Link: Georgetown student "understands" why he was mugged

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
http://www.thehoya.com/i-was-mugged-and-i-understand-why/

It was so clear to me that we live in the most privileged neighborhood within a city that has historically been, and continues to be, harshly unequal.

---

Not once did I consider our attackers to be “bad people.” I trust that they weren’t trying to hurt me.

---

I had never before seen a gun, let alone known where to get one.

---

Who am I to stand from my perch of privilege, surrounded by million-dollar homes and paying for a $60,000 education, to condemn these young men as “thugs?”

---

When we play along with a system that fuels this kind of desperation, we can’t be surprised when we’re touched by it.

---

We have a lot, and plenty of opportunities to make even more. They have very little, and few opportunities to make ends meet.
Sad. But, what scares me is the writer is in Georgetown's School of Foreign Service. It's idiots like him that could be making decisions and policies for the U.S. in the future.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Until we do so, we should get comfortable with sporadic muggings and break-ins. I can hardly blame them. The cards are all in our hands, and we’re not playing them.
Does this clown leave his doors unlocked and place a sign in the window reading "come and get it", or does he lock his doors because deep down he knows it's his property and people should not steal it.

crimson fan man

Hall of Fame
Aug 12, 2002
Athens Al
If he becomes a politician then he will feel like taking our money and giving to others but you better not touch his money. His views will change fast.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
If he becomes a politician then he will feel like taking our money and giving to others but you better not touch his money. His views will change fast.
Don't worry. He won't use his money. He'll make deals with his friends in the Federal Reserve and at the various investment houses and banks to take care of "his" money. We'll probably bail out some of those investment houses and banks while "borrowing" money from the Federal Reserve. He'll vote for it, if not sponsor the legislation that initiates it. All the while he'll invest his money with said banks and investment houses. It's an ugly cycle and we're just pons in the game.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Somewhere, a potential mugger has now become a future mugger with a specific victim. Seriously, how could someone NOT target him now?
I literally thought this was from the Onion. That's nice of him to feel that way but it is incredibly dangerous, stupid, and naive. He can understand why he was mugged, but it would be cool if he also understood (A) criminal behavior, and (B) underprivileged people should still be expected to obey the law and treat others with respect.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
I hope he keeps getting robbed.

If he feels like the system is creating criminals, I'd really be curious to see how he lives once out of school. If he isn't donating "his" money to at risk youth programs, he is another blowhard where "beliefs" don't match actions.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.