Western Carolina is/was a dirty team

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Given they are out of the playoff picture do you think we should expect similar tactics out of Auburn next week? They are not above going bush league imo.

irNate

1st Team
Nov 19, 2010
Snellville, GA
There were plenty of punches thrown and players shoved to the ground after plays that didn't make it on tv or get flagged. Maybe it wasn't dirty, but they sure do have sportsmanship problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Given they are out of the playoff picture do you think we should expect similar tactics out of Auburn next week? They are not above going bush league imo.
No, they're not. However, it's a rivalry game, so there may be the late hits OOB and hitting the QB late, plus the usual anxiety penalties, offsides and the like. But I don't expect the cheap shots to the knees and the "attitude" type stuff the WCU guys did out of an inferiority complex. Also, I don't think the AU staff actually coaches chops, and I think the WCU guys were. Despite what their coach said later, they performed a lot of moves which carried a high percentage chance that our guys would get injured. And they succeeded...

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
I remember lurking on their board in '09. They knew their chances of winning were low, so they (some of them) openly advocated injuring Ingram so we wouldn't go on to win the SECCG and BCSNC.

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL
Fairly was the dirtiest player I ever watched play college football even worst than the thugs at Miami during their run.

i think we give a lot of attention to this.

i don't think we will see WC again at BDS.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
Also, remember, Western Carolina was the team we were playing in 2004 when Brodie Croyle went out for the season with a horrid injury. That night, we went from a possible 9-3 team to a 6-6 team due to what happened in that game.

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al
Now, I do oppose this. I don't think this would be a positive move in any way for the University of Alabama in/at Tuscaloosa. All negative
consequences for scheduling this game! I would rather play Jacksonville State, Troy, Alabama State, Alabama A & M or South Alabama. However, all of these would adversely affect our recruiting. Why should the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa help build their program? It would only adversely affect the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa.

Can you just see a home and home with UAB! Never! Can you see a home and home with any of them! Never!

I enjoyed going to Legion Field many decades ago, but NEVER again.

What did FSU do to build up their program under Bobby Bowden? He scheduled BIG Name teams on the road like at Nebraska, et al. Let UAB do the same thing, but with teams out of state like Nebraska, Notre Dame, Michigan, maybe Florida State, et al. Maybe after they are successful in doing so maybe they can fill a new 40,000 seat stadium and play the University of Alabama at Tuscaloosa only until they have a 85,000 to 100,000 seat Dome in B'ham.
Where is this "University of Alabama at Tuscaloosa" stuff coming from? It is the University of Alabama. Had this discussion with an aubie this weekend.

Also, with the recent whining from the UAB followers about how the U of A is holding them back I don't care to help them with anything. I noticed that most of the people that are complaining the most about UAB not getting their own stadium are aubies, If they want to support another FBS school in the state then let them start a program at AUM.

tmv85

All-SEC
O
Where is this "University of Alabama at Tuscaloosa" stuff coming from? It is the University of Alabama. Had this discussion with an aubie this weekend.

Also, with the recent whining from the UAB followers about how the U of A is holding them back I don't care to help them with anything. I noticed that most of the people that are complaining the most about UAB not getting their own stadium are aubies, If they want to support another FBS school in the state then let them start a program at AUM.
The awbies think they are insulting us by referring to us as UAT so others can differentiate us from UAB and UAH. What they seem to forget is they have AUM, so based on their reasoning, the barn should be called AUA.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
Yeah, but they didn't injure him--he was scrambling and his knee just buckled.
Oh, okay. I couldn't recall right off how he got injured that night. I just remember being super ticked off at Shula for not pulling him out of the game much sooner!:mad:

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al
O

The awbies think they are insulting us by referring to us as UAT so others can differentiate us from UAB and UAH. What they seem to forget is they have AUM, so based on their reasoning, the barn should be called AUA.
I called them IBP for Institute of Bovine Proctology. They didn't like that to well.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
I'm of the opinion that if they are ejecting players for targeting, the chop block should carry a stiffer penalty as well. It's a dirty play and usually very intentional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A chop is far dirtier than targeting, IMO. It carries a higher potential for long-term, perhaps career-ending injury. And as others have already pointed out, a targeting violation is usually spur of the moment, while chop-blocking is premeditated, and involves at lease two colluding players.

In the case of at least one of the chops saturday, it involved three: the center went high while both guards went low. That is an obvious 3-on-1 attempt to injure and remove a player from the game. IMO, all three players should be ejected for that sort of cheap move. In a game that they had no chance of winning, no less. Absolutely bush league. And it had to have been coached.

pyro

Suspended
Nov 9, 2004
Winchester TN
This is the Only time you will ever hear me say this... Alabama needs to do something the barn does, play Alabama A@M... the barn played them a few years ago. With Alabama A@M being inside Alabama and a lot of there players or from Alabama I feel A@M players would respect and be proud to play a game inside Bryant Denny Stadium. Not to mention they propably would not try to hurt our players on purpose.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
You have to expect that from a lesser team & is part of the game against weaker teams..The worse team in recent memory to me was Georgia Southern when it came to them using chop blocks by their O-Line..
You mean cut blocks right? Most triple option teams use legal cut blocking. Look at GT

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.