People complaining the SEC no longer being a defensive powerhouse

Rolltidegirl205

All-SEC
Sep 20, 2014
I was on social media celebrating the win with a lot of my other associates. And I saw quite a few comments from fans of other SEC teams complaining about the lack of defense in the current SEC. Like they kept mentioning how they took pride in how powerful our defenses were. Also how the ACC beat the SEC and are becoming better if not the best over the SEC.

I don't think the league is changing, I just think they're adjusting to the shift in college football in general. At one point people did say SEC teams couldn't hang with the high power offenses in other conferences, I think UGA, KY, UF, etc did a pretty good job the other day proving that wrong. So other may assume the league is changing from a defensive conference into Oregon like conference, but I see it differently. I just think the SEC is adjusting.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
UGA is the sixth or seventh best SEC team....
UF is ninth or tenth or worse
UK is the thirteenth best
USCe may be 12th....

Not great examples of the SECs demise. Just SEC Haters looking for some honey

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I agree with them, but I don't think it is because the SEC isn't interested in good defense any more. The rules give many advantages to the offense, and coaches have exploited those rules to the point of being laughable. It is making the game a joke, in my opinion. Our game last night was very hard to watch, but that score from the Marshall game actually made me laugh. We no longer have football as I think football was meant to be, which is very sad. Unfortunately, it is probably going to get worse.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Nobody shuts down AU's offense. FSU certainly didn't in the NCG last year. It's a different era of football. Without that garbage touchdown we hold them to 34. That's pretty good IMO - taking into consideration how poorly our offense played, or at least controlled TOP the first half, and the short fields AU got..

Last edited:

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Coach Saban mentioned in his post-game interview with Eli last night that it is tough to defend these offenses even without the recent rule changes. He was very direct in stating that there either needs to be rule changes, or better enforcement of the current rules both ways. Some of the long bombs Auburn threw last night could be naught if the old PI penalty was in place, as an example. The SEC is evolving, but it isn't giving up on defense. Alabama shut out the A&M offense earlier this year, and held the MSU offense pretty good as well. One trend to keep looking for is how Auburn handles facing competent defenses. They've had trouble against FSU's, Alabama's, LSU (last year), and MSU's defenses in the last two years. Is Auburn going to be happy with winning 8-10 games but not winning the most important ones?

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
They used to complain that the SEC was a dinosaur, behind the times, etc., etc., ad nauseum.

Now they complain there is no D.

The real story is, they know the SEC (particularly the West) is the best, they can't match up, and they're throwing rocks trying to make themselves feel better about their own teams.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I wouldn't worry about what others say. Just keep winning and keep filling up those trophy cases.

TydDFens

1st Team
Feb 5, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Nobody shuts down AU's offense. FSU certainly didn't in the NCG last year. It's a different era of football. Without that garbage touchdown we hold them to 34. That's pretty good IMO - taking into consideration how poorly our offense played, or at least controlled TOP the first half, and the short fields AU got..
Plus we gave the 17 points off of the interceptions.

GulfCoastTider

Hall of Fame
I am uncomfortable playing basketball on grass with teams that are built for playing basketball on grass.

The final two games of last season we attempted just that, and went 0-2.

There's an old saying that when a tiger and a bear do battle, the winner is usually determined by the terrain upon which the battle is fought.

Last night, the bear went into the swamp and skint that kitty. But I don't want to see us try that too many more times.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
There's an old saying that when a tiger and a bear do battle, the winner is usually determined by the terrain upon which the battle is fought.

Last night, the bear went into the swamp and skint that kitty. But I don't want to see us try that too many more times.
"Sometimes, you eat the bear, and sometimes...................the bear eats you."

(Hope Nolan is still awake.)

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
It was a bad day for the SEC in the OOC rivalries but we knew the East was really down this year. As far as defense being down, well that is just a reality of this new football paradigm. I don't see dominating defense anywhere this year. TCU is the Big-12's defensive stalwart and they've had games like our Iron Bowl. MSU had that Kentucky game. Ole Miss got dominated by Arkansas.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Combined record of the SEC east teams that got beat yesterday : 26-21. If you want to take out the best record it falls to 17-18. Take out the worst record and it is 21-14.

The combined record of the ACC teams? 40-8. Take the top record out and it falls to 28-8. Take out the worst record? 31-5. Also of note is that two of the ACC teams were their division champions and will be playing for the ACC title. The same can not be said of the four SEC opponents.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Don't tell that to Arkansas, 35 total point scored against them in the last four SEC games.
True but let's face it college football has evolved over the last 10 years. The HUNH has really taken over....however you still gotta run and play great defense to be like Alabama.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
I know, I'm not comfortable having to score 55 point to win a game. I like the days when 10 was more then enough.
True but is nice knowing we have the ability to do it. I can remember when a deficit looked hopeless with our style of qb and offensive play.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.