Bham Dropped as Possible 2016 DNC Site

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
clicky

The Democratic National Committee this afternoon announced its finalists for the 2016 presidential convention, and Birmingham was not included. The party narrowed the list to Columbus, Ohio, New York and Philadelphia.

Mayor William Bell told AL.com that he would talk with DNC leaders to get an evaluation of Birmingham's bid, including what worked and what didn't.
It was wasn't as ludicrous as Langford's bid for the Olympics, but it was still a veeeeeeeeeeeery long shot.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I applaud Birmingham for giving it a shot, but it was a long shot at best. The politics of Alabama aside, the city of Birmingham doesn't have the infrastructure to host a major political party convention. (I'd say the same if they were going for the Republican convention).

Last edited:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
This just in: Germans bomb Pearl Harbor.

Hmmmm...lets see....
1. Red state with, absent the proverbial pictures with a dead girl or a live boy, exactly zero chance of going blue.
2. Even if, on the once-in-several lifetimes chance of a GOP blunder big enough to swing the state, the Dems somehow win, the state still carries only 8 (9?) electoral votes.
3. No venue anywhere near large enough to host-- unless you count Legion Field.
3A. Nowhere near enough hotel rooms, telecom infrastructure, entertainment, etc., etc., ad infinitum, to accommodate.
4. Historically corrupt government.
5. Historically inept government.
6. Coming off what was at the time the largest municipal bankruptcy in American history.
7. The only things Birmingham is world class in are (1) buffoons in elected office, and (2) quality of the top few restaurants.

Birmingham should count itself lucky it didn't even make the first cut. Had it won the DNC, the rest of the country would have been laughing itself speechless for decades.

I know. I live in the burbs of Birmingham.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
This just in: Germans bomb Pearl Harbor.

Hmmmm...lets see....
1. Red state with, absent the proverbial pictures with a dead girl or a live boy, exactly zero chance of going blue.
2. Even if, on the once-in-several lifetimes chance of a GOP blunder big enough to swing the state, the Dems somehow win, the state still carries only 8 (9?) electoral votes.
3. No venue anywhere near large enough to host-- unless you count Legion Field.
3A. Nowhere near enough hotel rooms, telecom infrastructure, entertainment, etc., etc., ad infinitum, to accommodate.
4. Historically corrupt government.
5. Historically inept government.
6. Coming off what was at the time the largest municipal bankruptcy in American history.
7. The only things Birmingham is world class in are (1) buffoons in elected office, and (2) quality of the top few restaurants.

Birmingham should count itself lucky it didn't even make the first cut. Had it won the DNC, the rest of the country would have been laughing itself speechless for decades.

I know. I live in the burbs of Birmingham.
8. Can you imagine the (unpaid) water and sewage bills that the DNC would have produced?
#9. Can you imagine all the vendors that would have gone unpaid for supplying their products and services at the DNC?
Do you think the black community will feel now dissed and try to burn downtown Birmingham? (We should be so lucky :wink:)

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I guess the Democrats can kiss all hopes of carrying Alabama in the 2016 Pres election good-bye.

Kinda like the Republicans carrying Minnesota in 2008.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I think they ought to hold it in Ferguson, MO. I mean, that's their voter base anyway. Besides, I'm sure Ferguson could use the economic boost and Hillary can blame the woes of the inner city on the Republican Congress.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
I applaud Birmingham for giving it a shot, but it was a long shot at best. The politics of Alabama aside, the city of Birmingham doesn't have the infrastructure to host a major political party convention. (I'd say the same if they were going for the Republican convention).
That article notes that the DNC eval committee will provide Bham with what it saw as Bham's shortcomings wrt it's ability to host a major event such as a political convention. So the attempt wasn't a total bust.

That in itself may give Mayor Bell some additional leverage as he tries to improve the city. that's in sharp contrast to Langford's Olympic bid--he coughed up $250,000 to make the bid, and in return got little more than howls of derisive laughter--which was precisely what he deserved.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
That article notes that the DNC eval committee will provide Bham with what it saw as Bham's shortcomings wrt it's ability to host a major event such as a political convention. So the attempt wasn't a total bust.

That in itself may give Mayor Bell some additional leverage as he tries to improve the city. that's in sharp contrast to Langford's Olympic bid--he coughed up $250,000 to make the bid, and in return got little more than howls of derisive laughter--which was precisely what he deserved.
You could spend a lot less than $275,000 of my money (I'm a Birmingham resident) to find out what improvements Birmingham needed to host a sizable convention. No, this was done for sole purpose of Bell's and the Council's ego and schmoozing with the DNC elite. No one with a straight face can tell me they would have went after another (more plausible) convention with such vigor.

Three glaring issues I see:
1) More hotel rooms (downtown - Hoover doesn't count)
2) Reliable taxi service
3) Strip clubs

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
That's a trick question. No one with an ounce of sense would be caught in downtown Birmingham at night.
Depends on how you define both "downtown" and "night."

I can show you a lot of entertainment areas between Highland Avenue and the Uptown area that are safe as your mother's arms before about 9:00 PM.

True, as it gets later, the safe areas shrink. After midnight, it's iffy unless you're parked within 30 yards of your point of departure.

Between 2:00 AM and 6:30 AM or so, even that no longer applies. After about 6:30AM, the bad guys are generally in bed or jail, and the cycle begins again.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Depends on how you define both "downtown" and "night."

I can show you a lot of entertainment areas between Highland Avenue and the Uptown area that are safe as your mother's arms before about 9:00 PM.

True, as it gets later, the safe areas shrink. After midnight, it's iffy unless you're parked within 30 yards of your point of departure.

Between 2:00 AM and 6:30 AM or so, even that no longer applies. After about 6:30AM, the bad guys are generally in bed or jail, and the cycle begins again.
Which further magnifies the reasons that Birmingham was rejected as a DNC site.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
That's a trick question. No one with an ounce of sense would be caught in downtown Birmingham at night.
The Birmingham Barons attracted even more fans to downtown Birmingham in the team's second season at Regions Field.
Total attendance for the Barons was 437,612, a 10 percent increase compared to 2013's 396,802.
It was the second highest total in Southern League history, trailing only the Barons'Michael Jordan-fueled 1994 season, in which the Barons attracted 467,868 fans.

http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingham/news/2014/09/04/barons-attendance-rose-10-in-2014.html

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.