CFN: Auburn at Alabama

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
It seems to me that Auburn's more recent wins in the series are a product of having taking advantage of "unique circumstances", you know....luck. Give them an inch and they'll steal a mile. So let's not give them a chance for a "Iron Bowl walk off." Take it to them early and often.

I want to hear "Rammer Jammer."

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Having been through more IBs than I care to admit, there is one common thread, win or lose the bounce of a loose ball or tipped pass or just plain luck goes in favor auburn.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Personally, I feel that we most always have at least a fair amount of angst about this game, regardless of the apparent disparity between the teams in those years where we`re objectively superior. I think that that angst is well placed. That`s because this is THE game for Auburn. They will always put every bit of their heart, soul, emotion and energy into this game. To my knowledge, they do not and never have felt or done otherwise. That`s how they hang around and do such things as block two consecutive punts and run them in or return a missed field goal on the last play of the game. This is all my opinion, of course.
TF, if it's not The Game for Alabama, too, we're following the wrong team.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
No use trying to diminish this game. It means a lot for both teams and means everything for this Alabama team's goals for the season. I just want a win and believe it will be played close. Definitely would love a good ol' mudhole stomping by the Tide though.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
TF, if it's not The Game for Alabama, too, we're following the wrong team.
You`ve got a point, Shade, it`s just that it seems that we more often have higher aspirations. I don`t in any way mean to diminish the importance of the game, just that we often play for higher stakes. An 8-4 season with a win over the barn would mean far less to us than an 8-4 with a win over us would for the barn, I believe.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Hopefully, we have four games left to play. Of the four, this one is the least important. In fact, it's only important because if we don't win it, we've only got one game left to play.
Let me get this straight:
Win, and the chance of three more games and a national championship.

Lose and a meaningless bowl trip.

BB, I normally agree with you, but this doesn't make a lick of sense. For the second straight year, our title hopes -- and history -- run right through the gaps in Auburn's only two teeth.

All the rest is a hypothetical.

Last edited:

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
This year is a revenge game. You can't convince me that this game doesn't mean more to Alabama than the barn. Auburn's defense absolutely sucks and there is no reason to believe that they will all the sudden play like the '85 Bears or the '00 Ravens. I will be surprised/disappointed if this isn't a repeat of 2011. Alabama should look like the '89 49ers in Saturday.

Last edited:

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Yeah, I said that. That's my point. The game is far more important because of what it could get us to than because it's Auburn. For Auburn, all that matters is that it's Alabama. That's not how we are built, and it's the reason we all look at the game in a different light than they do.
thanks for the added context. But I think we're kidding ourselves with our pseudo detachment. We laugh at Auburn's obsession with us while we run multiple, simultaneous Auburn-related threads on our board.

I don't get this need to put down Auburn to the extent that we refuse to acknowledge that this is the most important game of the year, regardless of the records. To do so, I guess, would be to acknowledge some kind of parity.

The more honest feelings come out when we lose. It reveals the true relationship.

Last edited:

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
The way things are set up right now, it will be difficult for Alabama to lose to Auburn and win a championship in the same year.

A) If we are undefeated when we play them, the late loss would still drop us several spots with no time to climb back to the top.
B) If Auburn has at least 2 losses coming into the game (which would be necessary for us to lose and still have a chance to be SEC West Champions), then their ranking would be relatively low, making a loss to them apear even "worse" in the committee's eyes.

They have the same problem. There's just no way around it...We have got to beat Auburn every year.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Part of me is so traumatized by the explainable luck that Auburn has had in the past that I can never feel good going into an iron bowl. But part of me feels like if we just play loose and have fun and don't turn the ball over this will be a two to three score win. I will say that this team exhibits none of the overconfidence that seems to be systemic of all Bama iron bowl upset teams and Auburn in past upsets always seemed to have a great DL that discombobulated our offense. Neither of those exist for this game. In fact I don't recall ever going into an Iron bowl where our DL was widely recognized as being better than there's.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
I thought we played loose and free vs A&M and looked unbeatable. Don't think we have looked the same since. Hope that team shows up tomorrow.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.