UAB fires AD and is planning to shut down UAB football program

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capt. Jack

Suspended
Jun 20, 2006
The argument is, "Why would they shut down the football program after a successful 6-6 season." I say they're shutting it down because 6-6 is seen as a successful season.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
This topic is teetering on the edge of being closed or moved to NS. It's really about politics, rather than being about football. In addition, just about all has been said which can be said and we just have several emotional posters basically stating the same things over and over...
I disagree that it's solely about politics. It's about the football business. Some people don't know how to effectively run a business.

It's about the failure of UAB students, alumni, fans, and the administration to appropriately, effectively, and efficiently administer and support football at UAB.

They've had years to do so and it just hasn't worked.

Seems like everyone blames the UA System BOT and especially a guy with a Jr. at the end of his name. That Jr. didn't get to be a wealthy man by
throwing money in a fire. He is a wise and productive, efficient, effective businessman.
An article title on al.com today: "UA Trustees are sucking the air out of UAB football: opinion" is inaccurate. Seems like it never really had any air/life. The people who could have given it life/air were not effective and supportive in doing so.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I disagree that it's solely about politics. It's about the football business. Some people don't know how to effectively run a business.

It's about the failure of UAB students, alumni, fans, and the administration to appropriately, effectively, and efficiently administer and support football at UAB.

They've had years to do so and it just hasn't worked.

Seems like everyone blames the UA System BOT and especially a guy with a Jr. at the end of his name. That Jr. didn't get to be a wealthy man by
throwing money in a fire. He is a wise and productive, efficient, effective businessman.
An article title on al.com today: "UA Trustees are sucking the air out of UAB football: opinion" is inaccurate. Seems like it never really had any air/life. The people who could have given it life/air were not effective and supportive in doing so.

Really, the question should be
What would Warren Buffet Do?
;)

I hear AUM is planning on launching their new football program in response to UAB's demise. They are having a "ditch the green" party for the first 100 individual UAB season ticket holders that sign up by giving away AUM season tickets. Needless to say, there have been no takers yet because there are no individual UAB season ticket holders to begin with.

Last edited:

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
The argument is, "Why would they shut down the football program after a successful 6-6 season." I say they're shutting it down because 6-6 is seen as a successful season.
6 - 6 with very few paying customers is NOT a successful season. Averaging 101,000+ ticket sales, boosters willing to donate incredible amounts of $$$$$$$$ and effective merchandising with everyone in the state and beyond having your logo on T-shirts, baby clothes, and everything imaginable is a successful season. I have a home full of Crimson Tide stuff. I order stuff online, purchase stuff in person, I receive stuff for birthdays and for Christmas ….. I've never actually seen anyone with UAB Blazers' STUFF.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
One final comment: Who has supported their football program more in the past 10 years: UAB or Hoover High School?

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Ok then you pay for it.
They should merge with Saint Bernard College, give out alms instead of scholarships, and go back to NAIA level competition. And Brother Bo Pelini could be coach-in-residence at the abbey outfitted in sackcloth and the ashes of his career while working out his humility and buffoonery management issues...

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
I was going to post something similar about Cinco Ranch and Katy High Schools as well.
Let's see..............who brought all those fans to last year's record attendance, to the State championship game..............yeah, Allen!

Point well taken. Hoover, and a lot of Texas HS teams get tons more support.

Last edited:

GulfCoastTider

Hall of Fame
One final note before Earle mashes the Move Post button: I attended UA for my first two years, then followed my sweetheart south to USA, where we both earned our degrees. While I will always financially support USA, my heart is at the Capstone.

I suspect that there are many UAB grads with the same tugs upon the heartstrings. But like I wrote earlier, geography and culture are different here than they are in the 205 and 256 area codes.

There's a similar situation playing out south and east of I-65. Troy is doing reasonably well, primarily because there's just enough distance between Troy and Lee County to set them apart. Birmingham is always gonna be a Bama town. Always has. Always will be. Forever and ever, Amen.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
And yet, because of all that money coming in, UAB "deserves" a football program (so the logic goes).
Speaking of logical, if only the extension center had kept its original nickname. The Vulcans, remember? Why, by now, Leonard Nimoy probably would have funded the Spock Chair of Head Football Coach (EEOC PSA: Pointed ears not required because of headset difficulties). They could've patented the Vulcan "live long and prosper" sign as a quarterback's alternative grip on a football. And they even could have had home and away Vulcan mascots, Mr. Spock for the road games, the old rusty clunker on the hill (not Legion Field) holding up not just a popsicle for a traffic accident, but both arms for a touchdown. The possibilities would've been endlessly profitable - think Trekkie conventions filling the stands at Legion Field, with actual college football played during intermissions...Ladies and gentlemen, Your SkyLab, er, You-Ab Vulcans!

GreatMarch

All-SEC
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham, AL
And I hear that all 1500 of their fans are devastated. We should give them free season tickets to Alabama games for next year as a sign of good will.
Ummmm, there is a nice long waiting list for season tickets for Bama football. That begs the question of which list is longer? The waiting list for Bama Football season ticket packages or the actual number of season ticket holders at UAB football.

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
Ummmm, there is a nice long waiting list for season tickets for Bama football. That begs the question of which list is longer? The waiting list for Bama Football season ticket packages or the actual number of season ticket holders at UAB football.
I've been on the waiting list since January of 2007...so I think I know the answer.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The founder of the UAB Football Foundation says the school wouldn't save the program if he raised $5 million this year. Link

"Without college athletics, they are hurting undergrad recruiting," Filler said. "If South Alabama adopts football, if Old Dominion adopts football and UAB is doing the opposite - what does that tell you? They don't want to attract good undergraduate students."
Yeah, because that med-student is really going to UAB because of the football program. Or the commuter from Fultondale went to UAB because of the football team rather than going to Troy.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
My niece was a cheerleader at UAB and she loves the school although she is a big Crimson Tide fan. I haven't had the heart to tell that if the football program can't financially support itself why should taxpayers?
I don't think that it's really necessary that they fully support themselves. However, the staggering amount of the total losses, coupled with the pitiful attendance just doesn't make sense in a state which is struggling to support education at all levels. These claims that, because they're a big employer, they somehow "deserve" a football program, even with no attendance are poppycock. See above - "struggling to support."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.