Uniform thread or why I dislike the current trend of other teams

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I watch a lot of CFB. Due to misfortune, I have a lot of unproductive time. In the past, I would turn on a game and know immediately who was playing, which team had the ball. I now find myself watching a game for 10 minutes or more before realizing which team is which. Especially with the newer helmet logo designs. Watching Duke / UNC a while back, It took about a quarter before I knew which team had the ball. It was a bad production, with bad announcers and the uniform designs were new and silly. This was just one example.

Luckily, Being in the tradition laden SEC , we haven't seen the wholesale changes to uniforms like in other leagues. The Big 12 is horrible. The PAC 12 , except USC has is undecipherable on any given Saturday. The B1G has joined the masquerade party, and some of the ACC. . It is worth noting that the biggest uniform offenders in the SEC are former big 12 schools.

Oregon, for the most part, started this trend. It was their thing. I was Ok with that because they didn't really have traditions and they were trying to make a name for themselves. But they started something I hate.

I am older, white, male. I know this is supposedly for the younger 'hip hop' generation. I get that. And for marketing as new jerseys provide additional revenue . My question is at what cost? companies work hard at building a brand. A recognizeable brand . Why change everything? I understand some teams that are trying to build a brand , and football is a copycat sport. I don't understand teams Like OU, Ohio State, Michigan, UCLA, Nebraska that have a national brand . It also seems that having several various uniform combinations goes hand in hand with teams that run spread offenses. Anyone else notice that?

I hope I never see wholesale changes in Tuscaloosa, we are proud of where we came from. And the accomplishments of the past. Is it wrong to feel that way? Anyone else hate the uniform changes throughout CFB? Wondering what others think and what we think are the ugliest uniforms in the country

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
College football is about tradition! All traditions have to start somewhere, but when you arrive at something that is right like Bama's traditional, classic, recognizable uniforms and helmets you don't mess with perfection!!!

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
L
I watch a lot of CFB. Due to misfortune, I have a lot of unproductive time. In the past, I would turn on a game and know immediately who was playing, which team had the ball. I now find myself watching a game for 10 minutes or more before realizing which team is which. Especially with the newer helmet logo designs. Watching Duke / UNC a while back, It took about a quarter before I knew which team had the ball. It was a bad production, with bad announcers and the uniform designs were new and silly. This was just one example.

Luckily, Being in the tradition laden SEC , we haven't seen the wholesale changes to uniforms like in other leagues. The Big 12 is horrible. The PAC 12 , except USC has is undecipherable on any given Saturday. The B1G has joined the masquerade party, and some of the ACC. . It is worth noting that the biggest uniform offenders in the SEC are former big 12 schools.

Oregon, for the most part, started this trend. It was their thing. I was Ok with that because they didn't really have traditions and they were trying to make a name for themselves. But they started something I hate.

I am older, white, male. I know this is supposedly for the younger 'hip hop' generation. I get that. And for marketing as new jerseys provide additional revenue . My question is at what cost? companies work hard at building a brand. A recognizeable brand . Why change everything? I understand some teams that are trying to build a brand , and football is a copycat sport. I don't understand teams Like OU, Ohio State, Michigan, UCLA, Nebraska that have a national brand . It also seems that having several various uniform combinations goes hand in hand with teams that run spread offenses. Anyone else notice that?

I hope I never see wholesale changes in Tuscaloosa, we are proud of where we came from. And the accomplishments of the past. Is it wrong to feel that way? Anyone else hate the uniform changes throughout CFB? Wondering what others think and what we think are the ugliest uniforms in the country
Well, you should have known you would hit my "hot button" with this thread. To say I agree is an understatement. I think you are spot on with the reasons for some teams going to these clown costumes and a lot of my dislike has to do with my age and the history of college football. I will say that apparently a lot of it is a generational thing, like my father staying on my back about going from a flat top to the then shaggy Beatle look. Those of us who take pride in the Alabama look have a hard time processing this "new wave" look in college football unis.

I think we would all agree that ultimately these programs are seeking attention since, for the most part, their on field play is abysmal. In the final analysis the uniform manufacturing companies are selling sizzle and no steak while lining their corporate coffers with huge $. I just hope that Alabama does not fall victim to this during my lifetime.

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
I like alternate uniforms, but they are way over done. I loved Alabama's Pro Combat uniform from a few years ago and the houndstooth trimmed collar from several years ago.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

The ONLY change that I want to see at Alabama is a "Script A" on the helmet! The "Script A" would be symbolic of the best darn TEAM in the USA! They have numbers on their jersey. They have their names on the back of their jersey. I still see teams that have NO names on the back of jerseys and that's great. It means TEAM is more important than individual team members.

