Question: Auburn to the east...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
This is probably the best time to revive this old question, but would the conference (not to mention the state) be better off if Auburn were switched to the east and MO to the west, leaving our only "rivalry" game being UT in the east? Or, possibly following the lead of basketball and eliminate divisions, play a round robin schedule and let the two best teams meet in the championship game?

pyro

Suspended
Nov 9, 2004
Winchester TN
As long as we still play the Iron Bowl I couldn't care less where or what Auburn does.

But another option would be to do a North and South devsion. If it were up to me Texas A@M or Missouri would have never got in the SEC.

An easy arrangement would be to and Missouri to the west, and add another team to the east, maybe GT or Clemson.

hollisx4

1st Team
Aug 29, 2005
Columbiana, AL.
I think it would make a lot of sense to move Auburn to the East and move Mizzou over to the West.

I for one wouldn't care that we didn't play Auburn every year, IMO the rivalry has gotten too dang hateful anyway.

I'm not sure you could do a round robin with the east and west though, that would be a heck of a lot of games to play and I think we play too many as it is now.

I think it would make a lot of sense to move Auburn to the East and move Mizzou over to the West.

I for one wouldn't care that we didn't play Auburn every year, IMO the rivalry has gotten too dang hateful anyway.

I'm not sure you could do a round robin with the east and west though, that would be a heck of a lot of games to play and I think we play too many as it is now.
Like it wasn't hateful before. The Iron Bowl is needed for the sport. AU needs to go east though, because the East is tired of a "western" team winning their division.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The simplest answer to this question is that I believe Auburn and Missouri switching places would unquestionably be better for the conference overall. I also think it would be better for Alabama if they dropped the annual game, and it could be better for Auburn as well.

The reason this won't happen is also part of why it might not be a good idea for the two teams to play every year, there's too much emotion wrapped up in the game. It's become spiteful, and the lengths people to go have become unhealthy. A good rivalry is one of mutual respect, not hatred. The sad part is it could get worse, but in either case people have an emotional attachment to the rivalry that defies logic. They want that game, no matter what. They want to cheer against Auburn no matter what. I once denounced a lot of Auburn fans for cheering against Alabama rather than for Auburn, but I've seen the same behavior from a lot of Alabama fans. They cheer against Auburn even if it's in Alabama's best interests for them to win. They want the Iron Bowl to be played, even if it's not good for Alabama. They're so caught up in the spectacle that they can't seem to see beyond it. But, when we have fans making death threats after this game? It's just not good...

In terms of the conference, the East and West became unbalanced prior to the addition of Texas A&M. The problem was it was set up for the East to be top heavy, but if the teams at the top are not elite (Florida, Georgia and Tennessee), the teams at the bottom (Vanderbilt and Kentucky) are incapable of picking up the slack. This became magnified when Missouri and Texas A&M joined. Missouri has in some ways become the symbol of the East's mediocrity, while the fact that the bottom team in the West nearly knocked off the top team in the East really says something. Does anyone here really think Alabama vs. Vanderbilt would look anything at all like the Arkansas vs. Missouri game? It would have been a bloodbath. This imbalance is unlikely to change anytime soon, as Texas A&M opens up a lot of recruiting territory to teams in the West. If this issue isn't addressed, the danger is the SEC West continually beats themselves up while the East produces poor representatives for the conference (Missouri after all did lose to Indiana). I don't see any other ways to fix this problem and make any sort of sense geographically. Otherwise what do you do, swap Vanderbilt for Arkansas? In either case, the SEC simply doesn't need this game, as the fact that it's been played on ESPN a lot lately attests to.

Alabama stands to gain from freeing themselves of the Auburn game, in part because it's generally a bad situation for Alabama. Someone pointed out that Alabama hasn't beaten a ranked Auburn team in a long time. There's a good reason for this though, this is the last game of the regular season. This is a game that's hyped up a fair bit, it's never the type of game a team overlooks. Unfortunately though, since it is the last game of the regular season, the loss also really, really hurts. The teams have been fortunate that it hasn't caused more chaos, but for instance this year we're faced with a scenario in which this game can do no good at all. All it can do is knock Alabama out of the playoff and the SECCG. Alabama stands to gain nothing from this game, much in the same way they stand to gain nothing from this rivalry. They don't need Auburn for anything.

Auburn on the other hand has become married to this game. They need it to make them relevant. Their recruiting often benefits from getting players Alabama can't offer scholarships to, they provide an alternative in-state to people that are tired of all the Alabama hype. They do well as an alternative. However, the other side of that equation is they have perpetually doomed themselves to being the lesser program. By actively participating in this sort of relationship, they are accepting their status as a lesser program. So, if they ever really did want to see if they can really establish something on their own, going to the East and leaving behind the rivalry game is the best way for them to do that. Their schedule would become easier, geographically it would make more sense, but I think Alabama means way too much to them.

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Well said KrAzY. Auburn is married to the IB because IT is their season every year. As I watched the Arkansas vs Mizzou game yesterday I thought how ridiculous it was that Mizzou was in the SEC East. I agree with Earle, no divisions, round robin schedule with top 2 teams going to Atlanta.

BamaFossil

All-American
Jun 3, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
Auburn to the East; Mizzou to the West. Makes too much sense for it to ever happen.

Playing Auburn every year helps Auburn; not Bama.

Keep the divisions; top team from each division plays in the SECCG.

