UAB fires AD and is planning to shut down UAB football program

Status
Not open for further replies.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
They should have been focusing all their money on the bball program from the start. They have a very nice on campus arena, and would have been a force if they had kept Mike Anderson from leaving for Mizzou.
With the 80-85 million (last I heard) which has gone down the rat hole which is the football program from its inception, they could have paid him enough to retain him...

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Never had a chance at succeeding. No chance whatsoever, unless it was by hallucination. Thus dies a program whose greatest victory, ironically, was over Saban and LSU.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
They barely half full their basketball arena, despite having it on campus. We outdraw them despite the fact they are in a bigger market and are more of a basketball school than we are.

For fun reading, check out their board. A bunch of them claim to have dirt on us and that an NCAA investigation is coming.

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
This will be an unpopular opinion here, but I am friends with a rabid UAB fan and lurk on their message board, so I do keep up with their viewpoints, etc.

I don't believe that UAB football has ever been given a chance to truly succeed. They're made to play in a dump that we abandoned a decade ago, they were set to hire Jimbo Fisher for $600,000 (with half raised by a booster group) and the BOT blocked that and forced them to hire Neil Calloway, they secured money for turf on their practice field (which floods when it rains) but the BOT blocked that, etc.

I think there are way too many 1A program and should only be two in our state, but you can't blame them for being upset or for not being as successful when they've been doing it with one hand tied behind their back from the beginning.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
This will be an unpopular opinion here, but I am friends with a rabid UAB fan and lurk on their message board, so I do keep up with their viewpoints, etc.

I don't believe that UAB football has ever been given a chance to truly succeed. They're made to play in a dump that we abandoned a decade ago, they were set to hire Jimbo Fisher for $600,000 (with half raised by a booster group) and the BOT blocked that and forced them to hire Neil Calloway, they secured money for turf on their practice field (which floods when it rains) but the BOT blocked that, etc.

I think there are way too many 1A program and should only be two in our state, but you can't blame them for being upset or for not being as successful when they've been doing it with one hand tied behind their back from the beginning.
One must ask oneself if the BOT was blocking those decisions to prevent the football program or to use the money in a more reasonable spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I'm sorry, but I just don't buy that the BOT hamstrung their program. By the time the losses mounted into the mid eight figures, it was natural and obligational for the BOT to rein them in some. The program failed for the same reasons those of us who'd been around a while predicted it to fail. UAB is a commuter school with few real fans. Thank God, the PTB at UAH have had the wisdom to restrict their programs to "niche" sports. Their volleyball, basketball, soccer and hockey programs have a real following, unlike UAB. And they've had sense enough to not get "too big for their britches."

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Ok, I am ignorant of University politics, but why would they introduce a bill that would expand the University system board and include Mayors and County government leaders? I can't see how that is a good idea except as a power grab .the University board would then be as dysfunctional as many local governments . The University system has increased in prestige and academically in the last 10 years , why do anything to jeopardize recent gains in national perception?

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I'm sorry, but I just don't buy that the BOT hamstrung their program. By the time the losses mounted into the mid eight figures, it was natural and obligational for the BOT to rein them in some. The program failed for the same reasons those of us who'd been around a while predicted it to fail. UAB is a commuter school with few real fans. Thank God, the PTB at UAH have had the wisdom to restrict their programs to "niche" sports. Their volleyball, basketball, soccer and hockey programs have a real following, unlike UAB. And they've had sense enough to not get "too big for their britches."
Well, the BOT did not allow UAB to hire Jimbo Fisher. UAB could of been the next Florida state .( blue font)

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
One more, then I will quit, but At one time, the NCAA had strict standards to achieve and maintain Div I status . These requirements were in place partly to protect universities from the huge money losses we see at schools like UAB. what happened to these requirements? There is no way UAB qualified under those standards.

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011
I'm sorry, but I just don't buy that the BOT hamstrung their program.
then you don't buy into facts

Little Bear nixed the Fisher hiring saying that $600k for a coach was preposterous even though $300k of it was going to be paid privately which meant that only $300k would have hit the payroll. So he nixed this hire and put his buddy Neil Callaway in at $378,000 then Watson Brown at $375,000

so paying 300k for Fisher wasn't fiscally responsible but putting in complete idiots for 25% more was prudent?

Little Bear only has another 3 months before he has to retire from the BOT and this was his crowning achievement. What is happening at UAB is nothing short of disgusting good ol boy politics because an old man has a vendetta to win

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011
One more, then I will quit, but At one time, the NCAA had strict standards to achieve and maintain Div I status . These requirements were in place partly to protect universities from the huge money losses we see at schools like UAB. what happened to these requirements? There is no way UAB qualified under those standards.
26 schools (all from non power conferences) lose more money each year than UAB. If we only went forward with programs that actually make money we'd have a D1 consisting of approximately 20 programs

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Well, the BOT did not allow UAB to hire Jimbo Fisher. UAB could of been the next Florida state .( blue font)
Let's back up a moment. Iirc, UAB was set to interview Jimbo Fisher and then possibly offer him the job. I don't believe there was an agreement in place so you have to wonder whether he would have accepted the job.
My guess is no. That's just mho and I'm sure others will disagree. Since none of us will ever know the truth of it, that pretty much makes the point moot.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
26 schools (all from non power conferences) lose more money each year than UAB. If we only went forward with programs that actually make money we'd have a D1 consisting of approximately 20 programs
That wasn't the requirement for acceptance into D1.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Let's back up a moment. Iirc, UAB was set to interview Jimbo Fisher and then possibly offer him the job. I don't believe there was an agreement in place so you have to wonder whether he would have accepted the job.
My guess is no. That's just mho and I'm sure others will disagree. Since none of us will ever know the truth of it, that pretty much makes the point moot.

Notice blue font after the post.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
then you don't buy into facts

Little Bear nixed the Fisher hiring saying that $600k for a coach was preposterous even though $300k of it was going to be paid privately which meant that only $300k would have hit the payroll. So he nixed this hire and put his buddy Neil Callaway in at $378,000 then Watson Brown at $375,000

so paying 300k for Fisher wasn't fiscally responsible but putting in complete idiots for 25% more was prudent?

Little Bear only has another 3 months before he has to retire from the BOT and this was his crowning achievement. What is happening at UAB is nothing short of disgusting good ol boy politics because an old man has a vendetta to win
Paul Bryant Jr. deserves more respect than that. Your post is disgusting.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Here's an idea, how about all of the UAB supporters put their money where their mouths are. Finance your team yourselves and leave us taxpayers out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.