Blog: Latest Bama News 11/27/14

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Shakopee Minnesota, via Birmingham Alabama

What each coach would bring to Thanksgiving dinner-sds

In the spirit of Thanksgiving, we imagine a world where all the coaches get together for a nice, pleasant SEC coach feast. I’m sure that it would all be very cordial and fun right up until someone maybe has one too many drinks and pokes fun at someone who is fed up with being poked fun at. Regardless, if they were meeting up for a feast, not one coach would have all that time to make all of the dishes, so here’s what each coach would bring to dinner:

Les Miles: Cranberry Sauce

This just feels right. I don’t really have much of a description here, it just seems like this is a perfect fit. Les probably incorporates the cranberries not only in his main Thanksgiving dish, but also in every sort of leftover dish possible.

Gus Malzahn: Instant mashed potatoes

Auburn speed. That’s a thing, right? Malzahn probably has the ability to cook up something special in a nano-second. Based on this season though, it’s likely that the mash potatoes are missing some sort of special ingredient that he used last season.

Nick Saban: Turkey

When you’re number one, you get to bring the turkey. That doesn’t mean there won’t be any sort of coaching from the sidelines on what else need to be added or what needs to be done differently. Saban probably shoots down any sort of suggestion with a death stare we’ve all come to know.

Steve Spurrier: Beer

I mean, this is a no brainer, right? The HBC no doubt rolls up with a couple cases of Coors. Because, after all, Thanksgiving dinner is pretty much a banquet.

Derek Mason: Salad

Because salad is present, but no one really ever eats it. Vanderbilt is in the SEC, but no one really ever watches it. Hopefully Mason will get things turned around next season and he can get his dish upgraded.

Bret Bielema: Fruitcake

Bielema is one of the characters in the SEC. He is always saying or doing something that is of interest and makes his squad stand out. Also, no one really wants to face the Razorbacks right now, and I’m not sure anyone really wants to eat fruitcake either.

Will Muschamp: Box of wine, chocolate pie

Muschamp was assigned chocolate pie, but also showed up with boxed wine, which when you think about it, is not all that surprising. He has been known to be a bit emotional on the sidelines, and once that Franzia starts flowing Coach Boom could get a little misty eyed. And the pie, because it would undoubtedly be made from bittersweet chocolate. His exit from Florida is exactly that – bittersweet. Good luck, Boom.

Mark Richt: Stuffing

Old fashioned. No one really knows who likes stuffing, but there it is at every dinner. Every year someone says, “you know, let’s go ahead and do away with this for next year’s dinner.” But, there it is, every year, on the table.

Mark Stoops: Sweet potatoes

Mark never got to eat sweet potatoes at the Stoops household because Bob always hogged them. So, since he gets to bring something to a dinner that Big Game Bob won’t be at, it only makes sense that Mark brings it to this table. Also sweet potatoes can kind of be hit or miss, which also makes sense, because after a strong start, Kentucky has faded.

Dan Mullen: Corn souffle

Mullen is really making himself known in Mississippi these days. If you can get it right, corn souffle can be a show stopper. So far, this season, Mississippi State has surprised everyone (well, for the most part). If he keeps it up, Mullen can find himself in charge of the turkey one day.

Hugh Freeze: Biscuits

Biscuits start out hot and delicious, but then they cool down and are just bread. Ole Miss got out to one of the best starts in its history then cooled all the way down, falling to an “also ran” in the SEC West.

Butch Jones: Gravy

This was a little puzzling till Butch started talking about brick by brick again. Then it all made sense. When the gravy gets cold it sort of congeals in to a hard cement-like The gravy is the mortar that holds all of his bricks together. Or something.

Kevin Sumlin: Green bean casserole

Green bean casserole is delicious, if done right. When it’s hot and fresh out of the oven, it’s pretty tasty regardless. But, as the meal wears on and the heat wears off, that is when the true test of green bean casserole is measured. Can it stand the “eat while cool” test. In this case, it doesn’t. Sumiln threw a little flair on top and added those crispy onion straws, but he’ll need to go back to the drawing board next year and try a new recipe.

Gary Pinkel: Pumpkin pie

Gary was a little late to the party, but he finally made it. Pinkel brought pumpkin pie with him, because Missouri’s last two years have been really sweet in the SEC. Back-to-back SEC East division crowns is what Pinkel and the Tigers have on the brain during Thanksgiving dinner. Pinkel’s pie was store-bought, because he’s the only bachelor at the table.

