Tuesday's ranking could very well tell the tale

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
This coming Tuesday's rankings will tell the tale. If they move Mississippi State up to #3 and FSU falls back to #4, that will tell us that they are perfectly OK with having two SEC teams in. You don't move up a team up when you might move them out later on. You keep them at #4 if that is the case. It'll tell us that MSU is there to stay unless they lose to Ole Miss. Other then that, I don't see much movement happening. If anything, Ohio State and TCU might swap slots, but that's about it. I think if the four teams in it right now win out, that they might be the final four teams we see in the end.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think the writing is on the wall for MSU to stay at #4 and if Ohio State wins out they'll slide into the 4th slot.

I'll be shocked if that doesn't happen, especially in this first year where you'd basically have 4 conference champions representing the four slots, assuming Bama, Ore., and FSU win out.

FWIW, I'm not saying this is what SHOULD happen. And frankly, I'd rather play Ohio State in the playoff's first round too and probably 100% of college football fans would rather see that game instead of a Bama vs. MSU rematch.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The thing that is hurting Miss. State is when the lost, and the fact that their schedule is the weakest of the SEC West teams (still a tough schedule overall though). I was saying all along that Alabama was in if they win out, but their loss was earlier and mitigated by injuries (committee criteria), and their overall schedule was more difficult. Miss. State doesn't have the same SoS to fall back on, and although I would argue that their resume is good enough, I think the committee is going to go for inclusion if things are close enough to get away with it.

Having said that, if Miss. State wins out, they deserve to be in over any Big 12 team and probably Ohio State as well, although Ohio State's conference championship game will give them another potential quality win and that's what would give justification for allowing them to jump Miss. State.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The committee wants to maintain flexibilty with that #4 spot, so they will not lock themselves in by moving MSU up to #3. They can't/won't drop an undefeated FSU to the #4 spot - that is their only obvious "play in" spot this week.

None of the top teams lost this week. Makes next week all the more exciting.

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL
The Egg Bowl may put all that to rest, I know Ole Siss looked bd but hey Arky is a really good team. This game is like the IB in that records don't matter. We will see.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The Egg Bowl may put all that to rest, I know Ole Siss looked bd but hey Arky is a really good team. This game is like the IB in that records don't matter. We will see.
Ole Miss' offense is a disaster right now. They remind me of the Florida team earlier this season. Great defense, but they just can't score.

Tidefan1

Scout Team
Aug 21, 2013
Ole Miss' offense is a disaster right now. They remind me of the Florida team earlier this season. Great defense, but they just can't score.
I said when Treadwell got hurt that they would lose to Arkansas and Miss. St.

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
I don't care what their ranking is, FSU has no business there if Marshall doesn't. They'd be slaughtered in an SEC or PAC schedule.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
I think Miss St. is in the best shape of all. I believe at least 1 of Bama, Oregon and FSU is going to lose before the final poll. If any one of those three lose and Miss. St. beats Ole Miss which looks likely, State will move up a spot and one of Baylor or TCU will slide in the 4th spot. I think Bama walks all over Auburn and will be in a tough game in the SEC championship after an emotional win. Oregon and FSU both have conference championship games and FSU looks like a team begging for a loss and could get it against Florida and Will Muschamps final game.

I know we only got 2 more weeks to go before the final ranking is set but it still seems like a long way to go for me. State to me looks like having the easiest road in especially if we take care of Auburn as I expect. :)

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Heard last night that 6-5 Razorbacks would be a 1.5 point underdog to FSU on a neutral field, according to Vegas. Also heard that Ole Miss is decimated by injuries, reason why they lost.
I know Treadwell and Denzel Nkemdeche are injured, didn't know about anyone else, or that they are beaten up more than anyone else at this point of the season. If they are , State wins by 30.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Heard last night that 6-5 Razorbacks would be a 1.5 point underdog to FSU on a neutral field, according to Vegas. Also heard that Ole Miss is decimated by injuries, reason why they lost.
I know Treadwell and Denzel Nkemdeche are injured, didn't know about anyone else, or that they are beaten up more than anyone else at this point of the season. If they are , State wins by 30.
I don't remember the line for the FSU/BC game, but FSU was only a 2.5 point favorite against unranked Miami. We were 9.5 point favorites against the #1 team in the country. People aren't exactly confident in FSU winning.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
I would put my money on the Hogs.

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
The committee wants to maintain flexibilty with that #4 spot, so they will not lock themselves in by moving MSU up to #3. They can't/won't drop an undefeated FSU to the #4 spot - that is their only obvious "play in" spot this week.

None of the top teams lost this week. Makes next week all the more exciting.
I agree with this. I'm not convinced that the writing on the wall for MSU to drop from contention if Ohio State wins out. It will all depend on the manner each team plays their final games. Flexibility is the key. So if MSU shows weakness in beating Ole Miss or if Ohio St just wipes the floor with their opponents, OSU would probably jump into that coveted #4 slot. It's the "what have you done for me lately" mentality that drives the desire to drop teams on a bye week.

For the record, Ohio State has a better chance of breaking the top 4 than TCU in my opinion due to the Big 10 Championship game and it would not surprise me if OSU is #5 in this weeks rankings to reflect this.

Also for the record, I predict that both MSU and OSU will go to the playoffs because I don't think FSU will beat Florida and Georgia Tech. I see
1)Bama, 2)Oregon, 3)OSU or MSU, 4) OSU or MSU.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.