My thought on Auburn/Alabama game this weekend

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Has anyone heard about jackson being the extra Tackle with the OL in the game if Volger can't go? I'm not saying it'll be the case for all plays throughout the game. This might help our running game if this is the case....

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Has anyone heard about jackson being the extra Tackle with the OL in the game if Volger can't go? I'm not saying it'll be the case for all plays throughout the game. This might help our running game if this is the case....
If Vogler can't go, we will either add a wide receiver and not utilize that TE position at all, or we will put Greene or Jackson as a "tight end" which will really be a de facto sixth offensive lineman.

Frankly, if we go with the latter, I'm not sure that really hurts us over what we normally do with Vogler, and it may even help the run game a bit, because Vogler doesn't give us any real value as a receiver. OTOH, Auburn has struggled to stop the pass, so more of a wide open attack could also be beneficial, especially given that you know we'll have to score some real points to match Auburn.

Think the key, either way, is going to be Sims in the passing game. We don't blow people off the ball up front, and for all of their defensive woes Auburn is generally solid in the front seven against the run. Given that, I can't see us just plowing through them and riding that to victory, so, given that we will need points, I think it has to come in the pass game. If Sims gets going like he did against Florida, we'll be fine. If it's another Arkansas or LSU, we're going to be in a lot of trouble.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I think its not a bad game plan at all. I would sit Volger for this game, and go with 3 wide outs. Why not? Mix up Greene, Howard, jackson. Another thing we have to think about is if we put Jackson on the line, We might see Howard moving out to outside as a "WR". I think they will mix it up and creating confusions for the defense. Kiffin is real good at this stuff. I know he will have field day with them. I don't think It's kinda fair to say Arkansas and LSU, because it was a different situation for us. Both games were on the road, and it's not easy playing agianst physical teams like them. Auburn is nothing like that. We played Texas A and M in midst of drought and we're playing Auburn who's struggling lately... This doesn't really bode well for them, because they picked wrong time to take few steps backward, and I doubt this will be fixed in two weeks... (Samford and Alabama)
If Vogler can't go, we will either add a wide receiver and not utilize that TE position at all, or we will put Greene or Jackson as a "tight end" which will really be a de facto sixth offensive lineman.

Frankly, if we go with the latter, I'm not sure that really hurts us over what we normally do with Vogler, and it may even help the run game a bit, because Vogler doesn't give us any real value as a receiver. OTOH, Auburn has struggled to stop the pass, so more of a wide open attack could also be beneficial, especially given that you know we'll have to score some real points to match Auburn.

Think the key, either way, is going to be Sims in the passing game. We don't blow people off the ball up front, and for all of their defensive woes Auburn is generally solid in the front seven against the run. Given that, I can't see us just plowing through them and riding that to victory, so, given that we will need points, I think it has to come in the pass game. If Sims gets going like he did against Florida, we'll be fine. If it's another Arkansas or LSU, we're going to be in a lot of trouble.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
I think its not a bad game plan at all. I would sit Volger for this game, and go with 3 wide outs. Why not? Mix up Greene, Howard, jackson. Another thing we have to think about is if we put Jackson on the line, We might see Howard moving out to outside as a "WR". I think they will mix it up and creating confusions for the defense. Kiffin is real good at this stuff. I know he will have field day with them. I don't think It's kinda fair to say Arkansas and LSU, because it was a different situation for us. Both games were on the road, and it's not easy playing agianst physical teams like them. Auburn is nothing like that. We played Texas A and M in midst of drought and we're playing Auburn who's struggling lately... This doesn't really bode well for them, because they picked wrong time to take few steps backward, and I doubt this will be fixed in two weeks... (Samford and Alabama)
Couple of general points:

(1) We typically go three wideouts even with Vogler, so if we go more pass happy, we'll go with four receivers more often than not. Howard may flex out wide to play that role at times, but it's hard to get overly carried away with that. Great athlete or not, at some point you are what your stat line says you are, which means he is a guy who averages about one catch per week. Hopefully we can utilize him successfully, but I wouldn't put many eggs in that basket.

