iron bowl rankings stat. please tell me i'm wrong

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
when Bama is ranked and auburn is not since 1980 their record is 10-1

When auburn is ranked and bama isnt their record is 8-4 since 1980

When both teams are ranked auburn leads the series 10-1 since 1980

When bama is ranked higher and both teams are ranked their record is 1-5 since 1980

When auburn is ranked higher and both teams are ranked their record is 5-0 since 1980.

so overall bama is 11-11 when they're ranked since 1980

auburn is 18-5 when they're ranked

so there are all the stat breakdowns y'all asked for.

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
some of the losses/ wins we had against Auburn were with bad coaches.. can we exempt them from the records :)

When bama is ranked higher and both teams are ranked their record is 1-5 since 1980

When auburn is ranked higher and both teams are ranked their record is 5-0 since 1980.

Bruce014

1st Team
Aug 29, 2012
Alabama

I am curious: Why are you using 1980 as your starting point?

SeattleBama

All-SEC
Aug 6, 2008
Those stats are interesting. Thanks.

The one that matters most to me is when we are ranked higher vs a lower ranked barn. Looks like we win 83% of those contests.

tmv85

All-SEC
An interesting fact during those years is that the barns LARGEST margin of victory was only 10 points. Some of those years we were struggling badly, and they were cashing in on that by getting the higher ranked recruits, yet they never beat us by more than 10. They should have been wiping the field with us in some years.

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
I really hope you don't play roulette.
so, now you're assimilating a game of complete random chance with a game of skill, and attempting to make the point that, since I dont make the same assimilation, I am of inferior intelligence. its a 35 year sample period dude. its not a mirage stat. stop trying to make me look stupid for pointing it out.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
idk why youre making the attempt to make me look foolish? its not an obscure stat at all. we've lost 10 of the last 11 when both teams are ranked.

I don't think he is trying to make you look foolish. The point is that you can make a stat in favor of any team.

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
It doesn't seem like you are just pointing it out. It seems like you think it has some bearing on this game. If you don't, that's fine. If you are just pointing out a random stat from a randomly selected period, OK. That's fine, too. But if you think anything that happens on Saturday will be affected, in even the slightest bit, by what happened in 1995, that's where you are going off track.
A) the last 34 years is not a randomly selected period... its the amount of time it's been since alabama has beaten auburn in a game of this weeks circumstances. both teams ranked and bowl eligible.

B) those ranked games also happen to begin in the post bryant era up to and including the saban era, the era in which we currently exist.

C) Saban has not yet beaten a ranked auburn team. i would call that an important stat that does have bearing on the game... seeing as 2 of those losses were to malzahn offenses.

D) I am not saying we're going to lose the game, however I am saying that there apparently is an on going trend of auburn wanting this game worse than we do.

when there is not a substantial talent gap, auburn has had the overwhelming tendency (.909 to be exact) to win this game over the last 3 decades. There are loads of extenuating circumstances to each one of those losses, but the fact remains. The only way to really explain it is that our culture of expecting excellence and their culture of hating us has translated to the tendency for them to take us more seriously than we take them.

If you see that stat as anything other than at least a bit concerning to our respective mindsets, then you're probably looking at it through crimson goggles. All I want is revenge over last year... and all i feel is everyone expecting to blow them out.

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
I don't think he is trying to make you look foolish. The point is that you can make a stat in favor of any team.
i could see that point if i was manipulating an obscure stat.. i'm not. How do you look at 1-10 in ranked matchups since bryant retired as anything other than an alarming stat? especially seeing as we had some pretty good teams lose over that span. teams that had a shot to win it all.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
i could see that point if i was manipulating an obscure stat.. i'm not. How do you look at 1-10 in ranked matchups since bryant retired as anything other than an alarming stat? especially seeing as we had some pretty good teams lose over that span. teams that had a shot to win it all.
Because this was pre-Saban. What other coaches or teams did means absolutely nothing to what will happen on Saturday.

If you look at since Saban has gotten here..the only "upset" was 2013. But as Bamainboston mentioned in another thread..Auburn was on the rise. They were playing on a high level coming into the Iron Bowl. We were the all around better team...but it was still close. They made fewer mistakes than we did..and it was a crazy way to win.

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Because this was pre-Saban. What other coaches or teams did means absolutely nothing to what will happen on Saturday.

If you look at since Saban has gotten here..the only "upset" was 2013. But as Bamainboston mentioned in another thread..Auburn was on the rise. They were playing on a high level coming into the Iron Bowl. We were the all around better team...but it was still close. They made fewer mistakes than we did..and it was a crazy way to win.
we were up 24-0 on auburn, AND we were favored in that game. just because they were ranked higher than us doesnt mean that wasnt an upset. that was one of the biggest choke jobs in college football history. period.

last year they wanted it worse than we did. We should have won that game, and not because of the fluke play. we should have controlled that game and we didnt. Thats a problem.

And again... this trend is NOT pre saban... this trend is current. When auburn sucks we've won by 30-40 points, and when theyre good we've lost. the lone exception being 2009 when we were the best team in the country and they were average... and we still needed julio to be a hero to win that game.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.