Iron Bowl 2014. Perhaps the most important IB in the Nick Saban era

JD95

All-American
Oct 18, 1999
Birmingham, AL
I would argue that 2009 and 2013 were the most important Iron Bowls of the Saban era.

In 2009, we were undefeated, ranked #2, and on a collision course to meet #1 Florida for the SEC Championship and eventual trip to the BCS Championship Game. Auburn was overmatched but played lights out and controlled the game most of the way. Alabama passed the test with a gutsy fourth quarter drive featuring lots of McElroy-to-Jones passing, and then survived an Auburn "Hail Mary" into the end zone as time expired. This win and the next two against Florida and Texas brought the first national title to Tuscaloosa in 17 years and ushered in the Saban dynasty at Alabama.

In 2013, we were undefeated, ranked #1, and the two-time defending National Champion. We were driving toward college football history and immortality as the first and only school to win three straight titles. Auburn was also undefeated and ranked #3. The winner would advance to the SEC Championship Game with a chance at a BCS title. It's no exaggeration to say it was the biggest Iron Bowl ever (with 1971 a close second, although Nebraska and Oklahoma were clearly the two best teams in the country that year), and we blew it. The kicking game imploded, the defense could hold Auburn at crucial times, and the offense couldn't make a yard on 4th down when it mattered most.

Se we've split the two most important Iron Bowls so far in the Saban era. I think this one ranks 3rd in terms of importance (and will nudge the 2010 game out of its current spot at #3).

For what it's worth, in terms of overall stakes and national significance, here is my list of all-time most important Iron Bowls in my lifetime (i.e., since 1968):

1. 2013
2. 1971
3. 2009
4. 2014
5. 2010
6. 1989

So we need to win this week to even the record at 3-3 in these games!!

Tidetwin

All-American
May 15, 2006
Northeast Georgia
But that's just it...because it's the barn, it ain't "any other team". It's those booger-eating fools in west Georgia. You know, the ones who lied and covered up, then rode lady luck like a rented horse, and have yet to pay their karma bill. If a good chunk of it doesn't get paid on Saturday, then there is no justice in the world.
No, it's not just "any other team" - it's that freak show that thinks their football team is better than Bama's (remember the "State of Auburn" tee shirts?).
I hate the barn. Losing to them makes me want to crawl in a hole for a year.
I dreamt last week that Auburn beat us 55-10. I made a conscious and very determined effort to wake up as quickly as possible. I always worry that we will lose to them in some form or fashion regardless of the strength or weakness of their squad.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
It's true that a loss to Auburn would knock us out of the playoffs so it's a big game indeed.
On the other hand a loss to Arkansas, Texas A@M, LSU, Mississippi State, Tennessee, or Western Carolina would have knocked us out of the playoffs as well, so it's not like we're not use to the pressure. For all practical purposes we've been in a single elimination playoff since we lost to Ole Miss, and we'll still be in the same scenario if we beat Auburn and advance to the title game next week.
I don't think it will be necessary but if we did lose to Auburn and Miss. State lost to Ole Miss, then we'd still win the West and go to the title game.
I wonder what would happen if, goodness forbid, we did lose to Auburn, Sate lost to Ole Miss, then we go to Atlanta and win the SEC Championship. Would a two loss SEC Champ make the playoff?
Let's not take that chance and kick the you know what out of Auburn and whoever.
sip
I would say they would have to take a 2-loss SEC champ over Baylor, but I don't see it happening. However, the hue and cry of not having an SEC team in the Final Four, when everybody in the country knows they would be better than half if not all of the teams there....it would make an interesting scenario, but I don't see them giving the SEC it's due, if this should come to pass. Unless the lizards beat the criminoles - then, maybe. Bama would have lost this game at home, and that might be too big to overcome.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
I would argue that 2009 and 2013 were the most important Iron Bowls of the Saban era.

