Difficulties with the AU Offense

BamaBuff24

1st Team
May 2, 2000
FWB, FL USA
First of all, you can't just say, Well if you take away their big plays then we shut them down. That is true for any team in any game. Those big plays are normally set up with a lot of game planning leading up to the game and then using other plays to set up the big plays during the game. Can't just throw those out.

Second, and more importantly, I still think we are in the midst of changing (I hope) defensive philosophies, somewhat. On all the big pass plays NM just dropped straight back, sat in his "spot" and launched rockets down the field with no pressure at all. When we got a push up front (mainly with the second half adjustments of Evans and Williams) NM was not able to stand back there like a statue and launch the ball downfield. Back to my original point, it doesn't look like we have changed defensive pressure philosophy as much as I thought we had. It looks like our defensive scheme is to just keep the defensive lineman in their rush lanes and push the pocket - not necessarily pressure the QB. I think we will continue have problems until we put in our true pass rush guys (Evans, Williams, Hand etc) to not only put more pressure on the QB with the front 4 but also to keep contain on the edge plays. Lake and Ivory were in quite a bit last night, and nothing against those guys, but IMO they don't have any business playing a lot of snaps against HUNH teams. Most plays they would just stand up and lean on the offensive lineman - no push at all. Lake and Ivory are very good against teams like Arkansas and LSU - pro style teams, not the fastball teams.

Last point, Gus is a really good offensive coach. AU has had great talent on that side of the ball pretty consistently since 2010. With NM, Coates, CAP, and Duke, it doesn't really matter what offense you are running. It's more about the personnel than the scheme they are running. When Chris Todd was the starter at AU they were horrible..

Good Points and let me add one more thing CNS and CKS like to put their corners playing one on one on the receivers. Auburn receivers were too good for that. I have seen this happen with certain teams with good receivers in the past.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It's hard to run 40yd deep streaks from the red zone. That is their bread and butter. Shear speed and hail mary like passing.
Marshall has been wildly inconsistent in his passing accuracy, but his best ball is a deep one and last night he threw several perfectly placed deep balls to his speedsters. Give them credit, but if he's slightly off and he misses on a couple of those long throws its a totally different first half.

But when we got 'em on the goal line (or they got us deep in our territory) they couldn't stretch the field vertically and it allowed us to covered their desire to spread us out horizontally and we basically just over powered them.

Man, it's just too bad they didn't have one more field goal because then we could have called this the "kick six field goals" game.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Last nights issue was what I feared if you had watched AU play much this year. They have been the masters of throwing 50/50 hail mary jump balls to Coates and Williams. Both are huge and Coates and huge AND fast. All of our secondary players are shorter and have had the worst time looking for and playing the ball.

I figured that AU would make some hay on that but just not to the degree that they did. I give the D big credit for tightening up in the redzone and forcing turnover on downs and the Perry INT.....But man LOOK at their yardage. Even in the 2nd half they were still completing those bomb jump balls.

It was just a bad mismatch of their sasquatch WR's against our smaller CB's. As far as I know Mizzou, Oregon, OSU, TCU, and Baylor don't have 2 Lurtches at WR like that.

marcusroby

1st Team
Jan 7, 2004
auburn,al usa
Nick Marshall was the main problem for us as was Johnny Football. Our defense plays to an opponent's tendencies. A Qb like the previous mentioned one cause problems because they do a lot of non-typical things. When we REALLY attempted to pressure Marshall we had success. You just can't get to a guy like that much with de's that can't change directions quickly and accelerate.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
Last nights issue was what I feared if you had watched AU play much this year. They have been the masters of throwing 50/50 hail mary jump balls to Coates and Williams. Both are huge and Coates and huge AND fast. All of our secondary players are shorter and have had the worst time looking for and playing the ball.

I figured that AU would make some hay on that but just not to the degree that they did. I give the D big credit for tightening up in the redzone and forcing turnover on downs and the Perry INT.....But man LOOK at their yardage. Even in the 2nd half they were still completing those bomb jump balls.

It was just a bad mismatch of their sasquatch WR's against our smaller CB's. As far as I know Mizzou, Oregon, OSU, TCU, and Baylor don't have 2 Lurtches at WR like that.
I think you hit on pay dirt with your post.Marshall played the game of his life last night and at times their receivers could do no wrong.That being said we made enough stops in the second half to win and that is the only stat the counts at the end.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
As good as Auburn played in the first half on offense, Bama was substantially better in the second. Give Coates and Williams some credit. They made some excellent plays on jump balls by Nick Marshall (With the exception of one of the Coates TD). What will they do when those two are gone? I doubt Duke Williams stays for his Sr. season. He was a first year JUCO player, if I remember correctly, and Sammy Coates is a Sr. I don't know about Quan Bray. We are playing a lot of young guys on D. I look for a more lopsided win next year. Also, this game turned into a blow out. The last touchdown was in garbage time. The game was over at that point. That shows the disparity in the second half between the two teams (19 points). Again, give AU some credit. They tried something different to win and it worked for a while. They won't have those options next year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.