With the Birmingham/true Iron Bowl sentiments......

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
The current game as it is played is not the Iron Bowl anymore. It's just the Alabama-Auburn game. We should drop the moniker, because it has lost it's meaning (it's not in the Iron city any more, and it's not a bowl because the tickets are not 50/50). I would prefer a neutral site game, but not in Atlanta. I've been to Auburn for several Alabama-Auburn games, and it was not much fun.
We all have our opinions but I don't think many will share this sentiment with you. As for going to Auburn....I think they have a great atmosphere and a beautiful campus. IMHO, moving the series to home and home has greatly enhanced the rivalry, not weakened it. But you know what they say about opinions.....

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
Wow the poster, a couple above me, had an awesome idea. The TV ratings, fan popularity, and success of the state's teams clearly place Birmingham in the center of the college football hurricane. A wise B'ham or even Shelby County leader would find away to build that domed, our retractable roof stadium, even if it was an erector set type like the Central Florida or Stanford Stadium (but obviously larger). The center of the college football universe and the football capital of the south, could seriously have it's own SEC vs ______"Kickoff Classic" like Atlanta and Dallas have at the beginning of the year. If there isn't a current SEC Hall of Fame or historical museum, then a location near the stadium would enhance the neutral site game. An arena team could help fill the void, along with larger music acts. The bowl game would grow in drawing power with these additions, as well. As I said before, in a perfect world. Imagine the possibilities if one could make it happen. Now accepting campaign contributions, ;)
The problem is Birmingham. It's a cesspool.

wsims74

3rd Team
Apr 30, 2013
I also think that moving out of birmingham for our big home games was part of the deal when UAB started playing divI football, I think we contractually can't play there.

Last edited:

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
There is no way the iron bowl is going back to Birmingham. There will never be a justifiable economical reason to move the game there. Legion field has past its prime, just a fact. There are great memories of fantasist games there, and for sentimental reasons, I wish we could play there again, but it just isn't happening.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t there double header games at one time at Legion field. Auburn would play a game in the early afternoon and Alabama would play at night?

CrimsonTsunami

Scout Team
Jan 27, 2010
Birmingham
There is no way the iron bowl is going back to Birmingham. There will never be a justifiable economical reason to move the game there. Legion field has past its prime, just a fact. There are great memories of fantasist games there, and for sentimental reasons, I wish we could play there again, but it just isn't happening.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t there double header games at one time at Legion field. Auburn would play a game in the early afternoon and Alabama would play at night?
Yes there was a time.

In September 1966, Tennessee shutout Auburn 28-0 in an afternoon game and then Bama shutout Louisiana Tech 34-0.

In November 1968, Alabama beat LSU 16-7 in the afternoon and then Auburn beat an AP #5 Tennessee team (whom we lost to 10-9 in Knoxville a few weeks earlier) 28-14.

In September 1973, Auburn beat Oregon State 18-9 in the afternoon and then Bama demolished California 66-0 in the night cap.

A different time and a different era.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I grew up in Birmingham and have great memories of my dad taking me to games at Legion Field. The memories of coach Bryant leaning on the goal posts pre game or shaking hands with handicapped folks lined up at one end of the stadium are ingrained in my mind. They are just memories however and Bryant Denny is now the place where I took my daughter to games. I wouldn't want to play the games in Birmingham anymore, it just wouldn't be the same.
We have a world class stadium in Tuscaloosa and we should play all our home games there.
I've still got my memories. RTR!

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
The current game as it is played is not the Iron Bowl anymore. It's just the Alabama-Auburn game. We should drop the moniker, because it has lost it's meaning (it's not in the Iron city any more, and it's not a bowl because the tickets are not 50/50). I would prefer a neutral site game, but not in Atlanta. I've been to Auburn for several Alabama-Auburn games, and it was not much fun.
Yes, yes and yes. Legion Field has changed and so has the game. It is time to move on and let the past stay in the past.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Birmingham was the football Capitol of the South. They had the Iron Bowl, the SEC championship game, the All American bowl which would be about 40 years old right now, making it one of the older bowl games, and they had a promise from the NFL for the next expansion franchise. They let all that slip away. Birmingham has had every opportunity that Atlanta had, but mis management of those opportunities has put the city and the state where they are now.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The problem is Birmingham. It's a cesspool.
Birmingham was the football Capitol of the South. They had the Iron Bowl, the SEC championship game, the All American bowl which would be about 40 years old right now, making it one of the older bowl games, and they had a promise from the NFL for the next expansion franchise. They let all that slip away. Birmingham has had every opportunity that Atlanta had, but mis management of those opportunities has put the city and the state where they are now.
Those who live near B'ham are seeing a change for the better. Noone doubts B'ham's past poor leadership and corruption, but to act like things can't/won't change is to ignore reality. It is already changing.

The new Baron's stadium is just one example. Then the area known as "Uptown" has already radically changed downtown B'ham and if you are ever there you might want to notice the big green space just to the north where a new stadium could spark even more traffic for downtown.

If B'ham officials could ever figure out a way to do it I'm confident that B'ham could host some great sporting events and yes, as others have suggested, there could be a great "kickoff classic" type game every year. I love the idea of an SEC vs. "anybody" else type of game every year.

Now, as for the IB being moved there annually, I doubt that might happen. But could B'ham attract a once every few years IB with huge payouts to the the schools??? Money always talks and if it ever happend B'ham would bask in its glory!

Last edited:

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
When I was in school in the '70's we played in B'ham several times a season and I always had to hop a ride because I didn't have a car. Of course that wasn't a problem because everyone was going but in those days it was common place to carry a flask into the game so a lot of students rode back to Tuscaloosa three sheets in the wind. As an alumnus, I much prefer to go to games on campus.

What I miss about the B'ham IB is the 50/50 split. I really wish the two schools would agree to alternate between the campuses but each school would get 50% percent of the tickets. IOW, both sites would be neutral. I realize this won't happen, but it would be cool. As an earlier poster stated, if you haven't seen the two sides yelling at each other, you've missed something. It was truly like a bowl game.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Never to return to Legion Field.
Too many robberies, assaults. Think gang land.
Once the Upper Deck was removed it holds a little more than a 1/3 of the people we draw to Tuscaloosa.
I'd almost vote to play in Auburn instead of 'The old gray lady'...
Face it... It shows Bham in a very poor light.
I used to hate to pay extortion money for a parking spot, then extra for my car to not be damaged.

It pains me to admit that Pat Dye was right about playing home and home...
SO... I'll just say we may have been on the wrong side of that argument.

:BigA:

ROLL TIDE ROLL.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.