Question: Who thought Sylve had an int?

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
The first one from Collins was not an interception...good call by the officials.

Now this this one, should have been called an INT To start with. But I can see why they wouldn't overturn. Just makes me always wonder about the LSU game.

CrimsonPride

1st Team
Dec 9, 2001
Chattanooga, TN
It's terrible when I know the rules more than the official. I knew it was an interception. I told my wife it was an interception after the replay because Bama had both hands on the ball. Auburn had one and Sylvie came down first in bounds. I was just flabbergasted when they confirmed the Auburn catch. I thought at worse they would say the play stands as called but to confirm it shows the SEC replay official is just as bad as the other SEC officials.
The replay officials were concentrating on who had possession when it was caught. They were not paying any attention to who came down inbounds first. I honestly don't believe that this crew understood the rule regarding simultaneous possession in the air. Hubert's crew was one of worst I have ever seen and that is saying something watching the SEC over the past few years. I was ready to go down there and hit him upside the head myself

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
The replay officials were concentrating on who had possession when it was caught. They were not paying any attention to who came down inbounds first. I honestly don't believe that this crew understood the rule regarding simultaneous possession in the air. Hubert's crew was one of worst I have ever seen and that is saying something watching the SEC over the past few years. I was ready to go down there and hit him upside the head myself
There was only one replay official, Rocky Goode, and as long as he's been an official, there is no excuse for not knowing the rule--particularly since it would be easy to have a searchable e-document in the booth.

Last edited:

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
There was only one replay official, Rocky Goode, and as long as he's been an official, there is no excuse for not know the rule--particularly since it would be easy to have a searchable e-document in the booth.
Can't agree more with this. Simultaneous possession occurred only after they were on the ground out of bounds when Bray rolled over onto Sylve and place his other hand on the ball. Possession was clearly to Sylve as he came down first with his foot inbounds first. Additionally, I couldn't believe they didn't call for a review immediately.

As Auburn was rushing to the line to get off a snap, I'm screaming for them to call for a review. The head official had to know that the call was questionable at best and should have immediately gone to the booth. It just points to the utter incompetence of some of these guys.

And Rocky Goode, not knowing the rules of possession is inexcusable.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
If you really look at the play both guys had their hands on it as they were going out of bounds neither guy had complete control. The right call should have been a incomplete pass.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The fact Sylve's right foot landed out of bounds should have made the ball dead, no? I believe Bradley's right foot was out of bounds before Bray anything other than a hand on the ball. Therefore, Bradley is out of bounds with possession of the ball.

If Bray took the ball away while on the ground, it would have been incomplete since it took place out of bounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
If you really look at the play both guys had their hands on it as they were going out of bounds neither guy had complete control. The right call should have been a incomplete pass.
That is not the rule. It's not the rule. It is not the rule. And it's not the rule. It was Bama's ball, plain, clean, simple, and without question. We still won, so....

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
The fact Sylve's right foot landed out of bounds should have made the ball dead, no? I believe Bradley's right foot was out of bounds before Bray anything other than a hand on the ball. Therefore, Bradley is out of bounds with possession of the ball.

If Bray took the ball away while on the ground, it would have been incomplete since it took place out of bounds.

Left foot as down first. 1 foot in college is all that's needed. Sylve's foot came down inbounds first. Sylve had possession. Bray had a hand on the ball, but not possession. Even if both had possession Sylve's left foot cam down inbounds first. By rule, it was Bama's ball. The officials blew the call.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
The replay looked to me like Silve wound up hugging the ball to his upper chest while the barner was reaching in to try to take it away. If either had possession, it was Silve.

As Auburn was rushing to the line to get off a snap, I'm screaming for them to call for a review. The head official had to know that the call was questionable at best and should have immediately gone to the booth. It just points to the utter incompetence of some of these guys.
I thought Gus was going to blow a fuse when they went back and reviewed the play even after he had hurried up with another play to try to keep them from looking at it again.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Left foot as down first. 1 foot in college is all that's needed. Sylve's foot came down inbounds first. Sylve had possession. Bray had a hand on the ball, but not possession. Even if both had possession Sylve's left foot cam down inbounds first. By rule, it was Bama's ball. The officials blew the call.
I'm saying Sylve was out of bounds after he caught the ball.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I initially thought it was an Auburn reception. After watching the replays I thought it was an INT. Mike Pereira even Tweeted he thought it should've been Bama's ball.
I'm wit Tut, I thought it was a barn catch then on replay had a fit and then was ready to do things I don't like doing when the booth said what they said. We were screwed.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
I think that was one of those situations where the play stands as called because the evidence wasn't strong enough to support an overturn. Had the call gone the other way it would have stood too. Looking at these pictures...I think it was a bad call.

Those pictures clear it up. Clearly Bama football.

Initially I thought it was a Barn reception even after the replays because the Barner had two hands on it when his second foot touched, but according to Mike Perreira, we had possession first because our guys foot hit first, and in that moment, he had possession and the Barn didn't. But those pictures show that, even if both Sylve and Barner had touched down simultaneously, the Barner still didn't have possession.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
That is not the rule. It's not the rule. It is not the rule. And it's not the rule. It was Bama's ball, plain, clean, simple, and without question. We still won, so....
You are correct we won so it does not matter but in response to your reply, I do not care what the rule is, the ball was not in either players control in bounds. And after that it really does not matter who has it,if it is out of bounds as it clearly was that makes it a incomplete pass.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
You are correct we won so it does not matter but in response to your reply, I do not care what the rule is, the ball was not in either players control in bounds. And after that it really does not matter who has it,if it is out of bounds as it clearly was that makes it a incomplete pass.
This is where we disagree, my friend. Sylve controlled the ball while inbounds.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I learned something new with this play. Thanks to those who posted the information.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
If you look at this linked video at about 1:52 it seems clear that the ball hit Sylve's chest, he cradled it in his arms Bray reached in to try to get it and while both had hands on it Sylve's left foot was the first to touch ground and it was inbounds.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.