerhouse...and if I recall correctly came to Tuscaloosa and beat us during the dreaded Shula years.....not too mention they were literally the MAC championship game away from playing in a BCS bowl last year....they aren't a Power5 team... but certainly aren't a western carolina or Austin Peay
Your point is granted. For some reason while I typed it correctly, my mind read "Northern Iowa."

My bad.

MDB1981

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 29, 2010
Nectar, al
Part of the reason SEC schools are playing these non conference games this late in the season is SEC Network and ESPN ask the conference to spread out conference games all through the season. I don't know ifs that's contractual though. That said I really don't like these games against FCS teams, rather see a game against an other 5 conference this late. Would really rather see CNS get his preference and Power 5 only plays each other

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005
One of the main reasons these games take place is because the SEC no longer allows off-weeks prior to the SECCG . If you close out the regular season out with a traditional rivalry game , you now play a patsy the week before . I'd rather have this debate than the old uneven way of running into an opponent who may have had an extra week of preparation prior to the SECCG .

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
ESPN is in the business of showing entertaining college football games on Saturdays. Games like Bama/WCU, etc. are entertaining basically to only the fan bases of Bama and WCU. Its as simple as that.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I can understand not scheduling a heavyweight for this game but it should not be a cupcake either. Hopefully as the playoff system evolves these games will gradually go away. For every reason some give to justify them, I can give that many and more why they should not be scheduled. They are a net negative for the program as I see it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
The coach of Western Carolina gave it back to Herbstreit:

[QUOTE="Mark Speir, HC of Western Carolina]
"I'm just proud of FCS football," Speir said. "I'm proud of our football team, I hope America doesn't listen to a guy who sits behind a mike that hasn't ever done it, with that silver spoon in his mouth, he never had probably a bloody nose or a callous like some of these guys."[/QUOTE]

Sounds like he thinks Herbstreit is a little girly-man. ;)

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
If your job is to talk about CFB and their are no premier games on then you need a topic. The SEC big boys playing cream puffs provided that topic. End of story, really. Next week, the SEC talk will be all about Alabama and State playing a gauntlet at the end of the season again. Not sure why we don't all just know and expect this kind of stuff.

When your talk of the town you either need to give the masses something good to talk about or they'll find something bad to talk about. Just another typical week in the spotlight if you ask me.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I added up the top 10 (highest SoS) schedules for the past 4 years. The Big 10 has 0. No one should be taking the SEC to task for their schedule:
SEC: 17
Big 12: 14
Pac-12: 9

That's it, no other conference even had one team with a top 10 schedule in the past four years. Also, if I counted correctly, 12 different SEC teams made the list, so you can't even single out individual teams for playing soft schedules really. Only South Carolin and Vanderbilt haven't had a top 10 schedule in the past 4 years.

Last edited:

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
I added up the top 10 (highest SoS) schedules for the past 4 years. The Big 10 has 0. No one should be taking the SEC to task for their schedule:
SEC: 17
Big 12: 14
Pac-12: 9

That's it, no other conference even had one team with a top 10 schedule in the past four years. Also, if I counted correctly, 12 different SEC teams made the list, so you can't even single out individual teams for playing soft schedules really. Only South Carolin and Vanderbilt haven't had a top 10 schedule in the past 4 years.
So you're saying that South Carolina or Vanderbilt think they're Big 10 or ACC schools? ;-)

USCe used to be in the ACC, so that's forgivable I guess. But Vandy should be smarter than that.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.