Western Carolina is/was a dirty team

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Bama pays these kind of teams a ton of money to come to BDS. Contracts should call for substantial deductions for injuries caused by personal fouls such as the chop blocks. Perhaps they would refrain from coaching that if it was going to hit them in the wallet.

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
Bama pays these kind of teams a ton of money to come to BDS. Contracts should call for substantial deductions for injuries caused by personal fouls such as the chop blocks. Perhaps they would refrain from coaching that if it was going to hit them in the wallet.
Good point. But that's a slippery slope when you start paying for calls (as it would be interpreted).

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
As I was watching the game I began to wonder if all of our injuries at the hands of a lower division team was a random event or not.:conf2:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Some of it had to be luck, but there has to be a clear message sent. I support FBS teams playing FCS teams for a variety of reasons, but there's no way any FBS teams should schedule and opponent that chooses to play dirty.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
I have it from a credible source, the brother of the dog catcher that works in my next door neighbor's mother's county, that the barners paid UWC an extra 50K to soften us up a bit.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Other than the two chop blocks, I did not see any signs of dirty play. They were not hitting late, and they were not continuing the action after the play was dead. They did go low many times in the game, but every small player does this when faced with a much bigger player - even in the NFL.

The Cam Robinson injury was an accident - a player rolled on his ankle. The Cooper injury was an accident - normal tackle, low on a much bigger player. Fowler, Stewart and Vogler injuries were just football play injuries and not related to even low hits. Only A'Shawn's injury can be attributed to an illegal or dirty play.

BamaSC

All-SEC
Oct 17, 1999
Chapin, SC
I don't think anyone got hurt on the chop blocks. I hate to see those happen, but not sure if they were intentional. I missed most of the first half, but didn't see any dirty play. The low tackles on our WRs and RBs I blame more on the targeting rule. If you listened to the post-game comments by their coach, he doesn't sound like someone who was out to hurt our players.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Let's be honest, our guys were tired for that game. You could tell by watching Tyren Jones run like a mad man. And.. WC does not play in the SEC to be this fresh and motivated 11/12 of the way into the season.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I don't think anyone got hurt on the chop blocks. I hate to see those happen, but not sure if they were intentional. I missed most of the first half, but didn't see any dirty play. The low tackles on our WRs and RBs I blame more on the targeting rule. If you listened to the post-game comments by their coach, he doesn't sound like someone who was out to hurt our players.
Robinson certainly did...

BamaSC

All-SEC
Oct 17, 1999
Chapin, SC
Robinson certainly did...
I think that happened before I tuned in. Do you think it was intentional or maybe a miscommunication like someone on the OL didn't hear an audible?

I don't like these games either and if we have to play them, I'd rather us start the 2nd string and work on depth. But if CNS has an issue with how they played, we won't see them again.

TomTide

BamaNation Citizen
The two chop blocks were inexcusable. You don't go high/low on a player without doing it on purpose, and you certainly don't do it twice with innocent intentions.

That said, that was the only sign of "dirty play" I saw, and I don't think it was team-wide or systematic.

bamamoss2

All-SEC
Sep 10, 2000
Cullman, Alabama
Other than the two chop blocks, I did not see any signs of dirty play. They were not hitting late, and they were not continuing the action after the play was dead. They did go low many times in the game, but every small player does this when faced with a much bigger player - even in the NFL.

The Cam Robinson injury was an accident - a player rolled on his ankle. The Cooper injury was an accident - normal tackle, low on a much bigger player. Fowler, Stewart and Vogler injuries were just football play injuries and not related to even low hits. Only A'Shawn's injury can be attributed to an illegal or dirty play.
That is significant enough for me. My friend and called about several others before I started paying attention. I think there were more than (2).

Again, why do we support out of state schools who do this?

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

Ummmmm....how many does it take? A game injury is what it is, but chop blocks are planned (unlike most targeting, which are spur-of-the-moment) and involve two players. Getting called for two chop blocks in a game.....OK, somebody get me some numbers; how many times has that happened? I will wager not very dang many.....

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
WCU wrap-up: Alabama not getting its money’s worth from FCS opponents
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
November 23rd, 2014 07:22 PM

. By Jess Nicholas TideFans.com Editor-In-Chief Nov. 23, 2014 Let’s just be honest about it: Western Carolina was paid to lose. No, Alabama didn’t have an under-the-table deal. No Division-IA school ever does when it hosts a Division-IAA school. Michigan certainly didn’t when then-D1AA Appalachian State upset the Wolverines in Ann Arbor and ultimately cost […]

Read More Here

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.