UAB fires AD and is planning to shut down UAB football program

Status
Not open for further replies.

bamaee04

All-SEC
Nov 15, 2004
Birmingham, AL
I know some UAB faithful that actually attended games and a couple former football players, and I feel for them if true. With that being said, this program has been dead for years. They made the jump to primetime way too fast, and they should have stayed at the FCS level at most. They actually could have possibly gotten leftover in state talent that wanted to stay close to home and be remotely competitive. It only makes sense at this point to shut it down. Without a smaller and up to date venue to host games, better facilities, and buy in from fans and the community they have no chance at success going forward.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Earned my graduate degree at UAB, but the football program is hemorrhaging money hand over fist and really brings very little to the University, IMHO. If they had gone the FCS route I think they could have a solid program. Simply put, they tried to be something they weren't and as with most things in Birmingham they had pie in the sky dreams of money coming in magically from the program and wasted time and money on it while ignoring other infrastructure improvements that would have brought much more in tangible results.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Yep while I hate this for the players, this was needed BADLY! No way they could sustain themselves with that kind of support by the "fans". It's just stupid to have a team play on a field that is NOT your own when 300 people show up to the games. I've seen bigger crowds at the Met for Hoover High School games this year!

Sucks for the players and for Bill Clark who truly earned his money this year, he should be able to find some work for sure.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I will echo the sentiment of several other posters.

I feel for the players and coaches who will no longer have a program (though any player who stays will have to have their scholly honored I do believe), but it's something that was over due. they should have stuck to DII or FBS and they could have survived. making the jump to FCS signed their death certificate.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Would love to see Bama hire Bill Clark. Gus should make a phone call to him to replace Ellis Johnson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I think some of the players should be able to transfer... and Bill Clark should be considered for a higher level job.. he did enough to prove that he can coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.