OT Glenn Stout: Series Editor of The Best American Sports Writing; Alabama Football

ThePizzaPalace

Nov 24, 2014
Someone once told me that you have to be willing to put yourself out and ask for what you want. So here I am biting the bullet, preparing to be humiliated. Yesterday, the chief editor of The Best American Sports Writing series Glenn Stout tweeted a story I wrote about 2 All-American, 3 drafted NFL football players from the University of Alabama who saved my life in the F-5 Tuscaloosa Tornado 4/27/11 then took me to the Green Room at the NFL Draft 4/26/12. Dont’a Hightower, De’Quan Menzie and Nico Johnson guys were college roommates helping me do what I can’t do because I live with the inability to write (dysgraphia), to do arithmetic (dyscalculia), to see or feel fingers (finger agnosia) and to tell left from right (left-right disorientation). If it matters, I wrote this story right now because the Iron Bowl is in 4 days, I'm taking my little brother, and because Homecoming was last week. Prominent writers all tell me to go to graduate school for networking so I can one day be a great writer but I’ve been living hotel to hotel in Nashville and sometimes homeless so there is no way I would risk a student loan for a networking opportunity. It really feels great to be recognized for words by a guy like Mr. Stout who chooses the best sports writing year after year. Now all I want is for this story to be shared by someone other than family and friends this Thanksgiving and if you can read and tell me what you think that would be a dream. Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mikea4484cfcf8/2014-homecoming-at-the-university-of-alabama-wldj

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
I was mesmerized reading this. I did not know that some of your conditions even existed. I tell people that if you can face what is within you and not turn away, then you'll always have a chance to have a better day tomorrow. I wish you all the best and encourage you to continue to face what is within you and, instead of turning away, share it with the world. Excellent work.

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
That was great to read. Your attention to detail reminds me of Stephen King. Thank you so much for sharing that with us. I know that it takes a great deal of courage to put yourself out there in public like this. Whatever you do: keep writing!

ThePizzaPalace

Nov 24, 2014
Haha don't think I have too much of anything intelligent to bring to the table about Alabama football, but I'll try. Thanks for the compliment.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.