Iron Bowl 2014. Perhaps the most important IB in the Nick Saban era

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
Look we know what happened in last year's IB. thinking about it to this day still makes me sick.
The loss prevented Alabama from making College Football history, but in the process it assisted auburn to proceed to the NC game, their 2nd appearance in 4 years!! Alabama did the same thing in the 2010 IB when we had the chance to prevent them from their first NC in 50 years! The 2 losses have not only close the gap in the IB series, but help auburn go on to play for the ultimate prize! oh the irony....:mad2:

Well, here we are folks, one full year after " you got a second" game. The difference in this game is that auburn will not have an opportunity for the NC win or lose. BUT Alabama has everything to lose if the Crimson Tide doesn't take care of business on November 29th, 2014. Alabama has always been the gold standard in setting CFB records and traditions, the Tide can once again set precedence with a chance to be the first Champion in the inaugural Playoffs. IMHO, this game will not only determine Nick Saban's legacy at Alabama, but it will determine Alabama's legacy in College Football history.

Some might think I'm being overly dramatic, but if we lose the IB, this is what will happen:

- we lose to auburn again, Nick Saban will be 4-4 vs. auburn. the barners will have the last laugh knowing " they" were the ones who ruin our chances for greatness.
-we are out of the SECCG. another loss opportunity to grab the SEC title, a birthright for Alabama.
-we will not be in the Playoffs. period.

Last edited:

EscaTider

Hall of Fame
Oct 2, 2008
Flomaton, AL
That's why I don't really enjoy the Iron Bowl anymore. We usually have MUCH more to lose than they do, and they always seem to play loose with nothing to lose. I rarely enjoy an IB win these days- I just have relief that we didn't lose it.

But you are dead-on in the statement that this particular one is a must-win...on several levels.

chuaner

Scout Team
Aug 26, 2008
From pure conspiracy theory point of view, if the winner of this game has a chance to reach the BCS final. The results are always in favor of the potential winners:

e.g.:
we beat barns in 2008 to complete the undefeated regular season.
In 2009, though barns gave us a hard fight, the cody 5 eventually helped us won the game.
Though we lead 24:0 in 2010, we still manage to LOSE the game in a 1 point. (Many believe we returned the favor from barns last year).
Same thing for 2011 and 2012, the only exception is 2013, as both have chances.

If that stands, we will win no matter what:)

Bamafaninco1

All-SEC
May 14, 2011
Colorado Springs, CO via Cullman, Al
That's why I don't really enjoy the Iron Bowl anymore. We usually have MUCH more to lose than they do, and they always seem to play loose with nothing to lose. I rarely enjoy an IB win these days- I just have relief that we didn't lose it.

But you are dead-on in the statement that this particular one is a must-win...on several levels.
This is why I wish they would move the game to, never again, or if we have to play them then to the first or second game of the season.

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama

Not sure how you cannot enjoy the Iron Bowl EVERY year. It doesn't get much better than this for Alabama. Yes, the boogs have broken our hearts a few times in the past 40 years, but Alabama still leads the series and continues to be in the championship picture year after year. Alabama will take care of business on Saturday, and I think we pound them pretty badly...especially if we play like we did against Texas A&M.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
IMHO, this game will not only determine Nick Saban's legacy at Alabama, but it will determine Alabama's legacy in College Football history.
Not even close. As cc2259 said, this is a big game, but not one that will determine Coach Saban's or Alabama's legacy. Right now it seems huge because there is a lot riding on the outcome. But in the years ahead we'll still be playing for national championships, Coach Saban will still be regarded as one of the best college coaches ever, and this will be just another Iron Bowl - win or lose.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I'm not worried - the only two times (2007 aside) the barn has beaten Bama (2010 and 2013) the teams required late comebacks in order to win, and both of them played for the NC (they were good teams). The other four years Bama has won by an average of 29.5 points.

This barn team isn't playing for the NC...