In 2009, we were undefeated, ranked #2, and on a collision course to meet #1 Florida for the SEC Championship and eventual trip to the BCS Championship Game. Auburn was overmatched but played lights out and controlled the game most of the way. Alabama passed the test with a gutsy fourth quarter drive featuring lots of McElroy-to-Jones passing, and then survived an Auburn "Hail Mary" into the end zone as time expired. This win and the next two against Florida and Texas brought the first national title to Tuscaloosa in 17 years and ushered in the Saban dynasty at Alabama.

In 2013, we were undefeated, ranked #1, and the two-time defending National Champion. We were driving toward college football history and immortality as the first and only school to win three straight titles. Auburn was also undefeated and ranked #3. The winner would advance to the SEC Championship Game with a chance at a BCS title. It's no exaggeration to say it was the biggest Iron Bowl ever (with 1971 a close second, although Nebraska and Oklahoma were clearly the two best teams in the country that year), and we blew it. The kicking game imploded, the defense could hold Auburn at crucial times, and the offense couldn't make a yard on 4th down when it mattered most.

Se we've split the two most important Iron Bowls so far in the Saban era. I think this one ranks 3rd in terms of importance (and will nudge the 2010 game out of its current spot at #3).

For what it's worth, in terms of overall stakes and national significance, here is my list of all-time most important Iron Bowls in my lifetime (i.e., since 1968):

1. 2013
2. 1971
3. 2009
4. 2014
5. 2010
6. 1989

So we need to win this week to even the record at 3-3 in these games!!

I started this thread with the 2013 IB as a reminder but also the eventual consequences with that bitter defeat.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
It's a big game. It will not define Alabama's position in college football history.
Boston,

I realize that, but as a Bama fan, I want us to be the first team in CFB history to have a chance to be the champions in the new Playoff format. that's the reason why I stated Alabama's possible legacy if we were to win it all first.

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
IMO all that matters is these players lost this game last year, aubren didn't win it ,Alabama lost it in a very ugly way and I hope like heck those players are still hurt g from that loss and do their best to redeem themselves. And that's from the head coach to the janitor. If our team comes out with their head on right it could easily be over at halftime. rtr.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
I was over at an Auburn message board just to get their feel for the game. The majority of them are chalking up a loss. Some are saying they will win, but there is not a lot of confidence in their team right now.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
I was over at an Auburn message board just to get their feel for the game. The majority of them are chalking up a loss. Some are saying they will win, but there is not a lot of confidence in their team right now.
Which boards are you looking at?? They are still calling Bryant Denny JHS West or Tubby Stadium. Don't get me wrong there are some who aren't as confident but many of them seem pretty convinced they can pull a "2002" on us this year.

Last edited:

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Which boards are you looking at?? They are still calling Bryant Denny JHS West or Tubby Stadium. Don't get me wrong there are some who aren't as confident but many of them seem pretty convinced they can pull a "2002" on us this year.
I think it was ITAT. I saw threads stating how they cannot wait till the season is over, and they don't have a good feeling about Saturday.

U of A

3rd Team
Oct 16, 2011
Nashville TN 37211
Let's see, we got the bad taste from last year that's still very fresh if you ask me, a fan base that's extremely sick of being asked if they've got "another second" and the possibility of going to the NC game, yeah this Saturday is big. I'm guessing that BDS will crack its foundation this weekend.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
None of that matters on the football field.
If you think none of that matters to the players, especially the "tee shirt" part, you are just kidding yourself. The rest of it matters immensely to Bama fans everywhere, and to the players on the team from Bama. Don't think it matters? Ask Nudie. Or AJ.
It ain't "just another game".

Tide Rev

All-American
Mar 22, 2000
Ocean Springs, MS
For me, last year was as bad as the Punt Bama Punt game. Ever since that dreadful day in B'ham, this has been for me as a fan the biggest game of the year. It's Auburn and I do not care if both of us are 0-whatever, it is the biggest game regardless.

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
I think in the WC game our guys mighta thought that WC was gonna be a pushover and they gave us more than we thought. By the second qtr. we woke up. I don't think that they will treat Auburn that way. I think they know what's at stake and come out ready to play. And if we play like I know we can, we'll be just fine and on our way to the SECCG and beyond. Gonna be soooo nice to see them kiss that new ugly trophy as the CFB's 1st playoff champion!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.