CFP Semifinal Predictions... Who's in?

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Well, we've got two weeks of games and three sets of CFP rankings to be released before we know what teams will be in the College Football Playoff and the semifinal games in which they'll be playing. So, who've you got? Which four teams will make the top 4, what will be the semifinal match-ups, and what results over the next two weeks get us there?

I'll go first.

This week's (i.e., Tuesday's) rankings:
1. Alabama, 2. Oregon, 3. Florida State, 4. Mississippi State, 5. Ohio State, 6. TCU, 7. Baylor, 8. UCLA

This week's games:
Alabama takes care of business against the barn.
Oregon beats Oregon State.
Florida State loses to Florida, a result that will be shocking to many but really shouldn't shock anyone.
Mississippi State beats Ole Miss, barely.
TCU struggles with Texas, perhaps needing a last-minute score to secure the win.
Ohio State just embarrasses Michigan, sealing Hoke's fate - if it wasn't already.
Baylor runs Texas Tech out of the stadium.
UCLA beats up on Stanford.
Arky beats Mizzou, putting Georgia in the SEC Championship Game.

Next week's rankings:
1. Alabama, 2. Oregon, 3. Ohio State, 4. Baylor, 5. Mississippi State, 6. UCLA, 7. TCU, 8. Florida State

Next week's games:
Alabama beats Georgia to win the SEC Championship.
Oregon beats UCLA to win the PAC 12 Championship.
Wisconsin upsets Ohio State to win the Big Ten Championship.
Baylor loses to Kansas State.
TCU rebounds and massacres Iowa State (shocking, I know), becoming the official Big 12 Champion.
Florida State beats Georgia Tech to win the ACC Championship.

Final rankings:
1. Alabama, 2. Oregon, 3. Mississippi State, 4. TCU... [nothing else matters]

Semifinal Match-ups:

- Sugar Bowl -
#1 Alabama vs #4 TCU

- Rose Bowl -
#2 Oregon vs #3 Mississippi State

Despite many people's hopes and, perhaps, the committee's best efforts - by having Baylor leap-frog Miss St in next week's rankings, setting them up for a playoff spot - you end up with two SEC teams in the first College Football Playoff. The only question will be whether or not it's a rematch in the National Championship game.
:biggrin2:

Last edited:

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
Wow. Kudos to you for the work on that. I agree with every prediction in the first week. But I don't think that Mississippi State would drop to 5, especially if FSU loses.

So my changes for the immediate post-UA-Auburn week will be:
1. Alabama, 2. Oregon, 3. Mississippi State, 4. Ohio State, 5. Baylor, 6. TCU, 7. UCLA, 8. FSU

The next week's games:
Alabama beats Georgia to win the SEC Championship.
Oregon beats UCLA to win the PAC 12 Championship.
Ohio State will beat Wisconsin to win the Big Ten Championship.
Georgia Tech beats FSU to win the ACC Championship.

Final rankings:
1. Alabama, 2. Oregon, 3. Mississippi State, 4. Ohio State... [nothing else matters]

Semifinal Match-ups:

- Sugar Bowl -
#1 Alabama vs #4 Ohio State

- Rose Bowl -
#2 Oregon vs #3 Mississippi State

And Winston throws so many interceptions and tantrums in the final two games that his draft stock plummets.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
The hopes of the committee hinge on two things right now.

1. Alabama winning out
2. Oregon winning out

As long as they can make those two teams #1 & 2, then they will be happy no matter what happens behind them (though I think they are PRAYING for an FSU loss, so they can drop them like a bad habit). If the above happens, they get to send Oregon to the Rose and Alabama to the Sugar, thus making the $$$ that they want to make off of this. I am sure they would also be in favor of MSU losing to Mississippi, and one of the Big 12 teams losing so it makes their selections much easier. If they had their picks I am sure the playoff would look like this.

