My thought on Auburn/Alabama game this weekend

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Okay, Alabama –Auburn week is now officially under way! As always, we know that team stats doesn’t mean anything when it comes to playing against teams like Auburn.

Here are my thoughts on few things:
On offense:
We know that both teams are capable of putting points on the board with passing/rushing game.
Only thing I can say is that we have an advantage over Auburn is the ability to score more points. Auburn is having issues on both sides of the ball and I don’t know if Duke Williams playing will help them a lot. The best way to stop Auburn is to keep their offense off the field. When it comes to Time of possession, we’re ranked #18 and Auburn is ranked #68. I would think we might do something similar to Miss St Game in the 4[SUP]th[/SUP] quarter, where we took off almost 7 minutes. IF we can do that, we’ll be fine. Other key factors will be 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] down situations. Both teams are very good at converting 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] downs, especially look for Sims to have a huge night since Auburn doesn’t blitz well with their front and LBs. I would assume that Saban/Kiffin/Smart would have something up their sleeves, since they know Auburn Defense isn’t very good and will find a way to expose them. I Think with our running backs and short passing games, we could wear them down by 4[SUP]th[/SUP] quarter. Yeldon/Henry/Jones/Fowler should have a big game. Sims will do what he always do: Make plays with his feet.

On Defense- This is same offense from last year, and I think Bama defense will figure them out real quick, especially when we have real good players up front. This could be the game where we’ll see Tim Williams and Evans along with Devall getting some sacks in the game. I want you guys to think about it for a minute. Opponent Pass/Rush Yard per att, Opponent Pass/Rush TD, Opponent third down conversation percent, Opponent Redzone situations, Bama leads in all categories. Think about that for a minute. We really do have good defense and it’s way better than Auburn. Our defense needs to keep Auburn out of redzone situations, where Auburn excels the most. We need to make it uncomfortable for Nick Marshall to the point where he’s making mistakes left and right. The DL is putting their hands up in the air to tip passes, and that could be huge when we play Marshall, because I think he throws low on short/immediate passes. Our player has to be disciplined making sure we stay home when they run the options and I don’t think we’ll have issues with it since we had lot of practices this season. Who knows what Auburn is working on this time, they always come out with something different and we need to be ready for that.
Overall: We just need to keep doing what we do best. I think Stewart (may not play though) will be huge factor in the game, given the fact he can create mismatch on the offense with Cooper, White, Howard and Jones. Scoring points on this team shouldn’t be an issue. I’m little worried that Auburn will keep targeting Cyrus Jones especially after what happened last year. Depriest has to step his game up, can’t play slow at all. Alabama team is ready, they’ve been waiting for this game all season long, and they want it…. They want revenge for this game. I think this game will be 38-21. I think from watching them playing this year, and their struggles against MSU, Ole Miss(they should’ve lost that game) , Texas A and M and Georgia.. I don’t know their issues can be fixed in time to play great against us. There are some issues on that team, especially their defense and some things I’ve heard that’s related to a player who was recently suspended and I don’t know if it has anything to do with the team’s recent struggles. I just can’t see them magically waking up and play their hearts out. Your thoughts/concerns?

Source: http://myteamsbetter.com/#WEEKLY_GAMES?teamPK=8&statView=Key Stats&compareOption=ALL_OPPONENTS

Last edited:

snake plissken

1st Team
Apr 13, 2011
Birmingham
We need to play like we did last year, except take advantage of red zone opportunities and put the game away. We had them beat 3 or 4 times but couldn't close the deal.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I've noticed that. I hope Saban pulls Kiffin aside and say, " Run the ball in." WE need to get Yeldon/ Henry little more invovled in the game. They can tear Defense apart with their running game.
I agree, but one similarity I see is getting within the ten and, despite ripping off 5+ on runs, we pull up and pass. I know that a gimme pass down there is impressive, but I tend to side more with Saban in that situation...

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I agree, but one similarity I see is getting within the ten and, despite ripping off 5+ on runs, we pull up and pass. I know that a gimme pass down there is impressive, but I tend to side more with Saban in that situation...
If we get to the 10 yard line in the Red Zone, I would not mind seeing Jayson Fowler get the ball and bull doze it to the end zone. He did look good against W. Carolina on Saturday. However, I'm for whatever works so that we can win this game. We MUST WIN THIS GAME! No if's, ands or buts!

RTR!!!!!!!

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
I expect to see more reverses and misdirection, miss st was successful with a couple reverse plays that caught us flatfooted or over per suing.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
We have the better team and whoever does usually wins this game. I think the key in this game is our defense and the team not playing tight. If our D plays like they are capable of then I think we win by +10 pts. If not and Marshall has a field day against Cyrus Jones, then I could see a scenario where Malzahn could pin no 2 in a row on Saban.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
BLUE FONT>>>>And if you see a commotion on the sideline and a guy getting hauled off it'll be me after slapping Lane's visor off and telling him to run the ball.<<<<<END BLUE FONT

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
I think we can expect Auburn to focus on stopping the run and "boxing" AC with an underneath man and a safety over the top. When they go zone, expect it to run to him. I doubt they blitz much....it'll just be play the run and force someone other than AC to beat them. This has proven to be a fairly effective method to slowing us down. If they can stop our run without committing the other safety then we will struggle. If they can't, then our other WR's need to win their 1v1 battles consistently.

On offense, I think they'll just run their normal stuff with a few wrinkles. I expect them to attack our interior DLine to try and force us to commit additional people. If we can stop them without doing so then we have the advantage. If we can't then things start to open up for them.

IMHO, this game will be all about winning 1st down on both sides of the ball. If we can get 2nd and 3rd downs with short yardage then it's tougher to just dial in on AC. If we're faced with 3rd and longs and running isn't a threat then we become vulnerable. If AU can get 3rd and short then we'll see more of their gadget plays. If they're in 3rd and long a lot then it'll be a long night for them.

It's our talent vs their system. I give CGM credit...his system totally negates talent disparities when it's working.

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
This is Saban's 8th season with UA and there has only been one time where he lost to the same team in back-to-back seasons (LSU 2010-2011). And that 2011 game was a horrible example of missed opportunities where we handed the game away (only to drill them later in the BCSCG). My point is that Saban does his homework (especially when he has been bested before) and will be pouring over the recent Auburn games to plan this year's strategy. It is one of the reasons he is the best coach in college football. We will win Saturday and win big.:)

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
Saban said "stretched knee ligaments". I suppose that's all we'll know until the coming week, if then...
I don't mind the vague diagnoses and return timelines for players. The more people Auburn has to watch tapes on and prepare for, the better.:)

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
This is not last year's Auburn team. The UGA game showed us that. We are at home. We have a DL designed to stop Auburn. Their defense may be worse than last year. Their O is not better.

Not gonna be close

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.