UAB fires AD and is planning to shut down UAB football program

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
they should also force UAB to honor any scholarship for a player who may not get a chance to transfer.
Was UAB giving out four year scholarships? Seems to me that would be fairly irresponsible for their program that size, then again I don't follow that sort of thing. Otherwise, this is another one of those double standards. The player can leave at any time, he has no true commitment to the school, but the school has an obligation to provide him a sports scholarship. I never did care for that sort of thing much...

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
If people really knew that UAB's status as a preeminent research hospital was in jeopardy due to declining reinvestment then I don't see how anyone could disagree with this decision. Sure it maybe unpopular today but 6 months from now no one will care. It has been talked here locally among business groups that UAB was in a fix if something didn't change. This is the first step. The next $100M not invested in football will be redirected into research retaining top medical talent that is successful in obtaining research grants that will probably yield 10x1.

UAB is making the decision to focus on what it is really good at - research and training top flight medical students. The athletic department is not contributing toward that mission.

Overall this is a tough decision made by people who know to make them and doing what is best for that he institution and that he his state in the long run.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
If people really knew that UAB's status as a preeminent research hospital was in jeopardy due to declining reinvestment then I don't see how anyone could disagree with this decision. Sure it maybe unpopular today but 6 months from now no one will care. It has been talked here locally among business groups that UAB was in a fix if something didn't change. This is the first step. The next $100M not invested in football will be redirected into research retaining top medical talent that is successful in obtaining research grants that will probably yield 10x1.

UAB is making the decision to focus on what it is really good at - research and training top flight medical students. The athletic department is not contributing toward that mission.

Overall this is a tough decision made by people who know to make them and doing what is best for that he institution and that he his state in the long run.
I agree....very good post.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
It's used for the Magic City Classic every year, so there's that.
Where will armPITT play all their bowl games now? (Not that they deserve to play in any. Another commuter college, built around a medical school.)

(OK, they have lots of other grad programs as well. Big deal. The place is a dump, and they no longer play their games on campus. Sound familiar?)

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
You got $100,000,000+ to give them to put in that black hole which is what it is. If they had 50,000 plus fans showing up to support them at each game, it might be different. They've had years to sell this program. Hopefully, they can keep men's/women's basketball. But if the AD has lost his job, then I guess there's no one to captain this Titanic.

Let's see......we can either dump $100M, into a losing football program, the no one really cares about, and would need (at a minimum) a major upgrade in its playing venue..........

Or, we can pour that money into keeping the med school in a position of prominence. Gee, that is a hard decision to make.

I guess the taxpayers of Alabama really need 3 major FBS football programs, more than a major medical research institute.

Even in the "Football Capital of the South", that makes no sense.

Knew a lot of MBA commuter students that were excited when they brought in Gene Bartow, to start a BB program. I bet a lot of them are still are fans of it. Then, someone outgrew their britches, and it leads to this.

Last edited:

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina

Yes...kudos to them. UAB football is not needed and a waste of money. They have carried the medical research baton for Alabama for decades and need to keep doing that.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

This.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
Was UAB giving out four year scholarships? Seems to me that would be fairly irresponsible for their program that size, then again I don't follow that sort of thing. Otherwise, this is another one of those double standards. The player can leave at any time, he has no true commitment to the school, but the school has an obligation to provide him a sports scholarship. I never did care for that sort of thing much...
In football not quite that simple if you leave D1 to play D1 if the coach does not want you to leave it could cost you a year or 2 of eligibility. Sometimes even if the coach releases you the NCAA will deny the transfer unless it is a hardship transfer. Most of our guys that transfer do so with the coaches blessing because they were probably never going to see the field.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
It's used for the Magic City Classic every year, so there's that.
Mississippi Memorial Stadium in Jackson that used to host Ole Miss and Mitippi Tate games every year is now Jackson State's home stadium. That's about all it's used for.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
WSFA just did a report on this from UAB's Campus were a crowd has formed to protest this move and support the football program, even the pep band was there. Looked like there was more folks at this rally then most of their football games. They didn't care enough to go to the games but, now they care when cameras are present.

I do feel bad for the kids but the NCAA will grant them waivers but, they should also force UAB to honor any scholarship for a player who may not get a chance to transfer.
Visual evidence of said rally...

In football not quite that simple if you leave D1 to play D1 if the coach does not want you to leave it could cost you a year or 2 of eligibility. Sometimes even if the coach releases you the NCAA will deny the transfer unless it is a hardship transfer. Most of our guys that transfer do so with the coaches blessing because they were probably never going to see the field.
Different circumstances. Bill Clark wouldn't have a say in where a player transferred since there would be no football program.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Protest going outside of UAB administration building RIGHT NOW
Instead of protesting, those protesting should be bringing BIG BAGS of $$$,$$$,$$$ for the needy UAB. Did they have more than 3 protestors (total season ticket holders)?

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
What will be done with Legion Field? Is it used for anything else? Pardon my ignorance but I do not live in the area.
They probably need to do to it what was done to Ebbets Field in Brooklyn, New York ASAP.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
UA grad and no UAB fan here. In fact I am not sad to see them go. CB4's post nailed it for me, Bartow killed UAB

all of that said UAB brings far more money into the State than we do. Over 5 Billion a year and is either #1 or #2 (to redstone arsenal) depending on what stat you chose to use in employment in the state. The posters who claim they do more for the State are simply correct.

As a college though, they are a commuter school with far too few fans to support a D1 program

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
If this is the Alabama BoT's doing, what a disgrace. In pure value to the state, UAB blows the Capstone out of the water. If they want a football team, they should be able to have one, no matter if 3 people attend each game (I saw one earlier this year with at least 25,000 in the stands). UAB should be free of the Alabama BoT's influence, and I hope this fiasco finally does it for them.

There, I said it. I'm a lifelong fan of the Crimson Tide, but this is a disgrace.
Do you really think UAB would be what it us today if not for UA? If UAB could of decided their own fate in the 50s and 60s, UAB may not be in existence anymore. The UA system has greatly benefitted UAB

I have a solution, emancipate UAB, give it autonomy! call it Birmingham University and let UA take its medical school back. The city of Tuscaloosa is big enough now to support a full fledged training hospital.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.