#1/2 Alabama vs. Big12 team Baylor/TCU
#1/2 Oregon vs. tOSU

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
This is the time of year when things always get squirrely. There's always at least one or two upsets that turn the boat upside down.
So I'll go out on a limb.
This week,
Bama beats Auburn
Oregon beats Oregon State
Texas upsets TCU
Baylor beats Texas Tech
Ohio State beats Michigan
Mississippi State beats Ole Miss
Florida upsets Florida State

Number 1-Bama
Number 2-Oregon
Number 3. Miss. Sate
Number 4. Baylor

Next Week

Bama beats Georgia(I'm picking Arkansas to run over Missouri)
Oregon loses to UCLA
Wisconsin upsets Ohio State
Baylor loses to Kansas State
Florida State crushes Duke
TCU beats Iowa State

Final Four
1. Bama
2. Mississippi State
3. Florida State
4. You heard it here first...U.C.L.A

Bama whips UCLA
Miss. State beats FSU

Bama versus Miss. State for the national title..

Now, where can I buy a lottery ticket?....:)

sip

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
This is the time of year when things always get squirrely. There's always at least one or two upsets that turn the boat upside down.
This week,
Bama beats Auburn
Texas upsets TCU
Baylor beats Texas Tech

Number 1-Bama
Number 2-Oregon
Number 3. Miss. Sate
Number 4. Baylor

Next Week

Oregon loses to UCLA
TCU beats Iowa State

Final Four
1. Bama
2. Mississippi State
3. Florida State

Bama whips UCLA
Miss. State beats FSU

sip
Brandeaux beat you to the UCLA thingy before the season started.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
I really think that #4 spot goes to either Ohio State or Baylor in the end.

The only way for sure to know that they are OK with Miss State getting in, is if they move them up to #3 Tuesday night, which in reality, they should jump FSU, but we'll see.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I used this thread, because I didn't see a CFP poll thread for this week. Here is a tweet from Bret McMurphy that confirms what I thought all along-

All you need to know from Jeff Long: "Conference championships are important & they will certainly be weighed heavily on selection weekend"

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
This week,
Bama beats Auburn
Texas upsets TCU
Baylor beats Texas Tech

Number 1-Bama
Number 2-Oregon
Number 3. Miss. Sate
Number 4. Baylor

Next Week

Oregon loses to UCLA
TCU beats Iowa State

Final Four
1. Bama
2. Mississippi State
3. Florida State

Bama whips UCLA
Miss. State beats FSU

sip
Well I don't know about all the predictions, but if in 2 weeks FL St beats or even plays Duke then it really will be squirrely since Ga Tech has clinched that spot. ;)

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
I take it you didn't watch the game where Oregon completely decimated UCLA at the Rose Bowl. Oregon has won the last 6 straight matchups against UCLA, including a conference championship, and 11 of the last 13.
I suppose you didn't watch the Ole Miss game where we were on a decade long win streak, but they caught us on the right night and snapped it. Streaks were made to be broken my friend.

With that said, I don't think that scenario happens. Still, Oregon has made a living on choking on the big game to keep them out of the championship game. (Or choked in the championship game itself. Either one works)

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL
I just hope we can get FSU in the Sugar Bowl. I just don't see the Gators doing it at all. The rest I don't care, but for us to shut the mouth of the rapist, thief, thug & the whole cover up system in Tallahassee would be GREAT!

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I still think FSU has the most likely chance to falter (Florida and Ga Tech will give them problems), and if/when they lose they'll be out of the picture unless there is mass hysteria. I also think that one of the two Big12 teams lose, thus eliminating them from consideration. With that in mind, it leaves:

Alabama
Oregon
tOSU
Mississippi St
Big12 team that doesn't lose
(You could make long shot cases for UCLA and UGA, but I don't think either will sniff the CFP)

That is five teams for four spots. I think tOSU might struggle in their CCG if they play Wisconsin, so there is a possibility they lose...but I highly doubt it. If I were to place a bet today, my CFP bracket would look like this.

Alabama vs. TCU/Baylor (Sugar Bowl)
Oregona vs. tOSU (Rose Bowl)

I think if tOSU wins out, they will jump MSU (no guarantee they even win the egg bowl honestly).

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.