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Shakopee Minnesota, via Birmingham Alabama

Q&A with Alabama’s Austin Shepherd-sds

For most of his career at the University of Alabama one really couldn’t have a discussion about senior offensive lineman Austin Shepherd without mentioning the beard. It was never quite Duck Dynasty, but let’s just say that for a while there it was so bushy that he might have been able to use it as an airbag.
That started to change at the end of last season when the grooming and trimmings started to increase at the urging of his mother.
“I really didn’t want to, but she made me,” he said.
Shepherd took that to another level in August during training camp when it conjunction with Sigma Nu and Zeta Tau Alpha held the “Jocks and Locks” fundraiser during which he and other football players allowed people to cut their hair through an auction.
Proceeds benefitted the Austin Shepherd Foundation, which was launched on Oct. 18, 2012 to support children fighting illnesses.
Shepherd recently talked about that and his final season on the Capstone:

So what can you tell us about your foundation?
“Pretty much it’s the Austin Shepherd foundation. Me and my girlfriend Jenna King, her brother Jon passed away from cancer 10 or so years ago. She wanted me to go visit the hospital with her one day, Children’s of Birmingham. I was kind of nervous about it because I’m really uncomfortable in those situations, seeing kids like that. But we went up there, we kind of played with the kids, drew, painted, all that. I kind of fell in love with it. That night me and Jenna we got in the process of starting one. So we came up with that idea, so now we do the Austin Shepherd foundation. We try to bring a kid and their family to at least every home game. Before the event we raised over $30,000 so far and started the beads of courage program, which is hand-designed beads that people make. Every kid gets one for every overnight stay, every needle they get pricked into their arm. Heart transplant, kidney transplant, something of that nature, they’ll get a bead, and they just get strands and strands of them. The kids will have miles of beads and it’s about their journey so when they look back they can see what they have. That’s the gist of it, short term.”
So how did “Jocks and Locks” come around?
“One of my buddies, we were talking about fundraiser ideas, we talked about, ‘Man these Alabama fans would love to be around y’all. Auction the cut hair and people will show up.’ I think we raised close to $18,000.”
You had someone’s initials and a big heart on the back of your head, and another heart on one side.
“Mine’s not as severe as some of the others. We’re just trying to raise awareness for all this. Mine is a little girl named Charlie Jean. She’s 3 years old and just went into remission for cancer. She wanted a heart with her initials on it and I had to do that.”
How many of the players kept their haircuts through the season opener against West Virginia?
“Two or three. A lot of them were just so absurd that we had to get rid of them.”

Do you remember what your first start was like with the Crimson Tide, and did you offer any of words of wisdom for freshman left tackle Cam Robinson before facing the Mountaineers?
“Yeah, first start was Virginia Tech in the Georgia Dome, obviously the same spot. Pretty much all I told him was don’t let the crowd affect you, and there’s going to be a lot of noise. You kind of just have to X out of everything, just play. Look at your player and don’t think about anything around you or your surroundings.”
Did that first-start experience go by really fast or sort of go in slow motion?
“I mean, I guess the first start for me, it felt really long because we didn’t play as well as we wanted to. So, I mean, it’s different for everybody. For me it was long. We just didn’t play very well. That’s all we kept talking about and thinking about.”
How much does senior quarterback Blake Sims’ ability to tuck the ball and run help the offensive line?
“That’s huge for us. Blake could spin out, do something crazy. It’s good knowing in the back of your head that if you do mess up — hopefully you won’t — that you have a guy back there with the capability to just get out of it.”
Does your preparation change at all during the week when you’re facing a Southeastern Conference opponent?
“Yes and no. You always want to prepare for a game like it’s a Florida or an LSU or something, but going into SEC gets everyone excited. This is kind of what you live for. This is why you came to Alabama, to play teams like this. It’s just more mental prep because you have to watch a lot of film because these guys have multiple things about them.”
What’s the biggest difference for the line when Sims takes a regular snap under center versus going fast and the offense is in no-huddle mode?
“When we go with the fast pace it’s more one or two word things that are just quick and you get up to the line and run the play. When we’re in the huddle, I wouldn’t say it’s a long drawn out call, but it’s seven or eight words instead of one or two.”

So it’s coded when you’re going fast?
“Yeah it’s coded. You say one word and it means eight things.”

Who on the defense is the toughest to block as a pass-rusher?
“There’s a few. Actually, all of them. They all have different moves. A’Shawn Robinson’s a huge dude, who can bull-rush. Jonathan Allen, quick hands. D.J. Pettway, fast off the edge. I could go on forever. They all have something different that you have to be aware of.”
How is wide receiver Amari Cooper different?
“He’s just quiet. He’s silent. I don’t really know how to explain it. You try to talk to him and he’s a one-, two-word kind of guy.”
Is that kind of unusual for a wide receiver?
“You look at Christion Jones, for example. He loves to talk. Amari is the complete opposite. He’s silent and that’s just the way he is.”
He’s also pretty good, too, isn’t he?
“Just an amazing athlete. I wish I could be like that but I’m too big. He just makes people miss all the time. Super fast. He’s an unbelievable player.”
For more information about the Austin Shepherd Foundation contact http://www.austinshepherdfoundation.com. Also, Austin recently asked Jenna to marry him during one of their hospital visits, with some of their favorite patients helping out. She said yes.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.