CFP Semifinal Predictions... Who's in?

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
A few predictions here...
1. Texas beats TCU. It's a home game for Texas after a week off for both teams. It's a Thursday night - which tends to favor the home teams. Texas has had some cold spots this year - against Kansas State and BYU, notably. But their defense has been good in the latter half of the season allowing 23, 13, 16, and 7 points. The only team that TCU has held to fewer than 23 points was Oklahoma State (9 points) - who Texas held to fewer. I think defense wins this one. Texas wins, I'll say 31-24.

2. Ohio State wins out.

3. Florida State loses to Florida. Teams tend to do well in final games under coaches that are well-liked - it seems to be an emotionally driven game where the team will give 100%. Florida seems to really like Muschamp. It's a heated rivalry with a chance to knock that rival off their perch. FSU has obviously had weak spots in every single game in the second half of the season. Believe it or not, Florida is actually the highest rated team on FSU's schedule according to Sagarin.

4. Missouri beats Arkansas, therefore they will be going to the SEC Championship. Again, this is a home game for Mizzou. Arkansas has played well two weeks in a row, but those have been home games against teams with injuries and broken spirits. Mizzou will come in tough and win a close game.

Final four going to the playoff - I've held pretty constant the past few weeks: Alabama, Oregon, Mississippi State, and Ohio State.

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
A few predictions here...
1. Texas beats TCU. It's a home game for Texas after a week off for both teams. It's a Thursday night - which tends to favor the home teams. Texas has had some cold spots this year - against Kansas State and BYU, notably. But their defense has been good in the latter half of the season allowing 23, 13, 16, and 7 points. The only team that TCU has held to fewer than 23 points was Oklahoma State (9 points) - who Texas held to fewer. I think defense wins this one. Texas wins, I'll say 31-24.

2. Ohio State wins out.

3. Florida State loses to Florida. Teams tend to do well in final games under coaches that are well-liked - it seems to be an emotionally driven game where the team will give 100%. Florida seems to really like Muschamp. It's a heated rivalry with a chance to knock that rival off their perch. FSU has obviously had weak spots in every single game in the second half of the season. Believe it or not, Florida is actually the highest rated team on FSU's schedule according to Sagarin.

4. Missouri beats Arkansas, therefore they will be going to the SEC Championship. Again, this is a home game for Mizzou. Arkansas has played well two weeks in a row, but those have been home games against teams with injuries and broken spirits. Mizzou will come in tough and win a close game.

Final four going to the playoff - I've held pretty constant the past few weeks: Alabama, Oregon, Mississippi State, and Ohio State.
I agree with your final four. Arkansas is hard to bet against vs. Mizzou right now, but your reasoning is understood. It would be interesting to see these 2 SEC teams (Bama and MSU) against the best of other conferences.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I really think if Oregon is going to lose it would be this week because wacky things happen in corvalis, but i still dont see it.
Ill go for chaos and say us and oregon win out. FSU loses to Florida but rebounds against GT, TCU loses to texas, Baylor loses to KSU, and OSU loses to whisky.
1.UA
2.OR
3.MSU
4.FSU
5.UGA if they dont reach Atlanta

so
UA vs FSU in the Sugar
Ducks vs Dawgs in Rose

UA vs Ducks in Dallas

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Going out on the proverbial limb here, but assuming every top 6 team, as of the 11/25/2014 poll wins out, the 4 playoff teams would be:

1. Alabama
2. Oregon
3. FSU
4. tOSU

If any of the top 6 loses then I have no idea who is in and who isn't

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
There will be four Power Five champions: SEC, PAC 12, Big 10 and Big 12. Sorry 'bout that ACC.
I agree basically. I think the Big 12 and ACC are the ones who will fight for the last spot. Now that it looks like the champions of the power 5 will all have very good records, I am of the opinion that they will not take 2 SEC teams, and leave out 2 power 5 champions. No way, no how. Too many "football people" around the country would go ballistic.

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
You can bet the house on this:

If Alabama beats Auburn tomorrow and then wins the SECCG next weekend, to become the 12-1 SEC Champion, Mississippi State WILL NOT BE IN THE PLAYOFF.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

If Alabama beats Auburn tomorrow and then wins the SECCG next weekend, to become the 12-1 SEC Champion, Mississippi State WILL NOT BE IN THE PLAYOFF.
Unless you are an MSU fan, this is not a bad thing. MSU is the most dangerous team not named Alabama in the country.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
Said many a homeless man. I've said before and will say again....whether by accident or design, the committee has, IMHO, consistently judged teams "bodies of work" in the here & now and ranked them accordingly. Teams have an opportunity to play their way in or out based on their performances. TCU, Baylor, and Ohio State all have the opportunity to create impressive wins, lackluster wins, and losses. This is what will determine if they are able to oust those ahead of them or not.

State has a great body of work and easily the best loss but they are in the undesirable position of not having an opportunity to win their conference (assuming an Alabama win over AU) and that limits their "play-in" opportunities. That is not the fault of the committee or the playoff format. State did that to themselves.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I think if FSU loses to Florida, which will knock them out of the playoff altogether, then MSU has a shot. It's just my opinion, of course, but I believe a lack of a championship game will hurt the Big 12 teams. Baylor, TCU, and Mississippi State will have identical 11-1 records. I believe that MSU has the best resume by far of those 3 teams and should be ahead of them. I believe if Ohio State wins out, with a 12-1 record, they will be included in the top 4. So, MSU needs one of the current top 4 teams to lose, and I think the most likely candidate is Florida State.

I think Baylor/TCU needs at least 2 of the top 4 to lose. JMO.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
I think if FSU loses to Florida, which will knock them out of the playoff altogether, then MSU has a shot. It's just my opinion, of course, but I believe a lack of a championship game will hurt the Big 12 teams. Baylor, TCU, and Mississippi State will have identical 11-1 records. I believe that MSU has the best resume by far of those 3 teams and should be ahead of them. I believe if Ohio State wins out, with a 12-1 record, they will be included in the top 4. So, MSU needs one of the current top 4 teams to lose, and I think the most likely candidate is Florida State.
Who will supply the refs for the Fla/Fla State game?

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
If Alabama beats auburn and MSU beats Ole Miss, Alabama goes to Atlanta by virtue of its head to head win over MSU. If UGA or Mizzou beats Alabama then you have a 2 loss SEC champion. Would the selection committee take an 11-1 MSU over an 11-2 SEC champion?

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
If Alabama beats auburn and MSU beats Ole Miss, Alabama goes to Atlanta by virtue of its head to head win over MSU. If UGA or Mizzou beats Alabama then you have a 2 loss SEC champion. Would the selection committee take an 11-1 MSU over an 11-2 SEC champion?
Mizzou would be annihilated by whichever SEC west team it played. Notice it is getting beaten by the last place team in the west...at home...with everything riding on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK

it's difficult to know but the case could be made to leave out Mizzou and let in State....If they blow out UM.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Looks like Oregon got its wish - a chance to beat Arizona in the PAC championship game and redeem their only loss of the season. But what happens if Arizona beats Oregon AGAIN? Doesn't beating the #2 team in the country TWICE in the same season deserve a trip to the playoffs?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.