Sumlin fires DC Snyder at Texas A&M

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Re: Sumlin fires DC at Texas A&M

For the season, the Aggies rank 103rd nationally in yards allowed per game (449) and 111th in rushing defense (223.5 yards allowed per game). They yielded a season-high 384 rushing yards to LSU on Thursday.
Wow. I was hoping they might give this guy a few more years to get this thing figured out.
Like a decade or two.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

Muschamp's going to have the smoothest landing of any fired HC in history. There's going to be a flat-out bidding war for him (not that $$ matters, assuming his buyout from Florida contains an offset for other salaries during the course of the payments from Florida).

We know aTm is one. The Barn is likely, as is USCe...possible inside track on HC there when Spurrier hangs it up. If not for his history there, UTw might be a possibility. And none of that includes DC positions that open up as the result of incumbents getting HC jobs.

If Smart takes a HC spot, I could see him in Tuscaloosa. He and Saban do have a good history together.

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

I still love the guy (Champ) and wish he could have stayed at UF.

And now I think he will end up at another SEC school and we'll have to face his defense! :(

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

the HUNH claims another

why any DC would work on these teams is a mystery to me

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN

If I'm Muschamp, I wouldn't jump at aTm yet. It might not be the best situation for him.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

Multiplied by 1,000, I assume?
Yes. $700k.
Jon's point is a good one, however.
If I was an up and coming DC looking to make a name for myself, College Station would not be my preferred place to do that.
College Station, right now, is where DC's reputations go to die.
Sad, given the tradition of the Wrecking Crew, etc. They used to know how to play defense at aTm.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Jon's point is a good one, however.
If I was an up and coming DC looking to make a name for myself, College Station would not be my preferred place to do that.
College Station, right now, is where DC's reputations go to die.
I'll take it one further - HUNH teams are where DC's reputations go to die...

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

I'll take it one further - HUNH teams are where DC's reputations go to die...
I think that becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. As attractive as a HUNH team is to offensive skill players, I think it is a turnoff for defensive players and high-quality DCs.
Who wants his resume going into the NFL draft to read like this: "Held opposing teams to under 700 yards of offensive per game most weeks."

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama

Muschamp's going to have the smoothest landing of any fired HC in history. There's going to be a flat-out bidding war for him (not that $$ matters, assuming his buyout from Florida contains an offset for other salaries during the course of the payments from Florida).
Muschamp will get paid his full buyout. There's no offset if he finds another job.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002

I think that becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. As attractive as a HUNH team is to offensive skill players, I think it is a turnoff for defensive players and high-quality DCs.
Who wants his resume going into the NFL draft to read like this: "Held opposing teams to under 700 yards of offensive per game most weeks."
Looks like if you practice against it, you would be better defending it!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.