James Eagle

1st Team
Aug 9, 2011
North Georgia
There have been very few real upsets in the history of the Iron Bowl. The favored team will win 90% of the time. That will be true again this year. Roll Tide.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
It's true that a loss to Auburn would knock us out of the playoffs so it's a big game indeed.
On the other hand a loss to Arkansas, Texas A@M, LSU, Mississippi State, Tennessee, or Western Carolina would have knocked us out of the playoffs as well, so it's not like we're not use to the pressure. For all practical purposes we've been in a single elimination playoff since we lost to Ole Miss, and we'll still be in the same scenario if we beat Auburn and advance to the title game next week.
I don't think it will be necessary but if we did lose to Auburn and Miss. State lost to Ole Miss, then we'd still win the West and go to the title game.
I wonder what would happen if, goodness forbid, we did lose to Auburn, Sate lost to Ole Miss, then we go to Atlanta and win the SEC Championship. Would a two loss SEC Champ make the playoff?
Let's not take that chance and kick the you know what out of Auburn and whoever.
sip

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
Not even close. As cc2259 said, this is a big game, but not one that will determine Coach Saban's or Alabama's legacy. Right now it seems huge because there is a lot riding on the outcome. But in the years ahead we'll still be playing for national championships, Coach Saban will still be regarded as one of the best college coaches ever, and this will be just another Iron Bowl - win or lose.
ok lets see what happens come Saturday night IF we lose.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
It's true that a loss to Auburn would knock us out of the playoffs so it's a big game indeed.
On the other hand a loss to Arkansas, Texas A@M, LSU, Mississippi State, Tennessee, or Western Carolina would have knocked us out of the playoffs as well, so it's not like we're not use to the pressure. For all practical purposes we've been in a single elimination playoff since we lost to Ole Miss, and we'll still be in the same scenario if we beat Auburn and advance to the title game next week.
I don't think it will be necessary but if we did lose to Auburn and Miss. State lost to Ole Miss, then we'd still win the West and go to the title game.
I wonder what would happen if, goodness forbid, we did lose to Auburn, Sate lost to Ole Miss, then we go to Atlanta and win the SEC Championship. Would a two loss SEC Champ make the playoff?
Let's not take that chance and kick the you know what out of Auburn and whoever
sip
Sip,

my exact thoughts!!

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
No such creature as "Just another Iron Bowl".

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
I think the boggest impact a loss would have is people claiming the game has passed saban by. The HUNH has beaten him etc. I do not agree with that but how do you think Alabama would be perceived after another loss to a HUNH team. Do you think we would stop getting the benefit of the doubt that I think some voters give to Alabama. And after a WIN over Arkansas Saban received so much criticism from fans of all people. What would a loss to one of our biggest rivals do.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
The Iron Bowl is always big. I enjoy it, but I also hate it and it would not hurt my feelings one iota if the barn rats moved to the SEC East, and we caught them on a rotation basis. And with the way the SEC is now, that would only mean playing them once every decade. As someone stated earlier, I only feel relief if we win, and feel like crap if we lose. Plus, even when we win, the barnies do one of two things. If it's close, they do like they did in 2009 and claim a moral win, or if we run them out of the stadium like we did in 2001, 2008, 2011, and 2012, they act very detached so as to try and downplay the significance of our win. "Well, we knew going into this year that we weren't going to be very good, so ya'll beating us accomplished nothing". It took us many tries to finally beat them on our own campus. That was mainly due to the Shula years and the extremely uneven playing field during that time, but still. Last year's result was sickening, and the ONLY way to right that wrong is to replace that memory with an absolute annihilation of them. Although, a 1 point win over them will do, we need to show them (just like Georgia did) that we have not forgotten that rigged crap they pulled last season.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
If it was any other team people wouldn't even be nervous about this game.
But that's just it...because it's the barn, it ain't "any other team". It's those booger-eating fools in west Georgia. You know, the ones who lied and covered up, then rode lady luck like a rented horse, and have yet to pay their karma bill. If a good chunk of it doesn't get paid on Saturday, then there is no justice in the world.
No, it's not just "any other team" - it's that freak show that thinks their football team is better than Bama's (remember the "State of Auburn" tee shirts?).
I hate the barn. Losing to them makes me want to crawl in a hole for a year.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.