Scarbinsky with a suggestion to those in BDS

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I think it is classless too...

As an aside, they dropped Tennessee from the additional lyrics and have added FSU.

Auburn
LSU
and FSU.

It doesn't make it any better, but I think we all share the sentiment towards the 'Noles right now.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
Have we so utterly forgotten the difference between public and private language choices? Say what you want with your friends in private but how can anyone think it is OK to scream that word in public? It is astonishing and totally narcissistic to be so oblivious to the fact that it is a public venue with children, etc. I'm not personally opposed to any type swearing, but it's just immaturity and bad form to feel as if you have some sort of right to say whatever you want whenever you want.
I hope I was clear that I am not advocating the behavior, just recognizing that young people view public vulgarity in a different light than most of us here. Music, movies and even TV are effectively endorsing and occasionally glorifying that view and absolutely nothing is out of bounds on the internet. We can stress over it or get used to it; our choice, but it ain't going away.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
It's been there atleast the last 4 years because I've heard it, and I remember a thread asking what they were saying not too far back. I'm surprised that it took people this long to gripe about it to be honest. The only way to stop it is take the song out of the playlist, but then again it did no good when they tried taking out rammer jammer, so they will find a way to do it. So classless yes but I doubt anything will be done about it without people finding some other way to do something else.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
We have honestly never really heard it. We don't sit near the student section ever, so I never heard people around us singing it. Now, I already knew about it and I would never partake in that.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
And dare I say, piping in the band over the speakers.... ;)
I know it's not traditional but I really really love what they did with the music in the Tippi Tate game. Sounds even better when listening to that game with headphones on. If that gets the players going, I can overlook it. But yeah, we need to knock out the uber profanity in DLD.

... and ban Rammer Jammer too. :biggrin:

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
My son said it started while he was there, between 09-13. I doubt the students will ever stop chanting it. My guess is that if it is loud on Saturday, and it will be, there won't be any Dixieland Delight at all next season.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
Stop playing the song, end of problem. This shouldn't be difficult. I love music as well as anyone, but can't we come up with a song that doesn't promote profanity? How many small kids are usually at a game? We don't have to do this.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I guess the machine could order the Frats not to do it. That would be a start.
That's easier said than done,and plus it's way more than the Greeks who are doing it. There is only an immediate solution and that is take the song out of the playlist , but then they will find another thing to do. I don't condone any of it and I don't participate in it either, but you can't stop a bunch of hooligans chanting stuff that is inappropriate.

Last edited:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Stop playing the song, end of problem. This shouldn't be difficult. I love music as well as anyone, but can't we come up with a song that doesn't promote profanity? How many small kids are usually at a game? We don't have to do this.
The song isn't the problem. Stupid 18-22 year-olds are. I was there once. No excuse. Stop it or the song goes away. Period.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i would expect the students would come up with plenty of profane chants regardless of the song. its not the song that is causing the issue, it is those chanting during it.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
That's easier said than done,and plus it's way more than the Greeks who are doing it. There is only an immediate solution and that is take the song out of the playlist , but then they will find another thing to do. I don't condone any of it and I don't participate in it either, but you can't stop a bunch of hooligans chanting stuff that is inappropriate.
i first started going to games in 78, we would always have cheap seats right next to the student section, and when i would usher with the boy scouts, we were in the same section. i heard plenty of "inappropriate" things being chanted. as long as there are drunk/rowdy students/fans at the game, you will have this type of behavior.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
The song isn't the problem. Stupid 18-22 year-olds are. I was there once. No excuse. Stop it or the song goes away. Period.
This. If you expect to be considered as a class team and school, you don`t do stuff like this, period. IMHO, there`s too much history, legend and tradition with which BDS and the University of Alabama are steeped in to have it disgraced in such a way.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
I don't understand why we play this song in the first place. It contains vulgarity without any addition from the students.

Rollin' down a backwoods, Tennessee by-way,
One arm on the wheel.
Holdin' my lover with the other,
A sweet, soft, southern thrill.
Worked hard all week; got a little jingle,
On a Tennessee Saturday night.
Couldn't feel better, I'm together,
With my Dixieland Delight.
Those two words are far worse than anything the students have added.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
i would expect the students would come up with plenty of profane chants regardless of the song. its not the song that is causing the issue, it is those chanting during it.
Our fraternity used to have some chants and songs that would singe the hairs off your ears. When I was pledge, we had to do them, but I always thought they were kind of pointless and stupid. You're right. College age kids have a talent for pointless, stupid and profane. Same as it ever was.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.