iron bowl rankings stat. please tell me i'm wrong

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Amen that is so true. The barn haven't beat Alabama by more than 10 since 1969. They have even acknowledged that on ITAT and AUFamily.
I believe that is a testament to the psyche of the two programs that has been analyzed ad nauseam here and everywhere else. Auburn is always the underdog, always feels slighted, and always plays with an emotional chip on their shoulders. As such it has allowed them to pick up some really big wins in the series, when it appeared that Alabama as the better team.

But your stat disproves the theory that Alabama never plays this game with emotion, and that it doesn't mean the same to us because we're always looking down our nose at Auburn. Fact is, when Alabama is an underdog we usually play way over our heads and pull of some pretty big upsets. Auburn rarely blows out Alabama, even when they should.

graydogg85

1st Team
Feb 7, 2006
Huntsville, AL
I think cmmiller was attempting to statistically reinforce JessN's post-Iron Bowl recap from a year ago. Not sure that I fully agree with either narrative, but I can see where he was trying to go.

For those of you who don't recall it, JessN basically stated in his wrap-up last season that anytime in recent history in which the two teams are on anywhere close to equal footing, Auburn was consistently the more prepared and motivated team and generally seemed to prevail, and that our coaches need to amp up their preparation for this game.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think cmmiller was attempting to statistically reinforce JessN's post-Iron Bowl recap from a year ago. Not sure that I fully agree with either narrative, but I can see where he was trying to go.

For those of you who don't recall it, JessN basically stated in his wrap-up last season that anytime in recent history in which the two teams are on anywhere close to equal footing, Auburn was consistently the more prepared and motivated team and generally seemed to prevail, and that our coaches need to amp up their preparation for this game.
I remember the JessN article well that you mention. While many of us agreed with Jess shortly after one of the most painful losses in the rivalry's history, I think Jess may have had one of those rare moments when his fandom exceeded his journalism skills. Granted he might still stand behind that article today removed from the heat of that time, but I don't think anybody thinks CNS didn't take Auburn seriously last year and didn't do everything he could do to get the team prepared.

All we had was a threepeat possibility on the line and rarified air in college football history.

It's hard to explain and that was convenient at the time last year, but we got beat on some flukey bad luck last year!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I remember the JessN article well that you mention. While many of us agreed with Jess shortly after one of the most painful losses in the rivalry's history, I think Jess may have had one of those rare moments when his fandom exceeded his journalism skills. Granted he might still stand behind that article today removed from the heat of that time, but I don't think anybody thinks CNS didn't take Auburn seriously last year and didn't do everything he could do to get the team prepared.

All we had was a threepeat possibility on the line and rarified air in college football history.

It's hard to explain and that was convenient at the time last year, but we got beat on some flukey bad luck last year!
All that's true. However, last year's team had some internal problems, leadership, a bit of selfishness and the like. This year's is really much more of a team. I'm counting on that to pull us through...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.