Winston pushing referee before the snap

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Actually, this incident shows my biggest problem with the HUNH offense. The offense is trying to dictate the pace of play to the point of pushing officials out of the way to snap the ball before officials are in proper position. It is a huge advantage to the offense if the officials are not in the proper position and don't even have time to count the players and check for legal formations, etc. I see Malzahn screaming at the officials to get the ball set so they can snap the ball.

At some point, the officials have to get control of the game again.
I'm no fan of the HUNH, but this incident isn't a problem with that offense. It's a problem with a sociopath who thinks, apparently correctly, that the rules don't apply to him.

bradley30

1st Team
Sep 9, 2009
Oxford, AL
And this incident will set the precedent. From this day on there will be ref "bumps" happen and they will either flag it and get criticized or let the players get away with it.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The higher ups at the mighty acc have spoken...Exactly what you would expect...Translation it was the refs fault. Link
At this point, it should be pointed out that the ACC and FSU have had a bit of a contentious relationship. A big part of that had to do with FSU having financial troubles, and the ACC's TV deal favoring basketball schools (by including football tier 3 but not basketball tier 3 revenue, meaning FSU couldn't sell their PPV but North Carolina could get paid for their tier 3 basketball games). So, FSU apparently did some flirting, notable with the Big 12, but the ACC voted to create a huge buyout for leaving the ACC, which was also something that FSU was upset about.

If the ACC did lose FSU, they'd lose respect as a football conference and be in danger of a complete collapse. So, at this point, they're not going to step on FSU's toes and mess up their chance for a ACC title in football. It's all disgusting really, as Jimbo, FSU, and the ACC will pretty much overlook anything as long as it leads to football success. Paterno would approve.

This also makes it open season on refs, and introduces a whole new low for the HUNH mentality.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
And this incident will set the precedent. From this day on there will be ref "bumps" happen and they will either flag it and get criticized or let the players get away with it.
That is an insightful comment. The refs have a choice; stop this dead or expect "rubbing the refs" to become a part of the game.

PaulD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2006
near Perry, Georgia, United States
As long as FSU is the ACC's only shot at the CFP, don't expect the conference to do anything to get in their way if the ACC can hold their nose about an issue. On the other hand, if they lose to either Florida or Georgia Tech (the latter is more likely), don't expect the ACC to do them any favors then. Hell hath no fury like a conference you've embarrassed when you don't deliver the trophy.

AV8N

1st Team
Sep 18, 2013
Every time I see the video, it becomes more apparent that this was no "incidental" contact. If an official gets plowed over by a running back going at full speed because he can't get out of the way, that's football. But pushing the ref out of the way in order to run a play quicker - especially to prevent the defense from making substitutions they are legally allowed to make - is wrong. And. of course, it doesn't help that FSU and the ACC are saying the ref was in the wrong place so that makes it okay. Although, I've got to fault this official for letting him get away with it - it sends a really bad message, especially to HUNH teams.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
What Winston was really saying was this: Silly ref, you think you control the game. Well you don't. I do. Now get out of my way.

Did anyone notice how he looks backs at the ref and extends his arm toward him to keep him out of the way at the end? Even the ACC doesn't believe this was unintentional. They are selling the lie.

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al
What Winston was really saying was this: Silly ref, you think you control the game. Well you don't. I do. Now get out of my way.

Did anyone notice how he looks backs at the ref and extends his arm toward him to keep him out of the way at the end? Even the ACC doesn't believe this was unintentional. They are selling the lie.
Watch for Gus telling Nick Marshall to do the same.

Hooks4bama

1st Team
Oct 16, 2005
Montgomery
Im going to play devil's advocate now as I've heard opinions.

This was the new "experimental center judge". Normally the umpire is the one that stands in front of the center. The center judge was behind him in this situation, so was in the way of Jameis attempting to get under center in preparation for the go signal. I'm not excusing his childish behavior but there is some misunderstanding in this case. I can understand why there was no flag now.

If you look closely the Center judge checked his pocket for his wallet after the confrontation :D

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.