I believe we'll see ground and pound Saturday

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
I think we are going to line up and pound Auburn's defense into submission. 50+ runs for over 300 yards rushing. And we'll see a lot of play action and deep to Coop.

That is what I think will happen.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
That may be true but Aubie will put a nine man line to stop us and our rushing yards seem to be down this year. I think we will pass a lot as that seem to be their weakness in the stats.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don't see it - Alabama has not played anyone that way this season, and the Vogler injury makes it even less likely, IMO.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
For ground and pound, you need healthy backs. And a healthy Oline. We have neither. Power running really hasn't been our thing the last couple of years.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Their secondary has more holes in it than an old tin roof. We'll pass them into submission and sprinkle in lots of runs too, but we've been a "pass to set up the run" team all year long.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Their secondary has more holes in it than an old tin roof. We'll pass them into submission and sprinkle in lots of runs too, but we've been a "pass to set up the run" team all year long.

That, my friend, is the West Coast offense.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
I wish this was true and would love to see it, but I think we'll try to let Blake carve them up. Bubble screens, roll outs, play action. They will load up to stop the run. We have to make them pay. Can't be dropping any passes.

bamaabw

Suspended
Dec 9, 2013

So did Miss St. and that is all everyone talked about all week prior to game. Bama keyed on running ball against State as opposed to leaning more toward pass. We do the same against booger eaters with a healthy dose of Henry,Yeldon and Jones...heck I bet we see Tenpenny late

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
Having Vogler out hurts our options in the run game, especially the stretch plays and such. I think you'll see a gameplan more similar to the A&M game. Their secondary is very weak and linebackers are just average, below average in coverage. I'm betting we'll see lots of early 3-stop drops, WR screens, etc. Get the ball out of Blake's hands early to neutralize their pass rush and see if their back 7 can handle Coop and company in the open field. Success on first down is always important, but I think critical in this game. We need to stay ahead of the sticks and have run/pass options on as many 3rd downs as possible. I really don't think we are as concerned about eating clock this time around, but should be more focused on just being efficient on offense, getting points on every drive, especially early. Georgia and A&M showed if you jump on them early, they are in trouble.

Of course, I'm usually completely wrong on these kinds of things, so we'll probably run the fullhouse backfield or the wing-T or something....

Last edited:

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I wish this was true and would love to see it, but I think we'll try to let Blake carve them up. Bubble screens, roll outs, play action. They will load up to stop the run. We have to make them pay. Can't be dropping any passes.
My problem with some of our Bubble Screens is we throw to our man 2 yards behind the line, by the time they receive it speedy guys are on em and we get a negative play. Auburn will play 8-9 man fronts to stop the run, and they will cover the 2 yard deep pass like a run. We need to do something that will get a little separation.

Just like sand lot football, we may need to 'JUST GO LONG', or hit a Tight End to loosen em up a little.

I think our secret for success is to get Auburn thinking pass, and a couple of their guys begin cheating and going back a little to help cover the pass. Then our Ground Game will be more successful. Blake may have to carry part of our Offense, and run a little. ALSO...
I want Lane Kiffin to dig deep in his bag of tricks, and catch em flatfooted.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I don't see it - Alabama has not played anyone that way this season, and the Vogler injury makes it even less likely, IMO.
Yep, yep. This Alabama unit is not like those we've seen in the recent past. I don't see Alabama running the ball like that unless Auburn sits back in two-deep all game. Even though we haven't ran excellently, teams still tend to play single high a lot against us because they know we run against favorable looking fronts.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I don't see it. We didn't run it on lsu or ole miss. Both of those teams are very bad against the run but yet we didn't try. I really think it's by design rather than stubbornness against doing so. We really don't have bruiser type backs or a dominating type offensive line that we are accustomed to. I do however think we might have a balanced attack like we did against the cowbells though.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
My problem with some of our Bubble Screens is we throw to our man 2 yards behind the line, by the time they receive it speedy guys are on em and we get a negative play. Auburn will play 8-9 man fronts to stop the run, and they will cover the 2 yard deep pass like a run. We need to do something that will get a little separation.

Just like sand lot football, we may need to 'JUST GO LONG', or hit a Tight End to loosen em up a little.

I think our secret for success is to get Auburn thinking pass, and a couple of their guys begin cheating and going back a little to help cover the pass. Then our Ground Game will be more successful. Blake may have to carry part of our Offense, and run a little. ALSO...
I want Lane Kiffin to dig deep in his bag of tricks, and catch em flatfooted.
I think that dos occur on occasion with the bubble screens, but for the most part they have been successful. White and Jones are both solid blockers on the edge and Cooper is strong enough to break most tackles. We've had quite a few big plays spring out of the WR screens.

I agree that we need to strike a deep a little more often, just to keep them off balance.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I don't see it. We didn't run it on lsu or ole miss. Both of those teams are very bad against the run but yet we didn't try. I really think it's by design rather than stubbornness against doing so. We really don't have bruiser type backs or a dominating type offensive line that we are accustomed to. I do however think we might have a balanced attack like we did against the cowbells though.
Very bad? More like average against the run. Ole Miss played us straight up with man coverage . We had success running the ball until Ryan got hurt. Kind of went away from it after that. LSU Dared us to pass. Blake was off most of the game. The early down missed passes made us have to throw to make up for 2nd , 3rd and long . If Blake made a couple of those throws, the game would of been completely different.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Balance is the key to our offense. I don't think we should focus on the run when we can fry their secondary like bacon.
I wouldn't be surprised to see us open the game with a play action deep ball to Amari.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Some games, our running game seems to be clicking, some games not so much. I hope we are on this Saturday and can run well.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.