iron bowl rankings stat. please tell me i'm wrong

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Then what is the point of you arguing that the stats matter? Since you know that we can change them?
history only repeats itself if you dont learn from it.

if you sit around thinking that we're invincible and auburn is our redhead adopted little brother.... then theyre just going to keep showing up and beating us whenever they have a chance to do so.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
history only repeats itself if you dont learn from it.

if you sit around thinking that we're invincible and auburn is our redhead adopted little brother.... then theyre just going to keep showing up and beating us whenever they have a chance to do so.
Fans have no influence on how the team plays. I am sure they learned a huge lesson from last year. They all had to go back into that locker room after losing. That is more important than what fans think about the game. That will be their motive.

Bruce014

1st Team
Aug 29, 2012
Alabama
If the issue is ranked 'Bama vs. ranked Auburn, with both going bowling, then use the entire history of the rivalry. Your cutoff point essentially removes the single most successful coaching era in history.

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
If we'd beaten them in 93 or lost to them in 94, it would have no impact on this game. If Chris Capps could block or they'd called the touchdown like they should have in 95 or Dubose wasn't an idiot in 97, it would have no impact on this game. In fact, the only one that might have affected it was Capps, done that got us Saban.
thats why im talking about trends and not games. its gonna take a lot more games of us showing up to reverse the trend of getting beaten 91% of the time when they have the horses to run with us.

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
If the issue is ranked 'Bama vs. ranked Auburn, with both going bowling, then use the entire history of the rivalry. Your cutoff point essentially removes the single most successful coaching era in history.
ugh. its a trend. if we beat them 100 times in a row... then lose 30 in a row. we have a great all time record, but is anyone happy with the direction of the rivalry?

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Fans have no influence on how the team plays. I am sure they learned a huge lesson from last year. They all had to go back into that locker room after losing. That is more important than what fans think about the game. That will be their motive.
i dont totally agree. i think the culture fans create (aka tradition is the word we college football fans like to use) absolutely affects a football program and its players attitudes.

Again i'm speaking in trends. theres always exceptions to the rule.

Bruce014

1st Team
Aug 29, 2012
Alabama
ugh. its a trend. if we beat them 100 times in a row... then lose 30 in a row. we have a great all time record, but is anyone happy with the direction of the rivalry?
Yes, I keep videos of 2010 and 2013 on my phone. God, no, of course I am not happy with the trend, but I also know that football games are independent random variables; if the teams are close to even then it is a uniform distribution and the result is no different than the results of a coin flip.

More troubling than selective statistics is your angle here: What are you trying to accomplish? Are you trying to make us all feel like crap?

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Yes, I keep videos of 2010 and 2013 on my phone. God, no, of course I am not happy with the trend, but I also know that football games are independent random variables; if the teams are close to even then it is a uniform distribution and the result is no different than the results of a coin flip.

More troubling than selective statistics is your angle here: What are you trying to accomplish? Are you trying to make us all feel like crap?
I fail to see how my statistics are selective... they span all games since 8 years before i was born and i'm a completely bald bearded adult.

And i have no motive. i was pointing it out. its a fact. its not a manipulative or selective number. It's something i think we, as a fan base, should be aware of.

In the least "selective" way possible....

When auburn has been ranked since bryant retired, they are 18-5 against us overall including 3-0 against saban. We gotta step our intensity up in this game consistently to reverse that. That starts with us taking auburn as seriously as we take LSU or Florida and not acting like they're our scrawny little brother that we destroy every year.

Last edited:

Bruce014

1st Team
Aug 29, 2012
Alabama
I fail to see how my statistics are selective... they span all games since 8 years before i was born and i'm a completely bald bearded adult.

And i have no motive. i was pointing it out. its a fact. its not a manipulative or selective number. It's something i think we, as a fan base, should be aware of.

In the least "selective" way possible....

When auburn has been ranked since bryant retired, they are 18-5 against us overall including 3-0 against saban. We gotta step our intensity up in this game consistently to reverse that. That starts with us taking auburn as seriously as we take LSU or Florida and not acting like they're our scrawny little brother that we destroy every year.
That makes it selective.

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Under this theory, if we had won last year, we'd be more likely to win this year. Which is absurd. Not only is it bad logic and bad statistical analysis, it doesn't even properly take into account emotion, which is what it purports to do.
at what point did i say that this affected our likelihood to win this year? you can go back and read the whole thread... i'll wait.

Its a representation of how this game has trended when auburn is good since the best coach ever stopped coaching. I interpret it to mean that auburn's culture as whole focuses on gaining relevance/validation by circling us, and we don't take them as seriously. you can interpret it how you choose, but you cant dismiss it as fabricated because it is fact.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I think Everyone needs to cut cmmiller711 a break. He simply was just pointing out the trends of what happened the last few years... That's all. IT doesn't matter where he started at.. as long we know what the result will be: Beating Auburn.

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
He's wrapped himself in so many knots at this point he needs some slack. Of all the things for people to worry about this week, us not taking Auburn seriously is not one I expected to hear.
i havent wrapped myself in any knots. i presented an unbiased fact, and gave my opinion about what i think it means. you've put words in my mouth a few times. but either way, i'm not going to argue anymore. night friends! I'll see you next year when i feel like getting ganged up on for having a thought again lol.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Miller, it's not the "facts" or the "trend" its your repetitive insistence that insinuates this means something for Saturday, which it does not.

When trends or streaks exists, they only do so one game at a time and in this case, the only one that matters is the one on Saturday.

But beyond everything you've said, the most troubling aspect of your repetitive comments is they sound just like what would come out of a Barner, especially how they love to pick the the series stats from the early 1980's.

As CNS would say, this thread is clutter (even though we don't play the games) and none of this really matters just like the game last week doesn't matter or the game last year doesn't matter or the game in 1985 doesn't matter.

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Miller, it's not the "facts" or the "trend" its your repetitive insistence that insinuates this means something for Saturday, which it does not.

When trends or streaks exists, they only do so one game at a time and in this case, the only one that matters is the one on Saturday.

But beyond everything you've said, the most troubling aspect of your repetitive comments is they sound just like what would come out of a Barner, especially how they love to pick the the series stats from the early 1980's.

As CNS would say, this thread is clutter (even though we don't play the games) and none of this really matters just like the game last week doesn't matter or the game last year doesn't matter or the game in 1985 doesn't matter.
you accused me of having auburn interests so i cant resist.

come on man.... dont accuse me of being an auburn fan. for the 10th time in this thread... i picked 1980 as the start of this trend because it is the year after the last time we beat auburn in a ranked AP matchup. no other reason. if i started the ranked matchup trend in 1995 (it would be 0-4) or 2007 (it would be 0-3) the numbers would still look bad. i didnt pick the 80's to make it look worse. offering even a slightly non homer perspective on the auburn rivalry around here is so freaking annoying.

also for the 10th time in this thread... i am explicitly stating that i dont think this stat has anything to do with saturday other than we need to start reversing it.

Last edited:

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Since 1980 Alabama's record when both are ranked is 1-10 .

(thats including the 94 win when auburn couldnt be ranked by the AP but they were ranked by the coaches)
You must have that reversed. Never heard of a team that couldn't be ranked by the AP. OTOH, any team on probation can not be ranked by the coaches.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.