That "Script A" is more beautiful than any other "A" font in the alphabet!

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
However, I will say this. If you see that number on the helmet, you will know if the helmet is Crimson, that you are watching Alabama. If the number is BLUE then it's Georgia Southern. I can't recall seeing any other team except high schools with numbers on their helmets.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
When I tune in a ballgame on tv, I have a "guide" or menu feature that tells me who is playing if I don't recognize the uniforms.

I greatly prefer our simple uniforms and hope we stick with them. However, if the other team wants to war loud or odd uniforms (some uniforms make the players look like optical illusions) it doesn't bug me that much. If they like looking silly...well ok.

The way these hurry-up offenses have been jerking the refs around has been something I really hate seeing creep into football, but I don't get that upset about the uniforms.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I am torn because some schools' uniforms are simply too awesome to mess with - like Alabama, Penn State and (gag) Michigan. But I have to admit that I really liked one of my Buckeye's alternate uniforms this year. The one that we tried in the Nebraska game a few years ago was a disaster:

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Act like you've been there. It's obvious that a lot of these teams haven't.

UGA -- who supposedly pride themselves on tradition (whatever) -- tried this in recent seasons. IMO it made them look foolish. Mississippi St did this just a tad (the Hail State uni's from a couple of years ago come to mind) and yeah the former Big12 schools did this too. Personally, I guess I'm ok with it as I have no control over it. But, I have to admit, it is good to watch teams coming out of the tunnel wearing their traditional uni's: Bama, LSU (and Tiger Stadium with the lines on the 5's), USC even, Texas, Penn State, Michigan and Ohio State. Something about that makes me nostalgic I guess. If I was born much later than when I was, I'd probably like the new stuff more. But... I guess it's an age thing really.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
I am torn because some schools' uniforms are simply too awesome to mess with - like Alabama, Penn State and (gag) Michigan. But I have to admit that I really liked one of my Buckeye's alternate uniforms this year. The one that we tried in the Nebraska game a few years ago was a disaster:

Ugh and after I mention Ohio State as a traditional school in my last post, I see this :mad:

This looks terrible. Sorry B1GTide, you have my sympathies. :conf2:

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Act like you've been there. It's obvious that a lot of these teams haven't.

UGA -- who supposedly pride themselves on tradition (whatever) -- tried this in recent seasons. IMO it made them look foolish. Mississippi St did this just a tad (the Hail State uni's from a couple of years ago come to mind) and yeah the former Big12 schools did this too. Personally, I guess I'm ok with it as I have no control over it. But, I have to admit, it is good to watch teams coming out of the tunnel wearing their traditional uni's: Bama, LSU (and Tiger Stadium with the lines on the 5's), USC even, Texas, Penn State, Michigan and Ohio State. Something about that makes me nostalgic I guess. If I was born much later than when I was, I'd probably like the new stuff more. But... I guess it's an age thing really.
Where in the world did they come up with that Hail State logo?

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

With all due respect B1G, those uniforms are, shall I say, less than classy.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
The new uniform trend of some teams changing my coming out with new uniforms every week is annoying to me as well. Mainly because the teams/media try to use the new uniforms to hype up the game. It has never taken me a quarter to figure which team is which though..

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I'm sure all of this is driven by Nike,Addidas and Under Armor. They are in the marketing business to sell their merchandise. I would be willing to bet that Nike has been trying to get the Tide to change up for years.
I'm an old school traditionalist so I hope they never change. If other schools want to change, it doesn't really bother me as long as we don't.
These chrome looking helmets are horrible to me. I watched a game between Texas Tech and Okie State and I could not make out the designs on the helmets.

B

BroadwayJoe777

Great post bamaga and whose uniforms look greater than these on a college football Saturday?
No ones. ROLL TIDE!

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

Reading that reminds me somewhat of what is happening to bowl games also. Too many bowls today seem to be only known by the sponsors name. Sponsors names are OK but keep the traditional name also.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I'm good with us never changing our uni's & I'm good if the Players wants to play in an alternate uni & our coaches says it's good with them..Our players are the ones that's putting their body in harms way, when they put whatever uniform they put on each game, when the go to war representing The University Of Alabama each game..And should the team as a whole wants to wear an alternate uni for one game a year..I'm good with that as well..I think it should be left up to the players & if they want to wear an alternate uni with the go ahead from our coaches..I will root just as loud & proud no matter what uniform they wear..The one thing in my lifetime I want to see happen, is for us to wear our white helmets in one game, like it or not, the white helmet has a place in our history, and I want to see us break them out just once in my lifetime..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.