TJ Yeldon Appreciation

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Without question the most underappreciated superstar to ever set foot on the Capstone.

We will miss him when he's gone. And last night bring his final game in BDS, he have his ALL. When Blake was shaky, TJ was the only thing working on offense. When Blake was hot, Yeldon was STILL working. He went for over 120 and 2 TDs but is still overshadowed. I know he's battled through injuries this year but he'll leave statistically one of, if not, the best back to ever play in Crimson.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
I agree. Just think at the start of the year there was some debate about who was our best running back. I think the season has answered that question even for the doubters. I was never in doubt.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
In spite of his case of the dropsies at times, I've loved watching the guy. He's got the loosest hips of any RB I've seen at BAMA. When he's healthy enough to show of that jingle in his jangle, he's like watching a work of art.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MemphisBamaDude

1st Team
Nov 12, 2008
Memphis, TN
The week off obviously did him some good. He ran like a grown yesterday. I've been very critical of his propensity for fumbling, but I don't know where this team would be without him.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
Yeldon is a great running back when he has decent blocking. When his OL doesnt get any push, he dances around and let's the defense iniate contact (as do most backs), and when our run game was struggling, TJ was the guy to point the finger at. But he showed how good he is last night. The patience and power steering were incredible. One unique thing about TJ is that he retains his ability to change direction throughout the course of a run. When most guys get going full speed they have to stop and plant to change direction, and it takes a second, but Yeldon just throws his shoulders the other way and he's gone.

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL
Is it a 100% thing that he's gone? No chance for a senior season?
Just my opinion but I think the risk of injury in college, combined wit the short playing life in the NFL almost forces their hand, Trent & Mark would have been better in the NFL with one more year I think but hey they would not have been paid.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Yeldon is a great running back when he has decent blocking. When his OL doesnt get any push, he dances around and let's the defense iniate contact (as do most backs), and when our run game was struggling, TJ was the guy to point the finger at. But he showed how good he is last night. The patience and power steering were incredible. One unique thing about TJ is that he retains his ability to change direction throughout the course of a run. When most guys get going full speed they have to stop and plant to change direction, and it takes a second, but Yeldon just throws his shoulders the other way and he's gone.
Disagree. He gets three yards instead of losing two. He gets seven yards with a slidestep and a burst. He sets up blocks. He destroys blitzers and catches the ball out of the backfield as well as any back I've ever seen. He is as complete a back as has ever played the game at Alabama.

And by all accounts he is a great kid.

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Without question the most underappreciated superstar to ever set foot on the Capstone.

We will miss him when he's gone. And last night bring his final game in BDS, he have his ALL. When Blake was shaky, TJ was the only thing working on offense. When Blake was hot, Yeldon was STILL working. He went for over 120 and 2 TDs but is still overshadowed. I know he's battled through injuries this year but he'll leave statistically one of, if not, the best back to ever play in Crimson.
A very good running back. What I like most about him is his ability to change into high gear when the chips are really down.
He will be missed.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I agree, he is a great leader and always clutch when we need him. I hope the younger guys have learned from his humbleness and leadership for next year.

WaterWoman

1st Team
Nov 25, 2011
With as many injuries as we have seen with the RB position in college football, there is no way he stays. I will forever remember the look on his face when Drake was injured, and one bad hit can cost millions and a chance to fulfill a dream of playing in the NFL.

I love TJ and appreciate all that he has done for us, but he needs to take care of his family and future and get the money while he can.

Thank you, TJ Yeldon. You are forever a valuable part of this program's success.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
He's still got a least 2 games to break 1,000 yrds for the 3rd straight season which is amazing considering he's rarely been 100% healthy for long. He's definitely a WARRIOR.

I've been critical of the horribly timed fumbles like most and honestly that's the only thing that has clouded him. But he definitely is one of the best we have ever had. I love the guy and runs smooth as glass with those wiggling hips and cuts and vision to see the field. He just hasn't had the blocking this year.

For this era I have:
Ingy #1(Heisman and too many clutch MVP performances to count)
Yeldon #2(Extremely memorable LSU screen play and other clutch runs and 3 full years to own the stats)
Lacy#3(UGA and ND games were clutch but only here because injuries hampered production until late)
Trent #4 (no clutch MVP moments)

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
He's still got a least 2 games to break 1,000 yrds for the 3rd straight season which is amazing considering he's rarely been 100% healthy for long. He's definitely a WARRIOR.

I've been critical of the horribly timed fumbles like most and honestly that's the only thing that has clouded him. But he definitely is one of the best we have ever had. I love the guy and runs smooth as glass with those wiggling hips and cuts and vision to see the field. He just hasn't had the blocking this year.

For this era I have:
Ingy #1(Heisman and too many clutch MVP performances to count)
Yeldon #2(Extremely memorable LSU screen play and other clutch runs and 3 full years to own the stats)
Lacy#3(UGA and ND games were clutch but only here because injuries hampered production until late)
Trent #4 (no clutch MVP moments)

I would love to revisit this in a thread after this season. Will be interesting to see where everyone ranks them. We are fortunate to have such a great group of running backs in this era.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
We only had one close game that year and we lost it. Clutch means coming through when the chips are down, in must-have moments.
Exactly what I mean. It's not Trent's fault but we were frontrunning in 2011. The only chance he really had was the LSU loss in the reg season game but he was inexplicably pulled in the redzone. But on the flip side he didn't house a long run for a TD to win it either.

I just can't put him above the other 3 when they have just as impressive seasons with way more Clutch MVP game winning moments.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Depends, I think. If he's not in the 1st round, I know CNS will try to dissuade him from going. BUT, knowing the shelf life for running backs, if he knows he can go in the 2nd round, TJ may seriously consider it and not many might blame him.
That's not true anymore. I know at one point CNS said if a guy graded out 1st round, he wouldn't try and get them to stay and if they didn't he would try and get them to return...but that's not the case at RB. RB's don't grade out as 1st rounders anymore (Trent was the last, and has in effect ruined it for any coming after for the time being). If Yeldon grades out in the 2-3 round, he will likely be advised to jump unless he just WANTS to return.

As others have stated NFL shelf life for RB's, and the fact that they are platooned much more than usual, leads most guys to take their money while they can. That is the smartest move they can make for them and their families, and if i were giving advice to TJ (which I obviously am not), barring a really negative assessment I would tell him to go.

that being said, I am happy he had a good game last night. Proud of him, as he has battled a lot of adversity on the field this year with injuries (and previously with his hands). He's another in the line of GREAT RB's we have had, and always gave 100% effort.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.