LSU vs. Texas A&M

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I thought the targeting call was a good one because it looked like the safety could see the WR did not catch the ball and could have pulled up..

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Ducking your head to make a tackle is idiotic and dangerous. Not only can it cause to to injure someone, but to injure yourself (i.e. Reuben Foster). I know a lot of us were taught to "lower your head" and hit someone, but it is wrong.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
It think that's what he was trying to do, but the problem is how can a defensive player know where the offesive player's head is going to be when he's in the air and coming down to the ground?
By rule, it was definitely targeting, but what you've pointed out is a flaw in the rule in my opinion.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
It think that's what he was trying to do, but the problem is how can a defensive player know where the offesive player's head is going to be when he in the air and coming down to the ground?
I don't think the player was trying to hit the receiver in the head, but the point is if you lower your head, you will be leading with the crown of the helmet, which is unsafe for both players. If more modern players actually tackled with proper technique this rule would be largely unnecessary, but alas, here we are.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Yeah, but he clearly turned his shoulder to lead with it. If anything, that should be rewarded. The helmet contact was completely incidental, and no one would have been injured by that hit.
I'm not so sure on rewarding someone for almost doing the right thing, yet still breaking the rules. "He TRIED to not jump offsides, let's wave off the flag..."

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
They need to have a 'incidental' vs 'flagrant' targeting call like facemasks use to be.

Flag 15 yrds only for the incidental but tack the ejection only for the malicious flagrant variety.

I hate the call as it is now.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Yeah, but the only purpose of that rule is to prevent injury. It has nothing to do with the competitive side of the game, like offsides or other calls. Given that, yes, we absolutely should be rewarding behavior that does not result in injuries.
We can agree to disagree, because whether he wanted to or not the hit could have injured the WR with the way he hit him.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
If that was a targeting so was LSU RB hitting and running over the DB. It was much worse hit to the head with crown of his own head. Call it on both sides if its a rule and its all about safety.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'm not so sure on rewarding someone for almost doing the right thing, yet still breaking the rules. "He TRIED to not jump offsides, let's wave off the flag..."
Not at all the same. You are either off sides or not, but this crazy targeting violation is so subjective.

In this case, he didn't lower his head to hit him in the head but to avoid it. Some defensive back is going to break his neck trying to pull up and aim lower by ducking his head or shoulder to avoid the wideout from, probably at worst, getting a mild concussion.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
We can agree to disagree, because whether he wanted to or not the hit could have injured the WR with the way he hit him.

Sorry but IMO if you think thats was a dangerous, malicious or injury prone hit you may need to get your prescription checked. That was terrible call go back and watch in Slow Motion. Their helmets did not hit until the WR neck popped back forward. He hit the defender. The db did NOT "target" him. Dumb call. There was zero targeting there.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Sorry but IMO if you think thats was a dangerous, malicious or injury prone hit you may need to get your prescription checked. That was terrible call go back and watch in Slow Motion. Their helmets did not hit until the WR neck popped back forward. He hit the defender. The db did NOT "target" him. Dumb call. There was zero targeting there.

I have better than 20/20 vision, I think I know what I saw... Thanks for explaining though. :)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.