(2) If you're thinking we'll get the same Auburn defense (or offense) that showed up against A&M, Georgia, or Samford, you're just setting yourself up for disappointment. It's a far bigger game on their end than any of those are, and we'll get their absolute best shot. And again, their front seven is pretty decent against the run, and we haven't been able to control teams in the ground game this season like we have in years past. I would love to say we will come out and run for 250+ yards against these guys and control the game, but there isn't any real reason to believe that will happen, especially with the health of both tailbacks being open for debate. We will more likely have to find success in other ways.

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I do agree with this, it just that usually for some reason, I'm not sure if we'll even get their best efforts.... I was just saying there could be possiblities of how they will match up against Auburn. Just have that feeling... Yeldon is feeling good, Henry should be okay.. Jones should be able to help out in a way.. We'll know more about our running game this weekend. I'm just more concerned about Sims and his passing the balls... He's still missing open guys in the field at times...

(1) We typically go three wideouts even with Vogler, so if we go more pass happy, we'll go with four receivers more often than not. Howard may flex out wide to play that role at times, but it's hard to get overly carried away with that. Great athlete or not, at some point you are what your stat line says you are, which means he is a guy who averages about one catch per week. Hopefully we can utilize him successfully, but I wouldn't put many eggs in that basket.

(2) If you're thinking we'll get the same Auburn defense (or offense) that showed up against A&M, Georgia, or Samford, you're just setting yourself up for disappointment. It's a far bigger game on their end than any of those are, and we'll get their absolute best shot. And again, their front seven is pretty decent against the run, and we haven't been able to control teams in the ground game this season like we have in years past. I would love to say we will come out and run for 250+ yards against these guys and control the game, but there isn't any real reason to believe that will happen, especially with the health of both tailbacks being open for debate. We will more likely have to find success in other ways.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL

Those are some good points but still you can only give your best effort for so long. The simple fact is their defense is down right horrible and eventually it's going to show. Sure maybe they keep it close at first but Sims, Cooper, Yeldon, and Henry should have a field day with them. Also their offense isn't fooling anyone this year and they have gotten (more or less) called for more holding calls as well.

Bruce014

1st Team
Aug 29, 2012
Alabama
Did you hear Herbstriet's commentary tonight on the CFP show? He said (I am paraphrasing) that this season opposing teams have figured out the HUNH, and that it is now just a tactic, not a strategy. I thought I had noticed the same trend, but I do not watch enough games around the country to validate the point.

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
Did you hear Herbstriet's commentary tonight on the CFP show? He said (I am paraphrasing) that this season opposing teams have figured out the HUNH, and that it is now just a tactic, not a strategy. I thought I had noticed the same trend, but I do not watch enough games around the country to validate the point.
I agree that Alabama has done better with it this year. Just more familiarity and practice against it. Auburn will attempt it a few times in the first half, I'm sure, to see if they can recreate their success from last year. I hope we hit 'em hard early so they quickly give up on that tactic.

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL
Well I just finished watching SEC Network with Chizik and Stinchcomb. Maybe it's their job and maybe it was their turn to focus on Auburn, but they just made it sound like auburn offense can't be stopped. I'm so confused. I kept thinking to myself what would UGA say about all this? If Alabama has no chance to stop (only slow auburn down) then how did UGA, Miss. State and Samford in the first half do so well???

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

BET, sounds to me from this that you expect an absolute shoot out (?).

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL
I have watched the A & M game 6 times, that's the team we need to show up. Pass rush was outstanding, DB's were Great. Kiffins play calling was one of the Best I have ever seen. Fans played a huge Role in success with noise. Players were loose & having fun. Blake Sims & Cooper were unstoppable.

Someone you you don't expect will step up & make a huge play.

if we play like this game, it won't be close at all.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I think the middle of the field will be incredibly open for Alabama to attack. Black, White, and Cooper should have great opportunities. It really is all on BS to play within the gameplan and stay calm. I also think you will see more designed runs for Sims. Defenses have been getting predictable and if my eyes aren't lying there is something that could easily be exploited for some big gains. IOW, I do believe AL has been lulling some folks for the stretch run. I pray they can execute and it will be a brutal beatdown.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.