Lane Kiffin up for the Broyles (Top Assistant)

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
I've said all along he has done a good job of play calling and scheming defenses this year...But at the same time we have had lapses that weren't so pretty. 41+ points Saturday and he has my vote :BigA:
Another note, that list has a bunch of folks I simply don't understand the worthiness of consideration.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I admit that a few times this year I've scratched my head when we have passed on downs like '2nd and 1' or '3rd and 1' etc but for the most part he has done an outstanding job.

I really think he's been handicapped by a mostly absent running game. We absolutely can not run the ball and imho it's the O-Line coaching.

He's done a great job making Blake comfortable and getting the ball to Cooper and Drake (earlier in the year). To be 10-1 and #1 with the type of running game we have? Yeah he should for sure be in the running for the award.

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
Congratulations to Coach Kiffin. It is difficult to have complete success during your first year in any system. Coach Saban has high praise for him, so no argument from me.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

Tidefan1

Scout Team
Aug 21, 2013
I admit that a few times this year I've scratched my head when we have passed on downs like '2nd and 1' or '3rd and 1' etc but for the most part he has done an outstanding job.

I really think he's been handicapped by a mostly absent running game. We absolutely can not run the ball and imho it's the O-Line coaching.

He's done a great job making Blake comfortable and getting the ball to Cooper and Drake (earlier in the year). To be 10-1 and #1 with the type of running game we have? Yeah he should for sure be in the running for the award.
Imho it's the o-line talent. It's just not what it has been in the past

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Wow, but no Kirby Smart? To have built this defense with this personnel is incredibly impressive, imo.
Coaching awards never seem to go to those who are consistently good year after year. Saban won all kinds of coaching awards in 2008 but hasn't really won any major ones since that I can remember. Think about that. Three national championships and not a coach of the year award in any of them.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
The D is littered with 4 and 5 star talent. These awards usually go to guys that do better then expected. Bama is expected to be the best defense every year.
As is the offense, but after last year, the way this defense has played is impressive. There were lots of questions coming into 2014.

Coming into 2014 everyone knew if the QB was good (props to Kiffin) the O would roll.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
As is the offense, but after last year, the way this defense has played is impressive. There were lots of questions coming into 2014.

Coming into 2014 everyone knew if the QB was good (props to Kiffin) the O would roll.
If they had a positional coach award Kiffin should win on a landslide for what he's done with Sims. He went from a total disaster at A Day to a guy I wouldn't trade for anyone in the SEC.

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
If they had a positional coach award Kiffin should win on a landslide for what he's done with Sims. He went from a total disaster at A Day to a guy I wouldn't trade for anyone in the SEC.
That's a perfect example. I kept thinking before the season opener that this was a rebuilding year at QB with expectation of Sims or Coker just maintaining a level of respectability in the division until our younger stud QBs can mature. I am ecstatic that we not only have that respectability, but we have the opportunity to go further than last year. CLK deserves a lot of credit.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
We may not have liked the young arrogant, brash, Lane Kiffin at Tennessee, but he is a top notch Offensive mind. Turns out Lane Kiffin is a major asset to our quarterbacks too.
AND...
Lane Kiffin relates to High school guys, and makes them want to play for him.

As an assistant at Alabama, Lane is on the sideline with our guys, they feed off his enthusiasm.
Like Coach Saban, Lane coaches during the game too.
Lane has kept Blake's head in the game, and helped turn Blake into a surprise sensation.
Coach Saban's system of assistants having little contact with the media has been an asset to Coach Kiffin.

Dare I say that Coach Saban has been a good influence on Lane Kiffin and has maybe helped him grow.
Glad to see Coach Kiffin up for the award. He may just earn it.

Last edited:

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I like how Kirby Smart has found his niche and seems happy being an outstanding DC at a successful program, especially working under the undisputed best head coach in the business. He makes a good living and doesn't have to carry the extra burden of running the entire show. Why throw away a comfortable situation with all kinds of positive gratification to jump into a head coaching spot at a lesser program where it's basically a crapshoot as far as how it will work out...Ask Muschamp about that...

The point of all that is wouldn't it be something if Smart's attitude rubbed off on Kiffin to the point where Kiffin settles down for a nice long run at Bama. I know Kiffin has a big ego and the natural thing is to expect his stop in Bama to be short, but at the same time I've been surprised how well Kiffin seems to have done back in his old OC role.

Earlier in the season, Saban surprised me by saying he had begged former OCs to do this or that, to no avail. I'd like to think Kiffin has been more responsive to Saban's guidance...and the fact that Saban has him on the sidelines during the games makes me think he is.

Never thought I'd say it, but I'm ok with Kiffin as long as he wants to stay. (Or until the offense starts to flounder. :smile:)

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
In my mind, Kiffin earned it after the LSU game. No one else really is close. I like what someone said about keeping your coaches away from the media. That allows Lane to concentrate on what he does best. It takes a good bit of maturity to deal with the media. I do like how CNS deals with them pretty much the way CPB used to deal with them: back them up a bit and make them respect you. Sadly though, the COY awards go to those who give the perception they do the best with the least. Kirby may not get another one because the defense is always solid even if it doesn't start out that way at the beginning of the season. Which if you think about it, proves that Kirby and Saban are the best defensive minds in the country. Year in. Year out. Can't give the award to the same person/people every year. Everyone else seems to get upset about that ;)

Also.. Happy Turkey Day all! Have a blessed and great one!

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I think everyone put up for the Broyles Award are actually put up by the head coach, so Coach Saban would have put Kiffin up from our staff.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.