Western Carolina is/was a dirty team

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think that happened before I tuned in. Do you think it was intentional or maybe a miscommunication like someone on the OL didn't hear an audible?

I don't like these games either and if we have to play them, I'd rather us start the 2nd string and work on depth. But if CNS has an issue with how they played, we won't see them again.
The cutter could not have missed the fact that our DL was stood up, engaged, and unable to protect himself. I'm going to state my attitude. A certain style of play does not have to be against the rules to be "dirty," in my view. Anytime a player deliberately makes a play in such a manner that he can be pretty sure that severe injury might result, then it's "dirty." May be barely within the rules (for now), but it's dirty. Example - could the DB who injured Coop have kept his feet and driven through the tackle instead of launching himself like a missile for Coop's knee? Sure. Would it have decreased his chances of preventing the TD? Probably, but this attitude that anything that can be done within the letter of the rule should or must be done is silly. It's called "good sportsmanship." YMMV...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
They were flagged for a late hit out of bounds.
Alabama gets those every once in a while, too. Does Alabama play dirty?

Please note that I am not saying that I am right and you guys are wrong - we just disagree.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
Bottom line...one chop block, injury or not, is enough to never schedule these clowns again. They didn't stand a chance and pull stunts like they did.

we are responsible for some injuries too because Vogler never should've been in when he was hurt and Cam should've been held out as a precaution too.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Bottom line...one chop block, injury or not, is enough to never schedule these clowns again. They didn't stand a chance and pull stunts like they did.

we are responsible for some injuries too because Vogler never should've been in when he was hurt and Cam should've been held out as a precaution too.
I agree. I don't want to see them on our field again. We don't need opponents who push the rules - and beyond the rules - knowing that injury is likely to result don't belong in our sphere at all...

Bamafan P.T.

All-SEC
Oct 15, 2005
Tuscaloosa
I'm of the opinion that if they are ejecting players for targeting, the chop block should carry a stiffer penalty as well. It's a dirty play and usually very intentional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
I was in the corner of the south end zone, I had a good view of the hit on Coop. I thought the hit was not only low, but late as well. Coop had stepped out of bounds prior to being hit.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I'd also make the chop block a 30 yard penalty that is an automatic ejection that is reviewable just like targeting. If we really want to make the game safer then that move has GOT to go. PERIOD!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Other than the two chop blocks, I did not see any signs of dirty play. They were not hitting late, and they were not continuing the action after the play was dead. They did go low many times in the game, but every small player does this when faced with a much bigger player - even in the NFL.

The Cam Robinson injury was an accident - a player rolled on his ankle. The Cooper injury was an accident - normal tackle, low on a much bigger player. Fowler, Stewart and Vogler injuries were just football play injuries and not related to even low hits. Only A'Shawn's injury can be attributed to an illegal or dirty play.
Well, for each CHOP BLOCK, deduct $150,000. For each unsportsmanlike conduct, deduct another $100,000 for each. If true I'm not sure they could have afforded to use local school district Yellow School Buses from Carolina to Tuscaloosa. They would also have had to set up tents in a park in Tuscaloosa or requested that they be able to set them up in the cemetery across from Bryant-Denny. They would not be able to afford to stay in a hotel. They would have to eat at a Burger King or McDonald's or maybe Coach Saban would donate some Little Debbies!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
We should keep the money in state and give UAB a game.
I don't know if you're thinking home and home (never happen) or just to pay them. However, the deal wouldn't make the financial sense that out of conference easy games do, simply because the viewers from B'ham are overwhelmingly Bama fans. A school which barely averages a few thousand at home games is not going to bring the 10-20K we get with OOC teams, and even those who come are going to turn around and drive back to B'ham, not hang around and pay for lodging, food etc. in T-Town.Just a fact of life...

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
We should keep the money in state and give UAB a game.
Now, I do oppose this. I don't think this would be a positive move in any way for the University of Alabama in/at Tuscaloosa. All negative
consequences for scheduling this game! I would rather play Jacksonville State, Troy, Alabama State, Alabama A & M or South Alabama. However, all of these would adversely affect our recruiting. Why should the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa help build their program? It would only adversely affect the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa.

Can you just see a home and home with UAB! Never! Can you see a home and home with any of them! Never!

I enjoyed going to Legion Field many decades ago, but NEVER again.

What did FSU do to build up their program under Bobby Bowden? He scheduled BIG Name teams on the road like at Nebraska, et al. Let UAB do the same thing, but with teams out of state like Nebraska, Notre Dame, Michigan, maybe Florida State, et al. Maybe after they are successful in doing so maybe they can fill a new 40,000 seat stadium and play the University of Alabama at Tuscaloosa only until they have a 85,000 to 100,000 seat Dome in B'ham.

snake plissken

1st Team
Apr 13, 2011
Birmingham
I don't know if you're thinking home and home (never happen) or just to pay them. However, the deal wouldn't make the financial sense that out of conference easy games do, simply because the viewers from B'ham are overwhelmingly Bama fans. A school which barely averages a few thousand at home games is not going to bring the 10-20K we get with OOC teams, and even those who come are going to turn around and drive back to B'ham, not hang around and pay for lodging, food etc. in T-Town.Just a fact of life...
I was thinking Bama pay them for one game in Tuscaloosa. I think UAB could sell 10-15k tickets against a team like Bama. Most students there are Bama fans anyway, so they would jump at the chance to buy tickets plus the 5-10 k UAB fans. I think you would see a clean game like UAB has had in the past with other SEC teams.

snake plissken

1st Team
Apr 13, 2011
Birmingham
Why should the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa help build their program? It would only adversely affect the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa.

Can you just see a home and home with UAB! Never! Can you see a home and home with any of them! Never!
Just one game in Tuscaloosa. UAB will never be able to compete with Bama. I would just like to see Bama help out their sister school instead of helping these out of state FCS schools.

mulletover

All-SEC
Dec 1, 2009
Cullman Alabama
I was thinking Bama pay them for one game in Tuscaloosa. I think UAB could sell 10-15k tickets against a team like Bama. Most students there are Bama fans anyway, so they would jump at the chance to buy tickets plus the 5-10 k UAB fans. I think you would see a clean game like UAB has had in the past with other SEC teams.

I think you hit on something here. Most if not all UAB fans are Bama fans so what enjoyment would there be in this game?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Just one game in Tuscaloosa. UAB will never be able to compete with Bama. I would just like to see Bama help out their sister school instead of helping these out of state FCS schools.
I think that most Bama fans would like to see that program shut down. Over its history, it's sucked some 80 million out of the system. To the extent a transfer of another half million from one part of the university system to one which is moribund, I'd have to oppose it...

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
You have to expect that from a lesser team & is part of the game against weaker teams..The worse team in recent memory to me was Georgia Southern when it came to them using chop blocks by their O-Line..

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.