Still Early but getting some buzz for a new #1 in the CFP

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I think that people need to remember that the final ranking and the semifinal seeding may very well be two different things.

We know that the top four in the final CFP rankings make the semifinals. However, there have been several quotes from committee members that seem to point toward the final ranking and the semifinal seeding being two different things. We know that the number one team will be given priority consideration by the committee in regards to semifinal location. However, it's also been mentioned that the committee will attempt to avoid a rematch in the semifinal round if possible.

To me, this points toward the likelihood of - assuming Bama ends up number one and Miss St ends up number four in the final ranking - Bama playing the number three ranked team in the Sugar Bowl and Miss St playing the second ranked team in the Rose Bowl.

And all that really matters, as far as ensuring our semifinal location is in New Orleans, is that we are either the number one or number two ranked team with Oregon being the other; this would put Oregon in the Rose and us in the Sugar.

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
From who? Danny Kannel?:wink:
In that case, I guess we should be ready for the following rankings:

1. F
2. S
3. U
4. Jameis Winston
5. The Brave men and women of the Tallahassee police department
6. Oregon
7. OSU
8. Every non-SEC team in the country
9. Every non-Alabama SEC team
10. Alabama

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
From who? Danny Kannel?:wink:
In that case, I guess we should be ready for the following rankings:

1. F
2. S
3. U
4. Jameis Winston
5. The Brave men and women of the Tallahassee police department
6. Oregon
7. OSU
8. Every non-SEC team in the country
9. Every non-Alabama SEC team
10. Alabama
Unfortunately you are not too far off. The guy should not be taken seriously by anyone.

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
I think that people need to remember that the final ranking and the semifinal seeding may very well be two different things.

We know that the top four in the final CFP rankings make the semifinals. However, there have been several quotes from committee members that seem to point toward the final ranking and the semifinal seeding being two different things. We know that the number one team will be given priority consideration by the committee in regards to semifinal location. However, it's also been mentioned that the committee will attempt to avoid a rematch in the semifinal round if possible.

To me, this points toward the likelihood of - assuming Bama ends up number one and Miss St ends up number four in the final ranking - Bama playing the number three ranked team in the Sugar Bowl and Miss St playing the second ranked team in the Rose Bowl.

And all that really matters, as far as ensuring our semifinal location is in New Orleans, is that we are either the number one or number two ranked team with Oregon being the other; this would put Oregon in the Rose and us in the Sugar.
I suppose that is an option for them. But it would probably be more congruent to just have the teams ranked so that it goes the traditional route of 1 v 4 and 2 v 3. It's just a matter of moving one team one spot, and the conference championship games week gives them a perfect opportunity to do it. The semifinal rematch will happen if they want it to and won't if they don't.

Hooks4bama

1st Team
Oct 16, 2005
Montgomery
Why does everyone think Ms. State is going to keep the 4 spot while they sit at home during conference championships? Ohio State will no doubt take that final spot.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
That's cool. Wasn't aware. Just saw Brad Edwards mention that Bama had the lowest chance of making it into the playoff. I thought that went against us going down on style points.

Like I said originally, I'm all focused on revenge against West Georgia.
That's odd. Brad's swimming against the Tide... ;)

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
Why does everyone think Ms. State is going to keep the 4 spot while they sit at home during conference championships? Ohio State will no doubt take that final spot.
No one knows for sure either way. It is all speculation at this point.

If MSU wins the EGG Bowl, they will have the resume of being 11-1 in the toughest division in college football and the only loss coming to the #1 team on the road. There's a great argument to keep them in. Hard to argue with it.

Assuming OSU wins out, they can claim that they are conference champions with its only loss coming early with a relatively new QB. They have a good argument, too. And the committee would have pressure to move a team that "just won" over a team that was idle because they didn't even win their division.

It's exciting. I think FSU will lose one or both of its next two games solving this dilemma. We'll see how it all pans out.

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL
I can't see anything in the weekend's results which would change the rankings much...
But you are using logic & common sense.

we don't know what this group will use.

Reminds me of a day when a Tide team unbeaten loses out to ND with a tie & a loss.

i just hope we are in but MS really don't stand a chance, no way they will allow 2 SEC teams, that's the whole purpose of the system.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
What would be their dream match ups? That is what you need to be looking at.

Oregon and Ohio State in the Rose Bowl. No brainer because that is what the Rose Bowl would want.

Bama and F$U in the Sugar Bowl. No brainer because that is what the Sugar Bowl would want.

If those four win out, book it.

1. Oregon
2. Bama
3. F$U
4. Ohio State

Or

1. Bama
2. Oregon
3. Ohio State
4. F$U

Last edited:

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
What would be their dream match ups? That is what you need to be looking at.

Oregon and Ohio State in the Rose Bowl. No brainer because that is what the Rose Bowl would want.

Bama and F$U in the Sugar Bowl. No brainer because that is what the Sugar Bowl would want.

If those four win out, book it.

1. Oregon
2. Bama
3. F$U
4. Ohio State

Or

1. Bama
2. Oregon
3. Ohio State
4. F$U
I would love this. A healthy Bama would destroy Ref Shoving U. Then they would have a great match up vs OSU or OU.

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
I can't see anything in the weekend's results which would change the rankings much...
This is the answer. We will still be #1. If Cooper or Cam had gone down with a significant injury, that Might have opened the door for us to slide, but there was nothing like that.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I'd take 2-3 vs. FSU in the Rose. Then let OSU/Miss. St. Take on the ducks in the Big Easy. Any matchup that involves our DL trying to catch Jameis like he stole something works for me.

Problem is FSU ain't gonna make the playoffs.
It's funny because it's TRUE. :D

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
I read a CBSSports article linked by Bruce Feldman that had several pundits commenting o this week's games. It was the most anti-Bama/SEC article I think I've ever read and that's not hyperbole. If the committee thinks like them at all we won't be a top 10 team.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think it is his particular formula in prediction of winning out so he can't really affect it one way or another. It just supports the easily seen fact that winning via the SEC route is just flat out damn tough.
If I have a choice, I'll go for Vegas over Brad... ;)

CrimsonChuck

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 1999
Philadelphia, PA
I think we might be better off being #2, as people said earlier in this thread, because we will play FSU in New Orleans. Though the committee hasn't really said if it will flip seeds so that they can avoid conference matchups in the semifinals, or so that a higher seeded team can play closer to home.

But I do hope that the committee gives us the same benefit of a doubt that they gave to Oregon for having an injured player during their loss. Likewise, our loss to Ole Miss was before they lost their best offensive player for the season. They aren't the same team. (Though it really shouldn't matter because we beat Arkansas too anyway.)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.