LSU vs. Texas A&M

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Sorry but IMO if you think thats was a dangerous, malicious or injury prone hit you may need to get your prescription checked. That was terrible call go back and watch in Slow Motion. Their helmets did not hit until the WR neck popped back forward. He hit the defender. The db did NOT "target" him. Dumb call. There was zero targeting there.
Here is the rule: "No player shall target and initiate contact to the head or neckarea of a defenseless opponent with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow orshoulder. " By rule, the helmets do not need to contact for it to be targeting.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Sorry but IMO if you think thats was a dangerous, malicious or injury prone hit you may need to get your prescription checked. That was terrible call go back and watch in Slow Motion. Their helmets did not hit until the WR neck popped back forward. He hit the defender. The db did NOT "target" him. Dumb call. There was zero targeting there.
Targeting can be called simply by leading with the crown (Rule 9-1-3):
Targeting and Initiating Contact With the Crown of the Helmet (Rule 9-1-3)

No player shall target and initiate contact against an opponent with the crown (top) of his helmet. When in question, it is a foul.

Targeting and Initiating Contact to Head or Neck Area of a Defenseless Player (Rule 9-1-4)

No player shall target and initiate contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent with the helmet, forearm, fist, elbow or shoulder. When in question, it is a foul. (Rule 2-27-14)

Note: Beginning in 2013, ejection from the game is a part of the penalty for violation of both Rule 9-1-3 and Rule 9-1-4.
A vast majority of neck injuries happen due to leading with the crown. It's poor technique and it's dangerous.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Finally home after a long day....in my pjs and relaxing. What a way to end a great day with the second half of this game.

I hope A&M puts up more of a fight.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
If that was a targeting so was LSU RB hitting and running over the DB. It was much worse hit to the head with crown of his own head. Call it on both sides if its a rule and its all about safety.
Why? Fournette's helmet didn't even touch the defender (9-1-3) and it wasn't a defenseless player (9-1-4).

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
LSU mixing up which TAMU DL they school with the zone read.

It would have been bullying to keep on cranking Garrett.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Targeting can be called simply by leading with the crown (Rule 9-1-3):

A vast majority of neck injuries happen due to leading with the crown. It's poor technique and it's dangerous.
Notes to Article 3 and Article 4 indicate the following:

"Some indicators of targeting include but are not limited to...Leading with helmet, forearm, fist, hand or elbow to attack with contact at the head or neck area "

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Here is the rule: "No player shall target and initiate contact to the head or neckarea of a defenseless opponent with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow orshoulder. " By rule, the helmets do not need to contact for it to be targeting.
If a defensive player keeps his head up but his face mask hits another player in the helmet is it still targeting? If assume it would be. So really, what can a defensive player do other than aim for his knees? Oh wait....

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
They've been debating Garrett vs Clowney all night.

Clowney has got him beat talent wise, but Garrett works way harder than Clowney EVER did (plus he's talented). So give me Miles Garret.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Let me get this one right Auburn beat LSU... Texas A and M Beat Auburn... Alabama needed Over time against LSU, Alabama beat Texas A and M in a shutout game... and now Texas A and M is whupping Texas A and M left and right... LSU had some issues early in the eason... That just tell me Auburn will have hard time on Saturday with our offense.
About as crazy as how badly the barn beat lsu.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Let me get this one right Auburn beat LSU... Texas A and M Beat Auburn... Alabama needed Over time against LSU, Alabama beat Texas A and M in a shutout game... and now Texas A and M is whupping Texas A and M left and right... LSU had some issues early in the eason... That just tell me Auburn will have hard time on Saturday with our offense.
There is no transitive property in the SEC this year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.