Having no divisions and requiring the top two teams to play the SECCG would be applauded by SEC-haters since that setup would ensure that only one SEC team makes the 4-team playoffs... and would lessen the chance that even one team makes it.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
I like the round robin idea. It lets the top two teams play for the SEC championship. No more 9-4 USCe teams or 10-2 UGA (2011) & Mizzou (2014) teams playing for it when you potentially have two 11-1 SECw teams. Some years it has worked out fine (2008, 2009, 2012) but it doesn't guarantee the top two conference teams play in ATL.

tmv85

All-SEC
Over the last few years, I've been of the opinion that moving auburn to the East would be a good thing because of the rancor between fans. As bad as it is now, and with their main goal being to destroy our hopes of playing in the SECCG and being in the NC discussion every year, would it be even worse if we were to meet in the SECCG? Even though that might not happen with any regularity, I could see the lead up to that game getting really ugly.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
From a purely financial standpoint auburn to the East makes sense for both the school, fans and opponents. It should be a lot cheaper and require less travel time going to Gainesville, Lexington and Columbia as opposed to College Station, Fayeteville and Baton Rouge. But in the final analysis, SEC football is not about saving money or costs cutting, so who cares.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Switch 'em and keep divisions.
Go to 9 game conference schedule. Too many cupcakes as it is IMO.
Keep the Iron Bowl but play it earlier in the season.

The hatred between the fan bases is at times WAY too intense but the extremists involved will just find another target to execute their revenge.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Well said KrAzY. Auburn is married to the IB because IT is their season every year. As I watched the Arkansas vs Mizzou game yesterday I thought how ridiculous it was that Mizzou was in the SEC East. I agree with Earle, no divisions, round robin schedule with top 2 teams going to Atlanta.
judging from the number of posts about the barn throughout the year, plus the full-bore melt-downs when we do lose to them, i'd say a big chunk of our fan base is married to the IB

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
In the new SEC, Auburn should be in the East. Alabama would lose either TN or Auburn as their "traditional rival", but it makes sense.

KentuckianaBFan

All-SEC
Jan 26, 2011
Lakeland, FL, 2018
echoaffiliate.com
I think it would make a lot of sense to move Auburn to the ACC and move Mizzou over to the West.

FIFY

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I want AU and Mizzou to swap places, and I still want a 9 game SEC schedule.

I think this would be the best move financially for all parties involved. The chances of an all Alabama SEC title game (which was the attempt by the ACC splitting FSU and Miami) should have those in power salivating at the revenue the SECCG would bring in. Plus, it would cool the jets on a rivalry that is largely getting out of hand. Every year, especially as the stakes have gotten higher and higher, there is more and more hatred.

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN
I am surprised anyone would think it feasible to NOT play Auburn annually. If they went to the East, we would either have to drop that annual game or the Tennessee annual game. Whichever one becomes non-annual would be played once every 7 years! Doesn't seem even remotely feasible to me.

I think we should eliminate dvisions, if for no other reason than this; playing only 2 of the 7 teams in the other division, and playing 6 of the 7 only once every 7 years should not be considered acceptable to anyone. I don't see that as a workable long-term model and I anticpate that there will be some sort of change soon. I think the only reason we didn't make a change this season was so we could wait and see what happens nationwide with conferernce alignment and then make a more informed decision.

If we stay at 14 teams and eliminate divisions, there is an easy 8-game scheduling model which will result in playing all 13 possible SEC opponents every 3 years. It goes like this...

Of your 13 possible opponents...
...4 are permanent annual
...6 are every other year rotating
...3 are every 3rd year rotating

For us I could see our 4 permanent teams being Auburn, Tennessee, LSU, and Mississippi State. Both rivalry and geography play a role. Then our group of 6 would need to be Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Ole Miss, Arkansas, and Texas A&M. We want it set up where the teams that are traditionally the best all play each other as ofter as possible. Then that leaves Vandy, Kentucky, and Missouri for our group of 3.

The conference championship participants would be the two highest ranked teams in the Selection Committee Poll. I thought we could have done that this season and, once again, been the gound-breaking trend-setters. I know some will say that could hurt our chances of getting 2 teams in. I would argue that while that could possibly be the case once in a while, actually year-over-year, this scenario would position us more favorably considerably more often. It would probably make more money for the conference in those seasons where the top two teams are in the same division.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

jaakRTR

3rd Team
Nov 21, 2010
Lexington Alabama
I have thought since the conference expanded to 14 teams it would make more sense to put AU in the East and Mizz in the West. I wouldn't care to loose the IB every year. I think the chance for a Bama/AU SECCG is awesome, It would be bigger than any Iron Bowl. Sure, we wouldn't play each other every year, but when we did it would be HUGE!

Jason

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
This move should have happened when aTm and Missouri joined the SEC. However, I do not think that anyone (SEC, CBS/ESPN, state of Alabama, etc) would ever give up the Iron Bowl because of the money involved. Move AU to the east, Missouri to the west, and make AU our permanent rival. Honestly the UT game has not been a big deal in many years and I don't see that changing any time soon. UT has sunk to such a low level I don't see them being competitive within the next 10 years. They've got at least 2 more years with Butch Jones and then they need to hit a home run and given their recent track record I don' think that is going to happen. If I'm not mistaken their athletic department is deep financial trouble so their options are limited if that is true.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
If we stay at 14 teams and eliminate divisions, there is an easy 8-game scheduling model which will result in playing all 13 possible SEC opponents every 3 years. It goes like this...

Of your 13 possible opponents...
...4 are permanent annual
...6 are every other year rotating
...3 are every 3rd year rotating

Thoughts?
It sure sounds better than playing a cross-divisional team only once every 7 years.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Auburn would never be able to sell tickets without having the Iron bowl every year. Would the boogs dominate the the East? I think it would be beneficial to take a break from the bitter rivalry. The fans are simply getting out of hand. Maybe the boogs would eventually learn that the other games on the schedule mean something as well. Beating Alabama would not be the end all be all for their season.

On the other hand the media falls all over themselves about the Iron Bowl. I personally would love to see it at a neutral site with the fans split 50/50. It would be good for both teams.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.